Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heirofslytherin)
    I had received it last year. Then they rejected me.
    When did you send your application?
    Do you mind me asking what GCSE's you had and what you were predicted in A2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Do you mind me asking what GCSE's you had and what you were predicted in A2?
    well I am from Poland so I have other qualifications than you :P and my last year's PS wasn't good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Yep I've got mine, it's due on on the 23rd Nov. The questions are pretty tough. I don't know what to put for the "have you considered any other degree" one. I was initially going to apply for law but I think if I put that it might not make me sound very committed to linguistics!
    Hmm, yeah, I'm not too sure what to put for that... I think I'll mention that I considered another degree (in History, as it happens) but emphasise that my love for Linguistics won out, as it always would, because - PLEASE ACCEPT ME, UCL - it is my destiny :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Linguistics at Jesus and on the website (http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...ics/tests.html) it says a test at interview.

Will this eb the TSA or something else?

ReputationRep:
    I imagine something more linguistics oriented, but I may be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I just gotted an interview Squee. Me happy. Me very happy. I hopes Cambridge folks do not be a-reading this. Only problem is, I'll need to travel down the night before, as I live in Devon, and that's very expensive

But for now ... YES!!!! I was really not expecting (and, a guilty voice adds, maybe not deserving) it, so I'm chuffed Yeah. I'll shut up now.

Anyone else heard? Hope so!

ReputationRep:
    meeee
    which college and when ?

ReputationRep:
    The Churchill website says there's an aptitude test for Linguistics, but no test is mentioned anywhere on my invitation letter.

Will it just happen when I get there, during the interview or will it not happen at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cagneyrat)
    The Churchill website says there's an aptitude test for Linguistics, but no test is mentioned anywhere on my invitation letter.

Will it just happen when I get there, during the interview or will it not happen at all?
    I think probably during the interview itself, if Churchill mentioned it on their website. Was it in the subject specific link after you submitted the SAQ? Or just in their general subject info bit?

meeee
    which college and when ?
    Christ's! 8th of December - one at 11:30 and one at 3ish. How about you?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chylanduk)

Christ's! 8th of December - one at 11:30 and one at 3ish. How about you?!
    refer to my signature ;-)

Downing the 7th Dec, 2 interviews about 9 and 10 a.m.

ReputationRep:
    Trinity Hall interview!
    8th Dec
    Just wondering, how are you all preparing for this? Seeing as we're the first to go through it, i've got no idea what to expect
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    what should we wear at interview?
    it may seem a stupid question but I don't want to drop a brick ;-)

ReputationRep:
    Wear something in which you feel comfortable.

Formal dress is a bit over the top. It maybe creates a good impression to look smart.

'Smart-casual'.

ReputationRep:
    I still haven't heard from Jesus Has anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Interview! King's, on the 9th.

I agree with cagneyrat, kind of semi-smart. As in not full-on business suits but not jeans and trainers, either. I hope that makes sense... :?

ReputationRep:
    what should we wear at interview?
    it may seem a stupid question but I don't want to drop a brick ;-)
    Wear whatever you feel like, within reason - they'll be assessing your aptitude for linguistics, not your dress sense.

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview at Hughes Hall on the 9th. Quite nervous now! No idea what I will be asked... probably a bit about things I've read, but obviously as it's the first year there's nobody with previous Cambridge Linguistics experience to ask for interview tips!!

There's hardly any info on the website about what's expected from Hughes applicants. Nothing about a test or anything so I'm hoping there won't be one! Seconding SiobhanSays's question - how should we prepare?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sinking Hearts)
    I have an interview at Hughes Hall on the 9th. Quite nervous now! No idea what I will be asked... probably a bit about things I've read, but obviously as it's the first year there's nobody with previous Cambridge Linguistics experience to ask for interview tips!!

There's hardly any info on the website about what's expected from Hughes applicants. Nothing about a test or anything so I'm hoping there won't be one! Seconding SiobhanSays's question - how should we prepare?
    No one seems to know, not even my teachers.... =/

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, none of my teachers know either. All I'm doing is massively re-reading the book I mentioned most, The Language Instinct (which I love anyway) and making notes where I agree/disagree based on reading other stuff, which bits I found most interesting, etc. Just make sure that everything you said in your PS and your SAQ is backed up in your mind.

By the way, are there any linguistics blogs you read? I read Language Log, but I'm trying to find some more good ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chylanduk)
    Yeah, none of my teachers know either. All I'm doing is massively re-reading the book I mentioned most, The Language Instinct (which I love anyway) and making notes where I agree/disagree based on reading other stuff, which bits I found most interesting, etc. Just make sure that everything you said in your PS and your SAQ is backed up in your mind.

By the way, are there any linguistics blogs you read? I read Language Log, but I'm trying to find some more good ones.
    I like the DCBlog

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.