Report 9 years ago
Morgan Freeman speaks the truth:

ypo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by shamrock92)
I'm not complaining about that. I'm merely saying that there's no need for White History month, as it's taught as conventional History, whereas Black History isn't (or, at least, not to the same extent).
Wouldn't it be better to just incorporate black and African foci to history throughout the year? Why dedicate an entire month solely to a particular group? This causes tension and animosity if anything.
ypo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tyrotoxism)

Amen brother!
Brouhaha
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Every month is White History Month, you bloody fool.
shamrock92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ypo)
Wouldn't it be better to just incorporate black and African foci to history throughout the year? Why dedicate an entire month solely to a particular group? This causes tension and animosity if anything.
Yeah, I guess. I didn't make a moral statement, by the way, I just responded to the OP's question about why there isn't a White History month.
SomeNextPirate
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ypo)
Well it's that time of year again. Just a couple days to go before Americans of all hues start celebrating Black History Month.

In case you're unfamiliar with the concept, Black History Month is a time when American TV schedules are crammed full of informative programs and documentaries dedicated to exploring the cultural richness and history of African-Americans. A usual focus is showcasing the inventions of African-American individuals, usually an umimpressive list of "inventions" like peanut butter and the door stop.

My question for you: why should African-Americans have an entire month dedicated to exploring their history and contributions to world civilization when white Americans, who have certainly contributed just as much, are not granted such a program? Would you support a White History Month to showcase the achievements and contributions of the European-American population?
Have you looked at the History syllabus in EVERY western country?
Arminius
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ypo)
The reason it happens is african americans (and quite a few whites) believe that african american achievements, history etc should deserve a SPECIAL focus in society.

This is born out of a sense of grievence from past wrongs, its a form of positive discrimination aiming to raise the profile of the black race.
Brouhaha
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ypo)
Interesting point, I retract my hasty accusation. you are not a fool.
jamessimth5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Absolutely brilliant point, the only way to beat racism is not to dedicate months or days to ethnic groups but to just stop constantly talking about skin colour.

Black? White? Yellow? Bothered?
tom//
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

so ******* true
ypo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Brouhaha)
Oh is that right? Every month is dedicated solely to white culture, white history and the achievements of white individuals?
root2528
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ypo)
Its not about a month here or the '11 month white arguement.' The facts speak for themselves - history learnt at school, from whatever period that may be, is almost invariably dominated by white people. Although not taught so much in western school Asians have a hugely rich culture and history. History amongst Mediterraneans such as the Greeks dates back thousands of years. If Egypt is part of Africa and once ruled the known world then where the hell is black history? What happened from this point? We know about the Romans, the Chinese dynasties, the discovery of America, Britsh history, the Romans etc etc.. it's not even a question of it being taught or not taught it's why don't we know? Sadly even black history month fails to tackle the very core of the issue.
bristol_06
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
About time. We have built empires and civilised the world. These colonial upstarts resent success.
SomeNextPirate
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Arminius)
The reason it happens is african americans (and quite a few whites) believe that african american achievements, history etc should deserve a SPECIAL focus in society.

This is born out of a sense of grievence from past wrongs, its a form of positive discrimination aiming to raise the profile of the black race.
I disagree with it being positive discrimination. Black and white people alike, particularly in America, had ingrained in their minds that Black people made no positive contribution to society. As such these contributions needed to be highlighted in some high profile way in order to make people more aware.
ypo
Rep:
?
(Original post by tom//)
so ******* true
Nice avatar btw. I can't quite read the last character though. What does it say? Chairman Mao (as in cat) language what?
ypo
Rep:
?
(Original post by root2528)
Its not about a month here or the '11 month white arguement.' The facts speak for themselves - history learnt at school, from whatever period that may be, is almost invariably dominated by white people. Although not taught so much in western school Asians have a hugely rich culture and history. History amongst Mediterraneans such as the Greeks dates back thousands of years. If Egypt is part of Africa and once ruled the known world then where the hell is black history? What happened from this point? We know about the Romans, the Chinese dynasties, the discovery of America, Britsh history, the Romans etc etc.. it's not even a question of it being taught or not taught it's why don't we know? Sadly even black history month fails to tackle the very core of the issue.
What are you talking about? World history is almost certainly taught widespread in both the UK and the US. The fact that history in the UK has more a focus on the UK and Europe and history in the US has a focus on the US and the North American region shouldn't come as a particular surprise.

China also teaches world history but has a particular focus on Chinese and East Asian history. Yet China doesn't dedicate an entire month solely to the history of one of its 55 official ethnic groups. Neither does any non-Western country to my knowledge. Funny that.
bristol_06
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Brouhaha)
...and quite rightly so. Come on, white people dont need to keep apologising to the rest of the world. Think of the innovation and cultural influences we have brought to all corners of the world.
jamessimth5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by SomeNextPirate)
I disagree with it being positive discrimination. Black and white people alike, particularly in America, had ingrained in their minds that Black people made no positive contribution to society. As such these contributions needed to be highlighted in some high profile way in order to make people more aware.
No discrimination is ever positive.
Cyclone33
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think the reason there is a Black History Month is because the white Americans from the past have suppressed them so much that they deserved a whole month dedicated to them.

There is a Native American History month. Not sure about Asian American History (but i think there is one)
jamessimth5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bristol_06)
...and quite rightly so. Come on, white people dont need to keep apologising to the rest of the world. Think of the innovation and cultural influences we have brought to all corners of the world.
Yeah but it has nothing to do with ethnicity, think of the muslims in the middle ages or the chinese thousands of years ago.

As a BNP supporter what is your opinion of Jews?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (78)
30.23%
No - I got the required grades (147)
56.98%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (33)
12.79%

Watched Threads