Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    I disagree. Whilst his parents meeting was important, it did not shape the history of the world in any way. It merely created the potential for someone to change the world; this happens during any moment of contraception the world over. It wasn't an important historical fact at all because it had no direct impact on anyone. Events such as Tony Blair joining the Labour Party have had much more impact because they are a lot more relevent and have affected a great many people. If you're going to be too pedantic and take things back to peoples' parents having sex, then you need to go back to their parents having sex, etc, until you find the very root of history. Not only that, but talking about peoples' births is completely irrelevent to their historical importance as it, in itself, has no relevence to anything whatsoever, other than making the parents happy at having conceived a child. It's quite unhistorical.

Are u doing History AEA. The stuff about what is history is the main part of the course. We were made to read the book be Carr and thought it was good, but probably only cus he picked out chapters for us to read. The whole stuff is really wierd, and makes ur head hurt when u wanna differentiate between a fact and a historical fact. or the difference between the past and history. But all in all v interesting if u can get ur head round it.

ReputationRep:
    QUOTE: Every event has an infinate number of causes, all of equal importance. Ignore Carr.

Never ignore Carr. He was a great man/mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooloflaw)
    QUOTE: Every event has an infinate number of causes, all of equal importance. Ignore Carr.

Never ignore Carr. He was a great man/mind.
    Great historian, yes. Always correct, no.

ReputationRep:
    I concur with the Dean of History at Cambridge University, Richard J Evans. He has written a wonderful rationale of postmodernism, arguing with intent Carr's outdated manner with factual differentiation. Carr, of course, was a great mind and is massively relevent. But he should no longer be the sould doxa of the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ejcurtis)
    I concur with the Dean of History at Cambridge University, Richard J Evans. He has written a wonderful rationale of postmodernism, arguing with intent Carr's outdated manner with factual differentiation. Carr, of course, was a great mind and is massively relevent. But he should no longer be the sould doxa of the subject.
    Evan's totally rejects postmodernism though. But err yes, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Who is this Carr you all speak of? I take it he writes books and is a historian.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, he does. Interesting man though, with Mr Irving and all!

Are you a Cambridge historian?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, these quotes are really good. I think some1 (and i volunteer tek, as people like him) should make a thread where people can post quotes for all different subjects - like law, medicine, maths the sciences, geography etc....they are very cool, and im guessing they would look impressive on Personal Statements and be useful in interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ejcurtis)
    Yes, he does. Interesting man though, with Mr Irving and all!

Are you a Cambridge historian?
    Kildare got an Oxford offer.

ReputationRep:
    Well Im doing a philosophy of history module in my philosophy and history of ideas degree and i could email you my reading list if you like, I think the main books have been pretty much mentioned already.

K.R Popper 'The poverty of historism' offers quite an interesting opposing view to Collingwoods' idealism or Hegel's determinism also.

ReputationRep:
    I've read Evans, Collingwood, Jenkins, Tosh, Carr and Hegel and a bit of Foucault and Said (although these two aren't 'historians' as such) over the last year. Of these, I personally found Collingwood (and Said) the most interesting but I think you'd get something out of all of them.

ReputationRep:
    "History is humanity's failing attempt to justify its own exitstence"

ReputationRep:
    What is History?

Stuff that happened in the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Oh poop, he disagrees with Carr....
    Anyway, I'm going to order 'The Pursuit of History' and 'In Defence Of history'.

What else has everyone done to prepare? Just made notes on each book?
    Stop dwelling in the past and look to the future...

ReputationRep:
    u guys are really scaring me with ur history knowledge!! i read a couple of kershaw books for my interview and didnt get asked anything about them!! ive not even heard of half the stuff ur tlaking about! remind me why im taking history again???

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.