Turn on thread page Beta

Is youth hostelling by myself weird? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Probably not, but get membership of HI anyway, it'll pay for itself within 3 nights or so. I wouldn't use the online booking service for HI by the way, I was never sure whether I was getting my deposit refunded or not, do it by email instead. Much easier.
    What is HI? Sorry to be an idiot...

ReputationRep:
    Hosteling International =)

ReputationRep:
    Is it necessary? Or do I only need to be a member if I want to stay in HI's own hostels? I've just looked at the website and it seems a lot of hassle to even find out the price of membership, let alone buy it. I've already found the hostels I want to stay in on hostelbookers, so can I just book them straight without joining anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joanna May)
    Is it necessary? Or do I only need to be a member if I want to stay in HI's own hostels? I've just looked at the website and it seems a lot of hassle to even find out the price of membership, let alone buy it. I've already found the hostels I want to stay in on hostelbookers, so can I just book them straight without joining anything?
    If you buy from the YHA and are under 26 then it costs a tenner. Whether it is worth doing depends on the following:

If you are staying in HI hostels worldwide, then you need to check on this website (http://www.hihostels.com/web/m-benefits.en.htm) whether you need membership, or whether a discount is available.

Generally the discount is about 10% I think, work out whether it'd pay back cost of membership.

Whether it is worth doing also depends on how much hostelling you think you will do over time. The YHA costs £3 extra for non members. The YHA is the main chain of hostels in the UK.

You can buy membership here: http://www.yha.org.uk/yha-membership...ship-form.aspx

Obviously it also depends on how much time you have, it'll take a few days to come. You should be able to book now though.

If you are not staying in HI hostels then you need do none of the above, as it won't get you any discounts.

ReputationRep:
    I've just realised I have an offer for free membership that I got with my railcard. Might as well get it! Thanks a lot, the website was irritating me, but you've cleared it up for me! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm the OP, man it was probably the best experience in my life. All that freedom

I met my fling there, goregeous girl (Belgians are fit ) , sadly its over now though.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.