How much do you think that doctors should be paid? Watch

This discussion is closed.
anna_spanner89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by v-zero)
Well I disagree. A person should be paid for what they do, proportionally to the skill and devotion required to perform what they do, and whilst qualifications should not affect pay directly, they will of course affect how skilled a person is, and hence their pay level.

make your mind up you've gone from skill learnt in a degree too how hard it is to get onto a degree..

if its skill then many healthcare degrees should be paid more
Sine
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think their pay is alright except f1s and f2s ..they don't get paid enough me thinks...maybe a bit more for them .
v-zero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by anna_spanner89)
make your mind up you've gone from skill learnt in a degree too how hard it is to get onto a degree..

if its skill then many healthcare degrees should be paid more
Stop avoiding the obvious leading lines. The skill aquired during a degree is an extension of the desire and skill aquired in order to get into that degree subject. These are intricately connected things.
Egypt
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hmmm, I'm happy with the pay scales at the moment. All I want is honest remuneration for the job done ie being paid for the hours you actually do, not the hours a manager says you ought to do.

I would also scrap supernumery/unbanded jobs. £1100 per month after tax was not enough money for me to pay my rent/debts/bills/fuel etc and have enough left over to have a life. I was earning the same as I did when I worked as a barman with far less responsibility and stress

On a side note just because you are FY1 or FY2 does not mean you are unqualified - you have just spent 6 years training to meet the minimum required level to be allowed to work as a doctor. In medicine you will always be a trainee.
sulpicia
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Consultants pay capped at 80 k for NHS WORK.
yosrush
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
50% of antibiotics are wrongly prescribed, maybe if we pay them properly they'll do their ****ing job.
Old Timer
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
How many supernumery/unbanded posts are there? Most people I have spoken to are on 1a/b to take account of the shifts, even if they are non-compliant with the EWTD i.e. they should be on a band 2 (which doesn't exist).
Having said that the F1 I was with this morning was supernumery.
ChloeGsy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
more than footballers, that's for sure.
Old Timer
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by sulpicia)
Consultants pay capped at 80 k for NHS WORK.
Where did you get that idea? The NHS themselves say otherwise:

Consultants
Consultants can earn between £73,403 to £173,638, dependent on length of service and payment of additional performance related awards.

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details...lt.aspx?Id=553

And this shows that a number make much more than £100k from the NHS:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-190-000.html
Egypt
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Old Timer)
How many supernumery/unbanded posts are there? Most people I have spoken to are on 1a/b to take account of the shifts, even if they are non-compliant with the EWTD i.e. they should be on a band 2 (which doesn't exist).
Having said that the F1 I was with this morning was supernumery.
The hospital I work at almost all the FY1s are unbanded for 3-4 months of the year.
Huw Davies
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Of course, but I don't think the figures are that inaccurate. It fits with what I've seen an consultants I know. It is a shame they didn't publish the range of incomes but I don't know how useful that would have been because it wouldn't take account of people working part time, for example. Also I think that by including every single accurate tax return (24,000) they have got a reasonable picture.
It doesn't have to be inaccurate figures or a sampling error - it could be the true mean, but nevertheless an unrepresentative one. In my example above, say that it's a tiny country with only 100 doctors. Or just multiple all the numbers by 1,000 come to that.

I'm conscious of my prejudice here in that the consultants I know well don't do private work at all. So perhaps I'm too anxious to defend their honour against the charge of being overpaid.

Historically salaries for juniors have been low in the expectation that this will be recouped by future earnings as consultants (mentioned explicitly in the last review of junior doctors' pay) - under MMC there seems likely to be more medics in non-training posts or unemployed, so this trade-off seems more unjust.
flowerness
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Doctors and Nurses should get paid way more for the occupation they do.
Egypt
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by yosrush)
50% of antibiotics are wrongly prescribed, maybe if we pay them properly they'll do their ****ing job.
Really helpful comment - thanks :rolleyes:
fairy spangles
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i wanna get paid £700 every 2 months like student nurses do.
Faith01
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Kaka (footballer) got offered £500,00 a week by Man City and maximum pay for a doctor (consultant) is £100,00 a year. So thats 5 years of hard work consultans get compared to what Kaka could've got a bloody week. Thats just insane its either doctors get paid too little or footballers get undeservedly too much.
Huw Davies
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by yosrush)
Source for that figure?

The government's enthusiasm for online reviews of GP practices will probably drive increased over-prescribing, as GPs will be anxious not to piss off the punters by refusing unnecessary antibiotics.
thomhayden
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think fully trained pay for a doctor should be 10k less, then maybe that money could be used to pay for more nurses so that there would be less worry of outbreaks of superbugs.
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by thomhayden)
I think fully trained pay for a doctor should be 10k less, then maybe that money could be used to pay for more nurses so that there would be less worry of outbreaks of superbugs.
:sigh:

For chrissakes.
Huw Davies
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by thomhayden)
Whatever it is your parents do, we should cut their pay\tax them by £10k to pay for more nurses so that there would be less worry of outbreaks of superbugs.
Lampshade
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Following on from the other thread I'm interested to know what people think that doctors should be paid at each level.
Let the market sort that out.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (28)
25.93%
No - I got the required grades (66)
61.11%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (14)
12.96%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise