Turn on thread page Beta

Is the EMA system unjust? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Is the EMA system unjust?
    Yes
    59.79%
    No
    35.45%
    I don't care, I'm happy my money is spent on those who really don't need it.
    4.76%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Born Frustrated)
    This again? :eyeball:

I agree it's not really fair at all. Some people who get it don't use it properly, and others who really need it are denied it.
    If your parents are earning 30k+ then you don't need it. ******* spoilt rich kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Matt)
    For god's sake I hate it when people on tsr say this. Tough **** it's getting discussed again!
    What's the point in discussing it again? It's boring the second time. Come to think of it, it was boring the first time too :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think they should have an EMA website, that stocks all books/equipment etc that one would need to complete Higher Education. Instead of money paid into a bank account, the EMA should be sent in vouchers that can be used on this website, so that it can only be spent on what it is supposed to be spent on.
    Many people just use it as thier weekly booze money, which is not what it is supposed to be for. If we did the voucher system we could not accuse anyone of using it unfairly as it can only be spent on needed items.
    Some people (not all) have it and use it an an insentive NOT to get a job.

EMA is utterly ridiculous - education is not a right, it is a privilege. Education is offered free in this country, and if you need money to have the incentive to go then too bad.

ReputationRep:
    i'm biased, but no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Born Frustrated)
    This again? :eyeball:

I agree it's not really fair at all. Some people who get it don't use it properly, and others who really need it are denied it.
    there is no way to "spend it properly"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Matt)
    For god's sake I hate it when people on tsr say this. Tough **** it's getting discussed again!
    Oh no, let's all cry about what someone posted on the net :dry:

ReputationRep:
    It's a great idea..i get EMA and i spend it on all kinds of ****...realy i just waste it on **** i dnt need.clothes, games. and eat meals fit for a king...but serioulsy i actually need it..and as pathetic as it sounds without it i wouldnt be able to attend shcool..so all u jelouse ******..shahut ya mouth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kinglrb)
    Well it has to be pretty much based on parental income. I know some people won't get money of the parents but if it was upto a student or his parents to say how much he gets everyone will abuse the system. The only possible difference is should a person with a job be allowed EMA?
    I'm not saying it should be up to students/parents. It should be based on the individual's income, not their parents.
    If I could control it, personally, I'd say those who earn over £50 a week should get nothing. Those who earn £30-50 should get £10. Those who earn £10-30 should get £20, and those who earn nothing should get £30. Something along those lines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Matt)
    Classic example of how people get annoyed at eachother in EMA threads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAgg)
    If your parents are earning 30k+ then you don't need it. ******* spoilt rich kids.

:hmmm:
    Just because your parents earn 30K + doesn't mean they give you any of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAgg)
    Actually my mum works two jobs and my step dad works one, and we are still under the boundary to claim for EMA. And I get the entire £30.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dreaming*)
    I'm sure they will pay for your books and your travel expenses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAgg)
    This has to be a joke...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by braceface)
    No. I'm just saying that there are people out there who care about their education and want to do well, and need their weekly payments in order to buy those things. Most of the people I've spoken to who've said EMA is unfair are those who watch the chavs who don't give a damn about their grades, spending their money on **** etc.
    Yes, but how will you be able to distinguish between those that care about their education and thise that do not?

ReputationRep:
    There should be an EMA ranters/praisers/discussion sub-forum on here, some people obviously need to let off some steam.

This topic is done enough times to warrant it.

ReputationRep:
    lol at people negging me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dreaming*)
    could you create a system that would tell if your parents would give you money? doubt it

its the fairest way possible im afraid someone whos household income is about 15k is a lot less likely to be given money than someone whos is 30k+

ReputationRep:
    i think it is right to give some money to those who need it to enable them to gain qualifications such as A-levels when if they did not receive it, it is likely they would be made to leave school to support their families.

On the other hand, i think it needs tighter regulation because there are many people who receive it because they live with one parent who is not very well off but their other parents is incredibly rich and gives large amounts of maintenance money to the poorer parent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    there is no way to "spend it properly"
    I never said "spend it properly"

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.