Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    I never said you can't survive because that is obviously not true. You were orignally arguing that humans are not natural carnivores which is a load of rubbish.
    and also that the human digestive system is not capable of digesting most plant material in its natural form - hence we have to use technology (boiling it) to break down the cellulose cell walls so that we can digest it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    I never said you can't survive because that is obviously not true. You were orignally arguing that humans are not natural carnivores which is a load of rubbish.
    um i think youre a little confused. carnivores eat meat only. herbivores eat plants only. omniovores eat both. i said we arent natural carnivores and you basically agreed with me in your previous posts. i think we can all agree that humans are omnivores with meat being an optional part of a healthy diet.

i guess, that human are omnivores, but a greater proportion of their diet is meat. However daying that it is debatable whether humans are scavangers, if then more veg is a possibility

Coming to think of it, we are ehre discussing the history of humankind, whilst the thread starter is on about Hot Chicken Wings, which may I add, is decidly delicious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    um i think youre a little confused. carnivores eat meat only. herbivores eat plants only. omniovores eat both. i said we arent natural carnivores and you basically agreed with me in your previous posts. i think we can all agree that humans are omnivores with meat being an optional part of a healthy diet.
    I am not confused at all. Humans are obviously omnivores in that we eat both meat and plant material, but I am arguing that the digestive system is primarily evolved to digest meat rather than plant material. The reasons for this have already been mentioned. This is also backed up by the fact that our appendixes are now redundant organs. Yes, humans do eat plants because we cook them, but that does not make us natural herbivores.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    Coming to think of it, we are ehre discussing the history of humankind, whilst the thread starter is on about Hot Chicken Wings, which may I add, is decidly delicious.
    lol thats why UKL is so good; even the most banal of subjects can become academic

Just asking, is there any advantage putting "UKL moderator" as like something in ur UCAS form? Shows dedication? Shows judgement (on which thread to be removed?)

ReputationRep:
    Just asking, is there any advantage putting "UKL moderator" as like something in ur UCAS form? Shows dedication? Shows judgement (on which thread to be removed?)
    dunno, it didnt occur to me to put it on

ReputationRep:
    Why are you a vegan? Don't you think it's unhealthy? Man was meant to eat meat, just as frogs were meant to eat insects.
    Don't start that with edders, I did a while ago, it isn't worth it.

ReputationRep:
    i thought jesus had bread and wine at the last supper, not a bigmac. anyway the bible isnt much of an authority in my life, sorry.
    Oh, I've read that book, he dies at the end, you know. He comes back, but not for long.

ReputationRep:
    oh. well michael howard is jewish for a start ill have you know. and the tories are popular with the asian community (sikh/hindu/muslim etc.)
    A very famous Tory MP and PM, Benjamin Disraeli, was Jewish.

ReputationRep:
    Michael Howard's wife is beautiful.
    She's an ex-model, Howard is her third husband.

that book is a fake, who is the author? what evidence is it based on? I wrote a book, its called: "Aliens, solved" got rejected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    A very famous Tory MP and PM, Benjamin Disraeli, was Jewish.
    He converted to Christianity.

--
    Edders, here's some material I made earlier (as a vegetarian btw):

Intelligence

Let us say, that by some freak of nature, a very intelligent pig was born. In fact, its intelligence surpassed that of many humans. It learned language and studied with children at school, it grew up, and it got a job. The pig became renowned the world over for its cleverness and lectured in Economics at Cambridge. Now, if you ate meat, surely you’d have no objection at someone slaughtering and eating this pig? Actually you probably would object, because it would be morally wrong to do such a thing. So why should a normal pig be slaughtered, but not an intelligent one?

I am afraid that the answer is because the pig possesses human characteristics and so we treat it as a human. Humans are guilty of speciesism , i.e. discriminating against other species. There is no justification as to why we should do this. I am sure that many of you do not take kindly to those who are racist or sexist; yet if you eat meat you are no better, you are equally prejudiced yourself. This view is compounded by the fact that the majority of humans who eat meat are not also cannibals.

Stupid Babies

The case of the smart pig leads me on to my next point: animal stupidity. Many carnivores try to argue that it is OK to eat meat because animals are not as emotionally advanced as we are. So we can take the case of the stupid babies. Some babies in this world are born with severe disabilities; they won’t be able to lead a 'normal' human life. In fact, one could liken their intelligence to that of a pig. They can still feel happiness and other simple emotions, but not complex ones such as jealousy or pride.

Human nature tells us that we should spend a great deal of time and effort looking after these babies in order to ensure that they can live as full a life as they possibly can. But why not kill and eat them? After all, we kill and eat animals which are not as intelligent as we are, don't we? This is yet another example of speciesism.

Pets

Another point worth considering, in relation to speciesism, is that you would not eat your pet cat or dog, would you? Many people in the west consider the South Koreans to be 'sick' because they eat dogs but in reality there is no difference between eating a dog and a pig.

Processing Meat

Contrary to popular belief, the human digestive system is not designed to process meat. A traditional carnivore will have a short and smooth intestine; in contrast, humans have very long and exceedingly twisted intestines. Prior to reaching the end of the digestive system, the unprocessed meat becomes poisonous to the body.

Even if we were designed to eat meat, we now know that it is morally wrong. We know better nowadays and we do not need to eat meat. Humans are not naturally carnivorous anyway; if you were to see a cow in a field you would not chase it and sink your teeth into its raw flesh, you would say ‘Moo’ and wait for a response.

Statistics

I am 16. Had I eaten meat, I would have consumed:

224 chickens
    10 turkies
    2 cows
    1 sheep
    4 pigs

Links

http://www.vivavegie.org/vv101/101reas2001.htm
    http://www.britishmeat.com/49.htm

Actually people dont eat pets, because in the past they would have developed a relationship with it ie, they catch a rabbit, we give the dag the leg or something, good for everyone...

ReputationRep:
    We discriminate against apes and yet they are 99.4% similar genetically

hell, we eat cows even though we are like 40% genetically similar to it

ReputationRep:
    hell, we eat cows even though we are like 40% genetically similar to it
    Actually, we are more than 40% similar to a yeast cell. We are probably more like 80% simlar to a cow.

Yes, but we eat both of em anyway...

oh. well michael howard is jewish for a start ill have you know. and the tories are popular with the asian community (sikh/hindu/muslim etc.)
    Shame about the lack of Asian Tory MPS though isnt it?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.