Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think that the subjects required for medicine are probably considered more challenging than subjects required for law and ecomomics. I've always found that English, Accounting and History require less input than Chemistry, Maths and Biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephirona)
    I heard that they have less requirements in Asian countries.
    Spam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Strongly disagree. I picked So'ton over King's.

In what way is King's better than So'ton... or Manchester.. or Keele?
    Kings is better as it has more presige, bigger research science labs and facilities and in the medicine table aswell bt so'ton is also good i didnt mean to understate any uni its just if we are being honest their are some med schools that are better than others and not jus because of differences such as pbl and traditional.....c'mon now people just admit it :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiwi123)
    Kings is better as it has more presige, bigger research science labs and facilities and in the medicine table aswell bt so'ton is also good i didnt mean to understate any uni its just if we are being honest their are some med schools that are better than others and not jus because of differences such as pbl and traditional.....c'mon now people just admit it :sigh:
    I agree with this person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubix)
    I agree with this person.
    thank you very much your an honest person....other people disagreeing know deep down its the truth :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Strongly disagree. I picked So'ton over King's.

In what way is King's better than So'ton... or Manchester.. or Keele?
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    :ditto:
    Then what do the league tables measure exactly?

And why is Cambridge supposed to be so awesome?

ReputationRep:
    Is going to kings going to make you a better doctor?

If you had said "I liked it more", or "I think the structure of the course is better suited to my learning style", then fair enough. But all you've said is stuff that you think will have an impact on you, that actually has no impact on your learning.

ReputationRep:
    What about if location is a factor for the applicant?

e.g. what if they don't want to study in London, is King's still a better medical school for them.

The thing about medical schools, is what's best for one person isn't best for another, so it's unfair to say one is better than another

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubix)
    Then what do the league tables measure exactly?

And why is Cambridge supposed to be so awesome?
    I don't know because I didn't use league tables at all. I chose my place based on where I thought i'd have a better learning experience. One year soton came third after oxbridge for medicine in one of the league tables. So what? As long as the GMC say it does what its meant to and I like it then thats what matters.

Why would I know why Cambridge is so awesome? I never said it was? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coren111)
    Why is Med AAB in most unis if it is a really competitive degree? For example Law and Economics are very competitive and so are AAA at many of the top unis.
    Because the difference between AAA and AAB doesn't mean you'd make a better doctor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I don't know because I didn't use league tables at all. I chose my place based on where I thought i'd have a better learning experience. One year soton came third after oxbridge for medicine in one of the league tables. So what? As long as the GMC say it does what its meant to and I like it then thats what matters.

Why would I know why Cambridge is so awesome? I never said it was? :confused:
    You've just feigned ignorance to ignore my point. There is obviously a disparity between universities in quality of teaching. Keep telling yourself that you got the same level of education as a student in another uni. Delusion is a great drug. Just because the GMC says the uni is fine, doesn't mean they're all the same.

Goodnight.

ReputationRep:
    so HONESTLY you people.....if you got an offer from oxford, cambridge imperial......would you pass it up for keele or manchester or southampton.......HONESTLYYYYYY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubix)
    You've just feigned ignorance to ignore my point. There is obviously a disparity between universities in quality of teaching. Keep telling yourself that you got the same level of education as a student in another uni. Delusion is a great drug. Just because the GMC says the uni is fine, doesn't mean they're all the same.

Goodnight.
    :yawn: I think a senior medical student knows slightly more about it than you do. Sweet dreams.

so HONESTLY you people.....if you got an offer from oxford, cambridge imperial......would you pass it up for keele or manchester or southampton.......HONESTLYYYYYY
    I would hate to go to Oxford's medical school. Only medical science for 3 years and no patients? You're having a laugh. I'd far rather be at Barts or Peninsula.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    :yawn: I think a senior medical student knows slightly more about it than you do. Sweet dreams.

I would hate to go to Oxford's medical school. Only medical science for 3 years and no patients? You're having a laugh. I'd far rather be at Barts or Peninsula.
    Oh right, just because she's senior, it doesn't make her bias at all?
    There is a disparity between quality of teaching and you know it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubix)

Goodnight.
    I chose the best medical school for me. I don't care about league tables. The GMC regulates them and thats good enough for me. So I just had to choose based on my own criteria. Which doesn't include some prefreshers (or anyone elsese) dumb ideas on what makes a good medical school. My educational level is determined by what I put into the course that I chose to go to. I turned down Kings for Southampton. I'd do it again.

Oh and i'm deluded? At least i'm basing my knowledge on my experiences of medical school (more than one I may add) your experience of medical education is based on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I chose the best medical school for me. I don't care about league tables. The GMC regulates them and thats good enough for me. So I just had to choose based on my own criteria. Which doesn't include some prefreshers dumb ideas on what makes a good medical school. My educational level is determined by what I put into the course that I chose to go to. I turned down Kings for Southampton. I'd do it again.
    Once again you've ignored my points. If you want to keep deluding yourself fair enough.

And thanks for the rep. Incredibly petty but who am I to judge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubix)
    Once again you've ignored my points. If you want to keep deluding yourself fair enough.

And thanks for the rep. Incredibly petty but who am I to judge.
    No two medical courses are the same. You don't need a degree or even a *****y attitude to know that.

Since the only person that can judge which medical school is best is the person that has done a medical degree at lots of places, i'll go with my original point. Go where you want. If you want a designer medical school that you can impress people with just because its called oxford or cambridge or imperial or kings then go there. They offer a lot. But since you don't know enough about medicine to know the differences in the course your assumption that certain places are better will be based on nothing more than league tables and assumed prestige.

Of course i'm biased stupid. I chose one medical school over the other...Kings isn't rubbish. It wasn't right for me. I would have never applied to oxford, cambridge, imperial or any of the other ones that make uneducated prefreshers *** in their pants when they know nothing about them because the courses aren't right for me.

Sheesh.

And you're welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    No two medical courses are the same. You don't need a degree or even a *****y attitude to know that.

Since the only person that can judge which medical school is best is the person that has done a medical degree at lots of places, i'll go with my original point. Go where you want. If you want a designer medical school that you can impress people with just because its called oxford or cambridge or imperial or kings then go there. They offer a lot. But since you don't know enough about medicine to know the differences in the course your assumption that certain places are better will be based on nothing more than league tables and assumed prestige.

Of course i'm biased stupid. I chose one medical school over the other...Kings isn't rubbish. It wasn't right for me. I would have never applied to oxford, cambridge, imperial or any of the other ones that make uneducated prefreshers *** in their pants when they know nothing about them because the courses aren't right for me.

Sheesh.

And you're welcome.
    This.

You chose a med school based on your learning style and personal preference. Seeing as they are all overseen by the GMC there isnt that much difference in content surely? So what is the significance of the league table, if there is a promotion of a pretty much [ok maybe not perfectly because that would be darn near impossible] uniform system.

edit: and when I say Uniform, Im disregarding teaching style etc. You get me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubix)

Goodnight.
    I agree. It seems the only people who argue that medical teaching is uniform are those who don't go to the higher ranked schools and who quite frankly, in the majority of cases, wouldn't have got in had they applied. Harsh but true.

At the end of the day, you will become a competent doctor regardless of the medical school you went to, but it's naive to think every medical graduate will come out at the same level.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 22, 2009

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.