The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
The bathrooms in the village are small and the floor can stay a bit damp after having a shower which has made - for me- wet jeans but ahhh nothing too much to complain about ...The older buildings around the back are a bit smaller in building size but im in Courtyard A and very happy to be, not too noisy- the most noise comes from the main road not from students actually..
Kitchens are good- I don't think ANY accom have 'proper ovens' but all the microwaves have convection...so there's very little you can't do with them in my experience.

The rooms are pretty standard size tbh- I'd say village rooms have the biggest desks which i find very useful..
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 41
Straight question here.
In your own opinion. What is better to go for?
Norfolk/suffolk or the Village??
Really suprised about how much bad posts village has got as i thought originally this would be the best place to go for community and atmosphere etc..

Any way which is better?
Reply 42
frogpig
Colman is the one right near the Sainsburys centre? How are you finding being that little bit further out?

No, constable is by the sainsbury centre, colman is near paston and the other new blocks on the opposite side of the campus.
Reply 43
I have been in 4 different types of accommodation, The Village (where i live now), Norfolk Terrace, Constable and paston.

Tbh i love the village and couldn't imagine living anywhere else. The village rooms are a nice size, they are smaller then other places because the en-suite takes a chunk of the space. However it isn't too small and out of all the other accomadation i have been to i think uses the space best. The en-suite is quite small but for me was more than alright, all you will use it for is showering and going to the toilet. And if you're someone who spends ages getting ready in front of the mirror there is a full length mirror on the inside of the wardrobe. Prob one of my only complaints about my accommodation is the noise of the extractor fan in the en-suite, which is quite loud and takes a while to turn off (don't know if thats just me?). One of the best things about the village compared to other places IMO is the kitchen, unlike the horrible metal things i've seen in the other places, it is more of a proper kitchen. It has the same amount of hobs, grills, microwave/ovens that other places have but a lot less people share it. Ours is used between 6 people. The walk back from The village might be a probolem for some people, however for me was quite a good thing as i'm not a morning person and the walk to lectures forces me to wake up. It only takes me 5 - 10 mins to get to a lecture depending where it is.

I thought Norfolk Terrace was quite nice. The rooms are nice and big, and have big windows with nice views. They also have a sink with mirror. However you do have to share toilets and showers. But none of the people i have spoken to have had a problem with this. The kitchen is alright (very metal though) with nice views but is shared by a lot of people and is quite small for the number of people IMO. One complaint i have heard about this place is that the rooms can get quite hot. It is the cheapest accomadation which is a big plus!

Tbh i was quite disappointed with constable terrace, and was expecting a bit more for the extra money you have to pay compared to the first 2. The rooms are a nice size but i didn't think they used the space all that well with like a corner of empty space which people just seemed to throw their dirty clothes in (people i know anyway lol). The en-suite is bigger than the village's but this isn't a very big factor for me (maybe if you plan on spending a lot of time in there you might take this more into consideration). The kitchen is bigger than the first 2 places, from what i remember though they had the same number of hobs, girll etc as us in the village which suprised me because they have more people living there.

So anyway from what i have seen i would say save some money and live in The Village or Norfolk Terrace. However if you can afford it you might think about the more expensive accomadation, however i don't really see what you get for this extra money?

I think the main thing about anywhere that you live is the people you live with, if you are living with some nice people then you will get on fine anywhere.
The person i know who lives in Constable doesn't get on with hardly any of the ppl he lives with, as most of them just stay in their rooms and don't speak to anyone. I guess that could have contributed to my negative view of that place :smile:
Heya
i was just wondering if anyone could answer some questions?
firstly are you in accomodation with a completely random mix of people e.g subjects and ages?
and also if drama and medical students arrive earlier than the other subject students does that mean there may only be a couple of us in accomodation before everyone else arrives?
thanks xxx
Reply 45
Lauren_sarah
are you in accomodation with a completely random mix of people e.g subjects and ages?

As far as I'm aware its all one big student soup? lol xxx
Reply 46
Wow thanks for the massive reply above. I guess its really about the people you get in accomodation rather than the actual place which is annoying because its the one thing you cant decide!! Just have to hit and hope that it works out ok.
Reply 47
I heard they try to put you in a flat with at least one person on your course or a related one , one of my flatmates is modern history, im history and politics, and i find that for a lot of flats?
Reply 48
I found that they try and have at least one person from each subject area in a flat, in mine there are medics, law students, philosophy, pharmacy, english, politics etc....

Also being in suffolk terrace has been amazing! Despite living with 12 people I have never had to wait for a shower!
Views are the best, close to absolutley everything, you can sneak onto the roof if you can fit through the kitchen windows and if it interests you, you can illegally smoke in your room :P
Reply 49
?_abi_?
suffolk terrace has been amazing!

Do you find it gets very warm? it was BOILING when I visited!! :-)
xxx
Thanks T1m0thy i think u helped me decided where i wanna stay... it is about they people you live with so thats made me more open to where i stay. I think i will just go for campus standard dont really feel like paying an extra £1000 for an ensuite :s! Save the money for going out!!!
Lauren you said both med and drama students come early.. do you know how early?

Thanks XXXXX
Reply 51
Hi everyone!

I am a Spanish student (English Literature) and I'll spend next year at UEA. Tbh, I am quite nervous since I have never been in a compared situation.

As the Eramsus programm is, unfortunately, a piece of rubbish in relation to money issues, I am looking for the best place to live without begging. So, I'd rather prefer a place where toilets were not shared. I think I would'nt mind living either in the village or near the campus, since some mates have told me there isn't much distance.

All in all, what do you think is the best place to live according to the toilets facilities and the money?

By the way, how much do you have to pay monthly in each place?

What do you think of private flats and so on?

Thanks a lot!

XX
noo i dont know sorry, im not even sure if it is true or not as didnt hear it from the university but on a thread on here. No-one else seems to have heard anything so im guessing we will just have to wait and see when the term dates come through.
sorry
xxx
Reply 53
Thanks a lot anyway!

xx
Reply 54
When Can/Could you start applying for your accomodation?
DoDaDa111
When Can/Could you start applying for your accomodation?

Accommodation office for 2009 opens in May according to the UEA website.
Reply 56
Just a question about the halls. I live 30 miles away from the uea and was wondering whether i would get accommodation in the halls or not? Do they think i have to commute from that distance?

thanks any help appreciated
Reply 57
mrk12a
Just a question about the halls. I live 30 miles away from the uea and was wondering whether i would get accommodation in the halls or not? Do they think i have to commute from that distance?

thanks any help appreciated

you should be fine - have a look at UEA accommodation eligibility
Reply 58
I would be surprised if you don't. I know a couple of people in a similar position as you who had no problems getting on campus accomodation.
Hey, Im going to UEA in September but really cant decide which accomodation to choose..all the people already at UEA say the en suites are nicer but norfolk.suffolk terrace have more parties and they'r cheaper,
does anyone know which accomodation they're going to choose?
if u do, just reply on ere pleasee :smile:

thankss and cu all in september :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending