Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinglepupskye)
    I can't understand why any young fit person would not want to do PE. Provided your school offers gym or dance classes among the more usual football, athletics stuff then what is the problem? Keeping fit is good for you and stops you from becoming a lard ass.

Or prhaps you already are a lard ass and that is the real problem?
    Because I am not interested in it, it is not getting me into university, and if I wanted to be a health obsessive I would choose to do it myself. I don't care for other people mandating how I spend my spare time for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Because I am not interested in it, it is not getting me into university, and if I wanted to be a health obsessive I would choose to do it myself. I don't care for other people mandating how I spend my spare time for me.
    There's nothing like over-exaggeration is there?

It's not your spare time actually. If it is part of your curriculum then you are supposed to be there.

Not everything is about university. You probably waste more time on this forum then you are being asked to spend taking exercise.

ReputationRep:

It's not your spare time actually. If it is part of your curriculum then you are supposed to be there.

Not everything is about university. You probably waste more time on this forum then you are being asked to spend taking exercise.
    Presumably it would be my spare time since it would be during a period that would otherwise be free...

Probably I do. At least I choose to do it. Anyway I detest competitive sport because I am rubbish at it and have no intention or desire to improve, actual physical training I have no particular objection to.

I'm not forced to do it, I was just imagining if I was.

ReputationRep:
    slackers! and then you are surprised at the obesity of english nation

ReputationRep:
    I think they're doing the right thing. Like 80% of my fellow students are at least obese/overweight. They should force everyone to do it, including people who work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Presumably it would be my spare time since it would be during a period that would otherwise be free...

Probably I do. At least I choose to do it. Anyway I detest competitive sport because I am rubbish at it and have no intention or desire to improve, actual physical training I have no particular objection to.

I'm not forced to do it, I was just imagining if I was.
    But PE is not just competitive sport.

As I said originally, if options such as gyms and dance classes or even yoga or Pilates were offered, then I can't see the problem. Even swimming if the school has access to a pool. Rather than seeing PE as a narrow thing why not see it as an opportunity to try out some activities which you may not get the chance to do later in life.

If a school doesn't offer these activities then ask for them to be provided. Most PE teachers would jump at the opportunity to offer different sports or exercise and would love to have a class of enthusiastic pupils rather than having to whip people into action!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    its better than being fat
    Too true :yep:

ReputationRep:
    go to college instead?

I honestly can't understand why anyone would choose to go to sixth-form over college anyway... :dontknow:

if it's not as local/covieniant then I 'spose you'll have to weigh up whether the extra effort is worth it for getting to drop PE

ReputationRep:
    Disliking PE does not make you lazy/assumed obese/etc! I dreaded it for the 5 years I had to do it in secondary school. It meant an hour of pretending to play netball/hockey/, usually in the freezing cold, always with the horrible popular girls being nasty. Only thing I enjoyed was the annual cross country, at least you can't miss the ball and be laughed/shouted at in that.

ReputationRep:
    I go to a girls school...Think thats why we don't have to do it..
    lack of male changing rooms lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superluke2k8)
    I go to a girls school...Think thats why we don't have to do it..
    lack of male changing rooms lol
    surely you could just force the issue and use the girls changing rooms

ReputationRep:
    Suppose they could say that if you don't like it then you shouldn't have joined the 6th form, I would still tell them where to go though, just like when they tried to make me wear a stupid school t-shirt and shorts, hahaha no.... turned up in my own long sleeve football shirts and training stuff, they stopped arguing with me when they eventually realised that I wasn't going to listen, so I got the last 2 years of school with no moaning.

For 6th form we have got 4 hours on our timetable, but we can do it as and when we want, so in the summer it's quite a lot (we have outdoor stuff), but this week has only been 1 hour. Mostly it's just groups go and play football then some others might come out and join in etc. Only twice in over a year of 6th form have people ever said "Right Thursday lesson 2 we'll do 6th form games" etc where they all go on the trampoline or do a tennis competition something like that. I never bother with anything other than football even when it’s just a few, some people don’t bother at all, they don’t moan at us, a lot of the time it just happens anyway, like the other week we had 20 playing football lol, so it’s quite relaxed which is good. Making 6th formers do PE though, funniest thing I have heard, crazy!!

ReputationRep:
    Evidently.

ReputationRep:
    As to the the it's a school rule thing.. you chose that school :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hiwatt)
    For a good few years now my school has enforced a rule that you have to do PE all the way to the end of 6th form.

Yes, that means that at the age of 18 (some people coming 19 in July etc.) people are making up excuses to not do games, hiding from teachers and so on. It's really quite pathetic seeing teachers chasing after pupils who don't do PE because they either have too much work or they decided they are old enough to make their own choices.
    Yet are clearly not mature enough to accept the rules of an establishment which they are privileged to attend.

If you want to go there, then you accept their rules. They offer a course of subjects which they believe will create decent, well rounded people out of you louts - if you don't like it, go elsewhere.

Anyone else think this is stupid in 6th form? Maybe for people lower than 6th form, but isn't 6th form were you are meant to be treated like a young adult? And every week people in my school are getting shouted at because they don't want to do 60 minutes of some dumb ass activity?
    You'll still be treated like a child if you behave like a child.

When I went to university, I had to take classes I didn't particularly want to. Did I grumble? Did I complain? No, of course not, I got on with it because that is what was expected of someone who was to graduate from that institution.

ReputationRep:
    what a waste of teachers time, we were supposed to do an hour a week, and that didnt last a week, and the teachers couldnt care less.

ReputationRep:
    But PE is not just competitive sport.

As I said originally, if options such as gyms and dance classes or even yoga or Pilates were offered, then I can't see the problem. Even swimming if the school has access to a pool. Rather than seeing PE as a narrow thing why not see it as an opportunity to try out some activities which you may not get the chance to do later in life.

If a school doesn't offer these activities then ask for them to be provided. Most PE teachers would jump at the opportunity to offer different sports or exercise and would love to have a class of enthusiastic pupils rather than having to whip people into action!
    Agreed, but still I believe traditional team sports are considerably more valuable to young men and women than doing yoga.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha.. I'm so glad that my free periods weren't clogged up with pointless P.E. More time pissing about in the Film Room.

Avoiding an hour of what essentially is a waste of time =/= being fat, lazy, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tips1402)
    I used to skip or try and get out of P.E at secondary school all the time but that was only because we always did football and I do mean every single time and I am possibly the worst footballer ever.

Perhaps the people labelling others as "lazy" and "pathetic" or just slating them should try being completely humiliated and angrily shouted at for over 3 hours a week, every week for 5 years before coming to such rash conclusions.

I did exercise outside of school by playing tennis and track sport but because of the football in the school P.E I always tried to get out of it. And I'm not fat btw.
    Substitute '11' for '5', and you'd have my predicament.

I suffer from significantly impaired depth-perception due to moderate strabismus (which I correct using contact-lenses), and as a consequence am inherently abysmal at any sport requiring the interception and co-ordinated manipulation of fast-moving objects (i.e. virtually all of them). Which meant that I could derive no enjoyment from such activities in a recreational capacity; which translated to my being relatively unfit, and therefore unable to excel at athletics either.

Had I been permitted to simply ride my bike or play badminton in small groups, I would've been perfectly happy: instead, I was to endure systematic persecution for the better part of my formative years under the guise of 'education'. Hurrah.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.