Turn on thread page Beta

does any one else think its too far taking our english heritage away from us? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ypo)
    What garbage is this? Of course English is an ethnicity! I suggest you learn more about this great people http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_people
    I disagree with wikipedia's assertation that English people form a distinct ethnic group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PokerHead)
    Idiot. I'm not even going to argue with your narrow-minded junk talk. I just hope that some day you'll realise how stupid this line of thought is.
    I'd imagine that's because you can't argue against my "narrow-minded junk talk". Why should certainly groups have carte blanche to show racial pride but when white people do it it's evil racism? Care to point out the logic there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titanomachy)
    I disagree with wikipedia's assertation that English people form a distinct ethnic group.
    Well that's a new one for me. Do you disagree that the Japanese are also an ethnicity? Really, how and why do you disagree with the centuries-old consensus that English is an ethnicity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittlePrincess)
    just that now being proud to be english is racist... apparently
    and i really dont think it is
    but that people are taking it to far
    we are probably the only country that arent allowed to morally fly our own flag
    just want opinions
    What a shame your pride doesn't extend to your native language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rscully)
    What a shame your pride doesn't extend to your native language.
    Great contribution to this debate. Tell me, do you defend non-white groups showing pride in their race while the whites that do the same are evil, vicious racists?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I think emphasising English identity appeals to these people because they can then complain about the perceived shortcomings of the Scots, Welsh and Irish as well as complaining about foreigners.
    why would i complain about scottish people?
    it was a general thread.
    i have a spanish step dad and scottish dad
    people should really stop being personal on here!!!

shallow shallow minds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ypo)
    Great contribution to this debate. Tell me, do you defend non-white groups showing pride in their race while the whites that do the same are evil, vicious racists?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ypo)
    Well that's a new one for me. Do you disagree that the Japanese are also an ethnicity? Really, how and why do you disagree with the centuries-old consensus that English is an ethnicity?
    Well you'll have to provide more than just a link to wikipedia to convince me that there exists a centuries-old conensus on the matter.

My main reason for not considering 'English' as a distinct ethnicity is the huge influx of various non-white immigrants to England in the post industrial era having attained status as English nationals. English is a nationality, but I don't think there exists a strong enough cultural or racial identity to tie all English people to an identifiable single ethnicity.

I don't see what Japan has to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    why would i complain about scottish people?
    it was a general thread.
    i have a spanish step dad and scottish dad
    people should really stop being personal on here!!!

shallow shallow minds
    For the third and final time, would you care to salvage a modicum of credibility in this thread by explaining what you consider to be your 'English heritage' and how exactly, you feel it's been taken from you?

ReputationRep:
    It's not racist to be proud to be english.

However, i'm brown and proud to be english

ReputationRep:
    i love how people think that every one who wants to be proud of bein english is obviously some skin head meat head
    i think not!!!

ReputationRep:
    Personally I fail to see what there is to be proud of, but if you want to be wildly delusional then go for it, the god squad get away with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ypo)
    I thought this thread was concerned with British heritage, forgive me for not reading all of the posts. In relation to being proud of one's race I don't care, you can be proud of whatever you want, I wont judge you for that. I will judge you, however, when you starting thinking of yourself as better or more worthy than another group because of their country of origin or the colour of their skin.

ReputationRep:
    i love how people think that every one who wants to be proud of bein english is obviously some skin head meat head
    i think not!!!
    What makes you proud of being English?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Am I just thinking that OP means proud to be white rather than English...? 'Cos it seems that way to me!

A lot of people are proud to call England their home and I see flags everywhere. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Am I just thinking that OP means proud to be white rather than English...? 'Cos it seems that way to me!

A lot of people are proud to call England their home and I see flags everywhere. :p:
    The OP doesn't know what she thinks, she just keeps bleating on and on about how amusing she finds everyones preconceptions of the prideful English.

I'm starting to think she may be a feckless idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titanomachy)
    Well you'll have to provide more than just a link to wikipedia to convince me that there exists a centuries-old conensus on the matter.

My main reason for not considering 'English' as a distinct ethnicity is the huge influx of various non-white immigrants to England in the post industrial era having attained status as English nationals. English is a nationality, but I don't think there exists a strong enough cultural or racial identity to tie all English people to an identifiable single ethnicity.

I don't see what Japan has to do with it.
    I used the Japanese as an example because, like the English, they are descended from different waves of migrants to their islands. As you pointed out, even in the last few centuries, several foreign groups have assimilated into the English nation. For example the French Huguenots from the 16th to 19th century. At the same time many Koreans migrated to Japan. To the level that some 30% of Japanese nobility had some relatively recent foreign ancestry. Yet no one denies the Japanese form their own ethnic group. Then why the double standard?

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5211952.stm

ReputationRep:
    im a feckless idiot?
    i have an opinion and you all jump down my throat for it?
    im a well educated person with a random thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ypo)
    I used the Japanese as an example because, like the English, they are descended from different waves of migrants to their islands. As you pointed out, even in the last few centuries, several foreign groups have assimilated into the English nation. For example the French Huguenots in the 18th century. At the same time many Koreans migrated to Japan. To the level that some 30% of Japanese nobility had some relatively recent foreign ancestry. Yet no one denies the Japanese form their own ethnic group. Then why the double standard?
    The keyword is assimilation. Modern Japanese culture and racial identity is infinitely more homogenous than that of England, so why complicate matters needlessly by demanding that English be an ethinicity? Define for me the characteristics of the ethnic 'English'.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.