Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BABYGUY)
    "I think that the fact people don't get an A is because they don't put in anywhere near the same amount of effort as they would for subjects that universities accept."

thankgod somebody in here has a brain.

and by the way tek, i have come to the conclusion that you are a girl, because by looking at your photo, i was unsure, but you have a skinny figure and a girly face........so i presume you are a boyish-looking girl.
    ohh yes, and *YOU ARE ONE ASSSHOLE TEK*
    At least he put his photo up...one wonders why you didnt.

ReputationRep:
    and by the way tek, i have come to the conclusion that you are a girl, because by looking at your photo, i was unsure, but you have a skinny figure and a girly face........so i presume you are a boyish-looking girl.
    ohh yes, and *YOU ARE ONE ASSSHOLE TEK*
    Stfu, fool. You seem to find amusement in annoying other members, don't you? Do you have nothing costructive to say whatsoever? Do you lack a life to such an extent that you spend hours spamming internet message boards? Is it not enough to be disliked by all those who know you personally? Do you strive to be disliked by strangers from the internet too? Or perhaps it's a question of intelligence? Yes...you're too dimwitted to be able to construct a coherent sentence..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    TBH there is absolutely no evidence about the "quality" of students put forward for GS...which would be the only way to prove this either way (ie the average GCSE score for all people studying A levels and just for those studying GS). So we're both basing our opinions on instinct not fact and will have to agree to differ

And yes I've never claimed that GS is used in selection procedures...it's used in confirmation (between A level results being released to universities and the end of clearing - when all the decisions are being made with real reasults not predicted ones)...but IMO the amount of effort required to get it is well worth the investment in a small insurance policy should you drop a grade.
    It is SO obvious that if students are forced to do a subject then the average student will not be as good as the average student were the subject selected as opposed to being compulsory. Surely, you dont need facts to tell you this....

..If maths were made compulsory do you really think that the percentage of A grades will be 40% (as it is currently)- or do you suppose that it might go down quite considerably!

ReputationRep:
    Wow a brain! Hehe. But I did get a C for general studies though so not that much of one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Stfu, fool. You seem to find amusement in annoying other members, don't you? Do you have nothing costructive to say whatsoever? Do you lack a life to such an extent that you spend hours spamming internet message boards? Is it not enough to be disliked by all those who know you personally? Do you strive to be disliked by strangers from the internet too? Or perhaps it's a question of intelligence? Yes...you're too dimwitted to be able to construct a coherent sentence..!
    lol

ReputationRep:
    "It is SO obvious that if students are forced to do a subject then the average student will not be as good as the average student were the subject selected as opposed to being compulsory. Surely, you dont need facts to tell you this....

..If maths were made compulsory do you really think that the percentage of A grades will be 40% (as it is currently)- or do you suppose that it might go down quite considerably!"

hooray, ralf has a brain too!!!

ohh yes and bhaal;
    "ke daaaa, balba tchatikka.."

ReputationRep:
    "It is SO obvious that if students are forced to do a subject then the average student will not be as good as the average student were the subject selected as opposed to being compulsory. Surely, you dont need facts to tell you this....

..If maths were made compulsory do you really think that the percentage of A grades will be 40% (as it is currently)- or do you suppose that it might go down quite considerably!"

ohh yes and bhaal;
    dirdy maddy puddy benjorda, you are a sierra lan!

ohh yes and bhaal;
    Which is exactly why the A grade figure for general studies is so low!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    It is SO obvious that if students are forced to do a subject then the average student will not be as good as the average student were the subject selected as opposed to being compulsory. Surely, you dont need facts to tell you this....
    I prefer to make statements based on facts, where that isn't possible I (like everyone else) can only use my basic instincts.

The thing to remember is that GS is not compulsory to every A level student, it made up only 8.5% of A levels in 2002/03...if everyone was forced to take it as a 4th A level that figure would be far far higher (25% to be specific)...even at AS level the takeup is only at 11%.

If *every* A level student was forced to take GS then you would expect the pass rates to mirror the overall pass rates (21% As at A level, 15% at AS) which it doesn't.

You propose that that is because the bias of people taking it is towards weaker students, I propose that it's because of the format of the exam/syllabus drawing on wide ranging skills - more skills than you might need to pass A levels in 3 sciences or 3 essay based subjects.

To prove/disprove your proposal would take more data than is available...without that data I prefer to hold onto my previous opinion...what you seem to assume as an obvious fact I don't see any evidence for (anecdotal or otherwise - in fact my anecdotal evidence contradicts your theory) so I see no reason to change my opinion...and I cannot prove to you that your opinion is wrong so I agree to disagree and move on...there's no point in me arguing against your opinion based on your experiences without any hard evidence so I wont waste my or your time.

What is obvious to me is that, having achieved an A grade at AS level, General Studies requires a lot less work and revision than a 'normal' a level subject like psychology. This does not make it easier to get an A though. You still have to demonstrate essay writing skills which are the same standard as normal a levels. The diference is the content.

Whereas in a science based a level, the content would be impossible to answer if you had had no training, in a general studies exam, the content SHOULD already be in your brain if you keep up with current affairs etc. The skills a gneral studies paper is assessing is the ability to articulate these skills into a coherent essay. This is the hard bit, and this is why the A grade % is lower than most subjects.

Post deleted
    How old are you? Im really starting to think you are a desparate 8 year old in need of friends.

ReputationRep:
    Post deleted
    No-one likes you.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Sorry Babyguy - I make it a personal policy not to respond to people incapable of basic nettiquette (FYI the caps lock key is between the tab and the shift key).

Sorry Babyguy - I make it a personal policy not to respond to people incapable of basic nettiquette (FYI the caps lock key is between the tab and the shift key).

LOL

ReputationRep:
    I prefer to make statements based on facts, where that isn't possible I (like everyone else) can only use my basic instincts.

The thing to remember is that GS is not compulsory to every A level student, it made up only 8.5% of A levels in 2002/03...if everyone was forced to take it as a 4th A level that figure would be far far higher (25% to be specific)...even at AS level the takeup is only at 11%.

If *every* A level student was forced to take GS then you would expect the pass rates to mirror the overall pass rates (21% As at A level, 15% at AS) which it doesn't.

You propose that that is because the bias of people taking it is towards weaker students, I propose that it's because of the format of the exam/syllabus drawing on wide ranging skills - more skills than you might need to pass A levels in 3 sciences or 3 essay based subjects.

To prove/disprove your proposal would take more data than is available...without that data I prefer to hold onto my previous opinion...what you seem to assume as an obvious fact I don't see any evidence for (anecdotal or otherwise - in fact my anecdotal evidence contradicts your theory) so I see no reason to change my opinion...and I cannot prove to you that your opinion is wrong so I agree to disagree and move on...there's no point in me arguing against your opinion based on your experiences without any hard evidence so I wont waste my or your time.
    So 8.5% of AS levels taken were in general studies- assuming 4 as-levels per candidate (which you clearly did- and even stated a 'specific' figure with no evidence of this fact) then you can assume 34% of candidates took and as level in general studies. This is more than a third of all candidates!- which would make it one of if not THE most popular subject. Ok, admittedly I dont have any facts at this moment, but you can see that any subject which has a larger number of candidates and especially where which is renound for being compulsory in many schools (I must emphasize the fact that not once did I actually say that it was comulsory in all schools- which further invalidates your 'specific' 25%) then the average candidate will be weaker. This is just plain obvious. I am basing this assertion on 'Instinct' and, as you said earlier, you are allowed to rely upon this when you cannot find the relevant factual information. And the conclusion: the low percentage of A-grades in general studies does not at all represent the fact that general studies is a difficult subject, but is a reflection of the populations general lack of interest in it and of course, gives further backing to it being compulsory.

ReputationRep:
    When I told a guy I know (a wise old man i'll have you know - who used to be a professor of psychology at durham back in the 50's and 60's)that I was doing general studies a2 as well as my other as's, he expressed his surprise. He said he was glad people were still doing it and that it helped the admissions process back then.

Why are so many people against it? It was not created just to annoy people who 'can't be bothered'. It does serve a purpose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toffee)
    When I told a guy I know (a wise old man i'll have you know - who used to be a professor of psychology at durham back in the 50's and 60's)that I was doing general studies a2 as well as my other as's, he expressed his surprise. He said he was glad people were still doing it and that it helped the admissions process back then.

Why are so many people against it? It was not created just to annoy people who 'can't be bothered'. It does serve a purpose.

Religion wasn't created to cause war, but heh!

ReputationRep:
    if GS was offered at college (which it wasnt) then i would have sat the exam just for a laugh. i did critical thinking instead, which was quite good.

ReputationRep:
    Warning to BABYGUY:

Curb the offensive language and the immaturity and learn to show others respect or you will be banned.

One more chance...

(Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Warning to BABYGUY:

Curb the offensive language and the immaturity and learn to show others respect or you will be banned.

One more chance...
    Innit get the loser out

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.