Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yes. stop stealing.

(Original post by Fixesin)
    even though downloading music illegally is classified as 'stealing'
    Only in the minds of delusional industry executives. Legally it's nothing of the sort, nor from a practical perspective, because you're taking a copy and leaving the original with its owner rather than taking the original.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelScofield)
    No, the amount you're stealing is negligible, therefore it's basically not stealing
    LOL you know 95% of music in the UK is illegally downloaded...singularly it is negligible but as so many people do it, its becoming a serious problem

My personal opinion is that it is wrong morally, but then I think about how overpriced music is (itunes and cds) plus as people have said before, its nt as bad as physically stealing from a person; its a faceless crime (morrally and legally)

ReputationRep:
    It's morally right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    you're taking a copy and leaving the original with its owner rather than taking the original.
    Ive never thought of it that way but its so true

ReputationRep:
    I used to think it was wrong. However, since realising how much I'm going to have to save for uni, I can't afford to be moral XD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fixesin)
    I agree... even though downloading music illegally is classified as 'stealing', it's nowhere near as bad as actually stealing from a shop... I suppose it's because we were all taught not to steal things like that from a shop and were never really told not to download music illegally.
    In legal terminology is not classified as stealing at all. It's not even a crime (it's illegal but it's a civil matter rather than a criminal one).

ReputationRep:
    Is price fixing morally wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big B)
    LOL you know 95% of music in the UK is illegally downloaded...singularly it is negligible but as so many people do it, its becoming a serious problem

My personal opinion is that it is wrong morally, but then I think about how overpriced music is (itunes and cds) plus as people have said before, its nt as bad as physically stealing from a person; its a faceless crime (morrally and legally)
    Ditto.

Yeah, so we probably shouldn't do it, give the owners the right to the money they deserve. But come on, 79p everytime i want some music. It adds up.

ReputationRep:
    Probably is but tbh, I don't give a ****.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think so, but if you want to support your favourite artists its best to buy their records. If you just want a dabble though, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I personally buy all my music because I just don't like downloading, I would rather buy the music and support them.

It's not morally wrong to download illegally but it just something I'm not comfortable to do.

On a similiar vien I don't often buy albums and download them that often as I prefer buy CDs, I want something physical so if anything were to go wrong I would have a hard copy. When I occassionally buy a download album from iTunes/Amazon I will still copy it to CD.

If you look around you can get CDs really cheap on Play.com or HMV.

ReputationRep:
    Its allowed to download from youtube, so i dont think so; you can download the music videos from youtube then convert them from flv to mp3
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Theft- Dishonestly appropriating property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving them of it.

How can you, therefore, steal computer software? Or, in this example, a music track?

As for the moral aspect...no idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1Mperios)
    Its allowed to download from youtube, so i dont think so; you can download the music videos from youtube then convert them from flv to mp3
    I think you need 4 more warnings for that.

ReputationRep:
    Morally wrong or not, I'm not planning on stopping.

ReputationRep:
    Morally, bands should make music not for money, but for the love of the art form.

ReputationRep:
    Torrents suck, Rapidshare premium is what you want.

(Original post by Tom B.)
    Morally, bands should make music not for money, but for the love of the art form.
    On an idealistic level, I'd agree, but bands need to eat just as much as the rest of us.

ReputationRep:
    no, it's not. so go away, aye.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.