'Easier' A levels Watch

jabed786
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wouldn't say Business Studies is an easy subject (although I haven't studied it so I can't really say), but it is definitely seen as inferior to Economics, which is why it's on the Oxbridge blacklist.
yeah it is inferior isnt it? I wish my 6th form offered Econ, but it didnt - so Business and (human) geography was the closest I could get to the subject
foundintransmission
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, it's hard to say really, seeing as I don't think there is anyone who has done every single A level, and therefore been able to compare them. But I think the general consensus is that sciences and maths are considered 'hard' subjects. I can't really say personally, seeing as I do Bio, Chem and Maths. But I did Photography AS and got an A, so I would personally consider that easy :p:
jen2094
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Oladz)
in general, things with "studies" in the name are said to be easier and possibly psychology in comparisson to something like history
I do Psychology and History and Psychology is much harder and a LOT more to learn
Oladz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
fair enough, but about the same number of people did AS Biology and Psychology at my college last year but twice as many people got A in psychology, varies from person to person i think
jen2094
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Oladz)
fair enough, but about the same number of people did AS Biology and Psychology at my college last year but twice as many people got A in psychology, varies from person to person i think
Maybe it's just my school/teachers because for us it was the other way around.
A Stranger in Moscow
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I find Psychology to be the easiest subject I've done.

(Original post by curtis)
(maths, physics, german, philosophy, english lit)

Just want to add that in my experience as well, languages are by far the hardest subjects. I know it's down to the person but a lot of people in my classes agreed that they were some of the hardest exams we'd ever taken. That's not to say they're impossible, just blood y hard lol!
I've never met anyone with a similar combination to me, but I did those (but swap physics for the better science chemistry, and german for spanish)

And I agree, languages are pretty difficult.

This is kind of offtopic but does anyone that actually does Physics think it's hard? I mean people state the hard A levels as the sciences, Maths and FM, but I don't actually know anyone that has struggled with Physics (in fact they mostly say that it's really easy), particularly as most people seem to combine it with Maths anyway I think it's probably one of the easier subjects, right?
But anyway if you're good at Maths then M, FM and Physics are going to be easy for you, excepting maybe FP1-3 and the later mechanics modules, I guess.
And equally, if you're good at Maths, you might struggle with something less logical, like English Literature or Biology or Law...
Bagration
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Gov+politics and Economics is ******* easy.
Juggy123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
sociology
childcare
psychology
travel and tourism
i.c.t applied (if your good at coursework)
BrightGirl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Maths is very easy if you're naturally good at it.
mchammer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by jabed786)
yeah it is inferior isnt it? I wish my 6th form offered Econ, but it didnt - so Business and (human) geography was the closest I could get to the subject
Well my course is called economics and business, would this be seen as inferior by unversities?

I am only interested in the economics also as it goes well with geography, which is my favourite subject.
TheGimpMan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Kizz91)
Sociology is NOT easy.

I don't think any of them are, compared to GCSE standards, but then...business seems to involve very little effort, but then I don't do it so I couldn't comment...
Meh, I do business, wouldn't really call it easy.

Media on the other hand... :p:

EDIT: Meh, looked at the Cambridge list and both of the above are on it.
Good job I don't fancy going to Cambridge, eh?
*Passion*Fruit*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
BTW
I hear PE is 'easy', before the knew syllabass this year they didn't have to do essays - the highest mark for a question was 5.
Though i'm sure it wasn't easy at all. My teacher talks about it a lot and thinks that it is outragous...'what kind of A level is that...' etc.
Kizz91
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Promesse)
BTW
I hear PE is 'easy', before the knew syllabass this year they didn't have to do essays - the highest mark for a question was 5.
Though i'm sure it wasn't easy at all. My teacher talks about it a lot and thinks that it is outragous...'what kind of A level is that...' etc.
Tbh most of the new A Levels seem easier...I'm so annoyed that the new Psych is short-answer, because I do fine on short questions - the only reason I can't get an A is that 24 mark essays are impossible to do! :mad:
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think that blacklisted subjects = easy subjects. Just by traditional standards they don't show the same academic level as traditionally more respected subjects like maths, english literature and sciences. I really don't think any subjects are easier than others on a level other than personal strengths.
jabed786
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well my course is called economics and business, would this be seen as inferior by unversities?

I am only interested in the economics also as it goes well with geography, which is my favourite subject.
I dont think it would be seen as inferior by some universities - if it was then why would they offer the course? But I do think if say Alice was studying BSc Economics and Business and Fred was studying Economics - both people had similar work exp and qualities. I think Fred would have a higher chance of job. I do think Econ and Business is a good course - heck I'm applying for a similar course (business economics)
goats
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
critical think a level, if you want an extreme challenge pick that
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think Critical Thinking is an easy subject at all, although we don't get any homework for it. It is accepted as good evidence of academic skills.
goats
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 257532)
I don't think Critical Thinking is an easy subject at all, although we don't get any homework for it. It is accepted as good evidence of academic skills.
lol
jen2094
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 257532)
Although the person above me can't put anything more constructive than 'lol'

I think you're right. Most people think it's so easy and then get E's in it. It's actually respected by Oxbridge as you have to pass an exam in it to get in.
reddevilleanne
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by will1989)
I see no reason geography should be any easier than biology, or computing than physics, or maths than theology.

So what you said about science being harder isn't true, as shown below:

CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY'S 'LESS IDEAL' A-LEVELS

Accounting
Art and design
Business studies
Communication studies
Dance
Design and technology
Drama and theatre studies
Film studies
Health and social care
Home economics
Information and Communication Technology
Leisure studies
Media studies
Music technology
Performance studies
Performing arts
Photography
Physical education
Sports studies
Travel and tourism

So therefore loads of arts/humanitys left to include as suitable, and therefore 'hard'.
Health and Social Care is not easy. Well, it kinda is if you understand it completely like I do (I get distinctions on every unit of coursework), but the course I'm doing makes you do 12 units in 2 years and it's constant coursework - therefore it is not easy at all. It puts a hell of a lot of pressure and stress on you.

I find Media Studies easy simply coz I have a knack for it and I enjoy it. However, if you don't, you struggle and find it hard, like the majority of my class do.

Personally, I don't see how anyone can say which subjects are hard and which are easy coz everyone's different - sometimes things come naturally to you, sometimes they don't.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (77)
26.92%
No (209)
73.08%

Watched Threads