This discussion is closed.
rottcodd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by questionmark)
Employers, people...
The distinction is that certain employers think this, but by no means all. There are many different career routes you can pursue after your undergraduate degree, and entry in them does not always massively depend on what institution you studied your degree at.

A newspaper article stated that getting a 2:1 from Uni.Manchester is equivalent to a 1st from Man Met.
Newspaper articles state a lot of things Like I said, if you want a high flying city job, barrister and other kinds of highly competitive jobs, maybe you should pay a bit of attention to league tables. But not everybody wants this kind of career, and belittling the people that achieved firsts at supposedly 'lower' insitutions (the opinion of one newspaper - newspapers think differently on what constitutes a prestigious institution, which should indiciate something about 'prestige') by equating it with 2.1s from 'better' ones, isn't really fair.

The league table position of your university isn't as important as you seem to think it is for securing good jobs.
jonjoe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
depends on your social life. and outside commitments
Lindath
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Lol, no.

I've found through my friends' experiences at lower unis that the lecturers provide more help i.e. checking essay drafts, giving them articles to read for their essays. At my uni which is a 'Redbrick' (i think thats what they're called) our lecturers give much less help. They wont read essay drafts, they wont provide you with articles if you get stuck on a lab report, they rarely answer essay queries because 'it provides too much help'. There's a huge emphasis on 'independent learning'. In addition my friend only has to get 55 to get a 2:1 I have to get 60-62.
Which uni are you visiting? And your friends?
Smtn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Gangee)
..... Why would it be harder to get a 2:1 at a top uni compared to a lower ranked one??? Surely it would be easier due to the better teaching standards????
Hmmmmmmmmm
haha, flawless logic my friend
questionmark
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Lindath)
Which uni are you visiting? And your friends?
I think the answer to your question is: Uni. Manchester, Man Met, Essex?
obrian
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
university is incredibly easy everything is done for you, it is very easy to get a 2 1 as lng as you do the work. someone who has done nothing all year can still pass they may not get a good grade but they still passed!!
it all depends on YOU!!
***amy***
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Asteron)
Yes, a 2:1 from Cambridge will have more of an edge then a 2:1 from Essex, but that is if all other things are equal, which in many cases they are not.

A first from Essex would generally hold more weight then a 2:1 from Cambridge I would say.
Definitely not, a 2:1 from Oxbridge is valued more than 1sts at other unis - possible equal if the university is a Russell Group type one.
Vincente
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
..... Why would it be harder to get a 2:1 at a top uni compared to a lower ranked one??? Surely it would be easier due to the better teaching standards????
Marking standards.
Asteron
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ***amy***)
Definitely not, a 2:1 from Oxbridge is valued more than 1sts at other unis - possible equal if the university is a Russell Group type one.
Completely disagree. It may be a different story with an Oxbridge 2:1 and an Edge Hill first (no offence to Edge Hill students), but a first from a respectable university will overcome a 2:1 from Oxbridge in most cases. What makes you think otherwise?
Vincente
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What makes you think otherwise?
She's an Oxbridge student.
Eljamaispa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Completely disagree. It may be a different story with an Oxbridge 2:1 and an Edge Hill first (no offence to Edge Hill students), but a first from a respectable university will overcome a 2:1 from Oxbridge in most cases. What makes you think otherwise?
No she's correct, a 2:1 at Oxbridge can be about the same level as a first at a mid ranked university. Of course a 1st at somewhere like Imperial or UCL, Edinburgh etc will be considered as better than an Oxbridge 2:1 but when comparing how much harder a first at Oxbridge is compared to even a first at London universities, Oxbridge firsts are meant to be harder, not hugely but the difference is significant enough for a few employers and certainly academics all around to take note of. Of course stuff like which university has the hardest firsts is more of interest to other academics rather than employers, afterall employers just want to know your smart, can work hard and will be an asset to them, and in fact some employers apparently look at Oxbridge graduates unfavourably because they expect them to be intelligent but arrogant, and they don't consider this a desirable or employable combination of personality traits (although this is an ignorant stereotype it still stands regardless).

Ps. No I'm not an Oxbridge student, in fact I'm not even a Uni student yet but I did the research when I was trying to choose universities to apply to.
Asteron
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Eljamaispa)
No she's correct, a 2:1 at Oxbridge can be about the same level as a first at a mid ranked university. Of course a 1st at somewhere like Imperial or UCL, Edinburgh etc will be considered as better than an Oxbridge 2:1 but when comparing how much harder a first at Oxbridge is compared to even a first at London universities, Oxbridge firsts are meant to be harder, not hugely but the difference is significant enough for a few employers and certainly academics all around to take note of. Of course stuff like which university has the hardest firsts is more of interest to other academics rather than employers, afterall employers just want to know your smart, can work hard and will be an asset to them, and in fact some employers apparently look at Oxbridge graduates unfavourably because they expect them to be intelligent but arrogant, and they don't consider this a desirable or employable combination of personality traits (although this is an ignorant stereotype it still stands regardless).
The part I have highlighted contradicts your original statement that she was "correct". Quite clearly you have recognized that the difficulty in achieving a first is something analyzed by academics, not most employers.

I still stand by my original view that a first from a respectable university will overrule a 2:1 from Oxbridge. That may not be the case of all firms, but I believe that a good number of firms stand by this view.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ebam_uk
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well I dont know what a 2.1 is worth from Cambridge, but I would certainly be pleased to get one from Cambridge because personally I know the amount of work I need to do is a lot and therefore must be of value!
HappyHupo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As others have said, it completely depends on the university. At Oxbridge you'll have to spend a fair amount of time studying, at somewhere like Leeds or Oxford Brookes you'll have to spend a fair amount of time in the pub. Enough said.
careton
Report 9 years ago
whats a 2:1?
EierVonSatan
Badges: 19
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by careton)
whats a 2:1?
An upper second class degree
Eljamaispa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The part I have highlighted contradicts your original statement that she was "correct". Quite clearly you have recognized that the difficulty in achieving a first is something analyzed by academics, not most employers.

I still stand by my original view that a first from a respectable university will overrule a 2:1 from Oxbridge. That may not be the case of all firms, but I believe that a good number of firms stand by this view.
I am discussing the issue at hand to show both sides of the argument. In the case of a well established academic looking at your degree class she is correct. However I also pointed out that the notion that 'firsts at Oxbridge are the most highly regarded over all others' is less true as far as most employers will be concerned. More than anything I was trying to contradict your "completely disagree" in reply to her post, and give a more open-minded post.
***amy***
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think I really deserved the neg rep... I was saying a 2:1 from Oxbridge would be regarded as a higher quality degree than a 1st from Essex (although probably not from Durham/ UCL/ Imperial/ Edinburgh) as this is what I was told at school and at work experience etc, it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm an Oxbridge student as the career I hope to do won't care what class degree I get.

I also know that my schoolfriends at even really good unis like Bristol don't have to work nearly as hard as me to get a 2:1 on a week to week basis so I feel like it's harder at Oxbridge, but this may be wrong.

I wasn't trying to insult anybody at all, it's just what I've heard...
Asteron
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think I really deserved the neg rep... I was saying a 2:1 from Oxbridge would be regarded as a higher quality degree than a 1st from Essex (although probably not from Durham/ UCL/ Imperial/ Edinburgh) as this is what I was told at school and at work experience etc, it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm an Oxbridge student as the career I hope to do won't care what class degree I get.

I also know that my schoolfriends at even really good unis like Bristol don't have to work nearly as hard as me to get a 2:1 on a week to week basis so I feel like it's harder at Oxbridge, but this may be wrong.

I wasn't trying to insult anybody at all, it's just what I've heard...
Well I didn't neg rep you.

I still disagree, because I think your example applies only to very elitist professions. This would probably apply to top-class London barrister chambers, but even then I personally feel (from speaking with barristers and judges) that a first from a respectable university will overrule an Oxbridge 2:1 in most 'normal' chambers.

You need to remember that interviews are a subjective process, and anyone who goes in thinking they are going to glide through the process due to their Oxbridge 2:1 is surely mistaken. I think an Oxbridge 2:1 with excellent extracurricular experience and a good personality will probably be chosen over your Essex first. However, if the roles are reversed, then I think the Essex first would be chosen over the Oxbridge 2:1 with just average extracurricular experience/personal skills.

Objectively speaking though, I still believe that a first from a respectable university will probably overrule an Oxbridge 2:1.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (280)
27.56%
No (736)
72.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise