Is this women's underwear advert supposed to be attractive?! Watch

Poll: What do you think?
I'm male and I think the model looks unattractive (45)
12.75%
I'm female and I think the model looks unattractive (114)
32.29%
I'm male and I think the model looks attractive (105)
29.75%
I'm female and I think the model looks attractive (89)
25.21%
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by FyreFight)
I've no idea why people say this - I know plenty of girls who share similar figures without having to work for them. It's attractive.
Maybe because it's not sexy and it's not ideal? It's not that it's hard work to get to that figure, it's that it's not an attractive ideal anyway. Women that size are not generally as fertile as women of more ...bountiful... figure. It's fetishising infertility and emasculination, in a sense.
Loosy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
She's definitely not too skinny. Even I look like that when laying down.
That said, I don't think the ribs poking out looks too attractive, so I think a different position would probably look better. It's not down to the figure of the model, though.
Thud
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Got no boobs.
Fen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ew, ugly underwear.
elziebelzie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Thud)
Got no boobs.
someone correct me if i'm wrong but i think elle macpherson underwear is meant for women with smaller boobs.
Mango24
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Many slim girls look like that when they lie down, I think its the way she is positioned that looks weird
elziebelzie
Rep:
?
ok was just googling some of the old elle macpherson adverts to see if the models all appeared quite skinny and look at this one! (not referring to the model's size - just her hand position!)
Spoiler:
Show
Thud
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by elziebelzie)
someone correct me if i'm wrong but i think elle macpherson underwear is meant for women with smaller boobs.
Can't say I know tbh, just that's what struck me about the picture.
Joanna May
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
Maybe because it's not sexy and it's not ideal? It's not that it's hard work to get to that figure, it's that it's not an attractive ideal anyway. Women that size are not generally as fertile as women of more ...bountiful... figure. It's fetishising infertility and emasculination, in a sense.
Just because you don't find it sexy, doesn't mean it isn't.

And you're talking crap about it "fetishising infertility". Maybe skinny women are less fertile than fat women, but that doesn't make them infertile. Most supermodels are skinny and have several children. And it's not really a valid case for saying a model isn't sexy, since I doubt fertility is something people really give much thought to when choosing a partner, other than on some subconscious evolutionary basis.
Vykeera
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Back when I was a 32e, I had a couple of her bras... but im-experience, most of her bras seem to be.
Smtn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That isn't skinny, she's just stretching :/
Joanna May
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ok was just googling some of the old elle macpherson adverts to see if the models all appeared quite skinny and look at this one! (not referring to the model's size - just her hand position!)
Spoiler:
Show
Her fingers look really, freakishly long there. :eyeball:

I think that's a sexier advert than the original one.
Edenr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
She has nice legs.
elziebelzie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smtn)
That isn't skinny, she's just stretching :/
oh dear would people read my OP! never said she was too skinny! i said the POSITION made her look too skinny! :sigh:

(unless you're referring to everyone else's replies. in which case feel free to tell me to shush :ninja:)
AisAis
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If anyone lies in front of a mirror like that they will noticed their rubs stick out and their tummy look a lot smaller than it really is. Like don't you find if you lie in your back your trousers feel really lose round the waist?

For girls, that is.
mollymustard
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
She looks fine!
Maybe a little too much ribcage etc but I think its more the angle the model is lying at rather than anything else.
Smtn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
oh dear would people read my OP! never said she was too skinny! i said the POSITION made her look too skinny! :sigh:
You said she looked skinny, and I disagreed.

but I think the model looks unattractively skinny!
elziebelzie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smtn)
You said she looked skinny, and I disagreed.
i then go on to say something along the lines of 'i know it's the position she's in...' :rolleyes:
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Joanna May)
Just because you don't find it sexy, doesn't mean it isn't.

And you're talking crap about it "fetishising infertility". Maybe skinny women are less fertile than fat women, but that doesn't make them infertile. Most supermodels are skinny and have several children. And it's not really a valid case for saying a model isn't sexy, since I doubt fertility is something people really give much thought to when choosing a partner, other than on some subconscious evolutionary basis.
It makes them less fertile and an inappropriate ideal. With all due respects, evolutionary sexual psychology should mean that men would naturally be attracted to larger women than the ideal today.
In any case, it has set a social convention which says that skinny is attractive, when it would not be naturally. People get the impression that larger figures are unattractive and the ideal becomes polarised towards an absolute "skinny is attractive and healthy, anything else is not". Stupid, stupid cultural perceptions we have in some cases.
Joanna May
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
It makes them less fertile and an inappropriate ideal. With all due respects, evolutionary sexual psychology should mean that men would naturally be attracted to larger women than the ideal today.
In any case, it has set a social convention which says that skinny is attractive, when it would not be naturally. People get the impression that larger figures are unattractive and the ideal becomes polarised towards an absolute "skinny is attractive and healthy, anything else is not". Stupid, stupid cultural perceptions we have in some cases.
If it's what people find the most attractive, it is the ideal. And being skinny isn't necessarily unhealthy or unnatural. And nor does it make them infertile. The differences in fertility between fat women and thin women is a case of fat women finding it easier to conceive. Which isn't really relevant at all when you consider most skinny women conceive perfectly well. There's no real reason why being fatter and more fertile is the "ideal", when skinny women's level of fertility is perfectly adequate, except in extreme cases such as anorexics.

Basic biology doesn't really play a part in deciding what is attractive these days. Maybe in ye olden days when there was no such thing as fertility treatment, and almost everyone wanted children they were relevant, but most people don't decide on their partner based on their fertility any more. You can talk about "evolutionary sexual psychology" all you want, but if men find skinny women more attractive than fat women, it means that the ideal is skinny women and so for our culture at least, that psychology just doesn't apply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (192)
27.83%
No (498)
72.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed