Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Unregistered)
    most thinking people don't generalise.
    That in itself is a generalisation.

(Original post by leroylina)
    i´ve seen him too...i don´t think there should be a pope, what´s the point of him? to lead the catholic community? well, i have to say that most of the catholic leaders are a big disappointment.
    Why should there be an Archbisop of Canterbury, or mullahs, chief rabbis or indeed, why a queen?
    Do you really think it's acceptable to criticise the beliefs and traditions of the largest faith group in the world, particularly as that criticism appears to be based on ignorance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered11)
    Why should there be an Archbisop of Canterbury, or mullahs, chief rabbis or indeed, why a queen?
    Do you really think it's acceptable to criticise the beliefs and traditions of the largest faith group in the world, particularly as that criticism appears to be based on ignorance?
    Just where is the Pope mentioned in the Bible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    He's ENGLISH ! Born and bred in Matlock, Derbyshire - if I've used those spellings its either through trying to be politically correct (eg spokesperson), and through a typo.
    Ah good good...didn't think you were a foreigner

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    can´t say anything about the queen, but i´m catholic, i went to a catholic school and i was really involved with the community, and i was inside the organization and looking at what people did, and how they claimed to be good people when they were really doing the contratry while they thought nobody was watching, well i was disappointed and that kind of people drove me away from religion.

(Original post by Tek)
    Just where is the Pope mentioned in the Bible?
    I can't see what that's got to do with having the Pope as the leader on earth of Christ's church.
    I know you're Jewish Tek and consequently do not believe that Christ is the Son of God, but I would remind you that in the New Testament (Gospels) the pope is very definately mentioned!
    "Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my Church, and to thee I will give the keys of the kingdom of Heaven"
    Yes, St. Peter was the first Pope!

ReputationRep:
    I can't see what that's got to do with having the Pope as the leader on earth of Christ's church.
    I know you're Jewish Tek and consequently do not believe that Christ is the Son of God, but I would remind you that in the New Testament (Gospels) the pope is very definately mentioned!
    "Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my Church, and to thee I will give the keys of the kingdom of Heaven"
    Yes, St. Peter was the first Pope!
    Not what Martin Luther thought though, was it?

Most of them are paedophiles anyway.
    Prejudice and ignorance alive and well in that one little sentence.

(Original post by Tek)
    Suppose he thought he was St Peter maybe - reincarnated!

(Original post by Tek)
    Martin Luther isn't especially influential in Catholic thought though- well why would he be really?
    He also believed that the Messiah had been and gone but I don't see you adopting that line of thought!

Your reply to that quote proves the quote. Only thinking people do not generalise. If you think that's a generalisation then perhaps you are not thinking deeply enough.

Suppose he thought he was St Peter maybe - reincarnated!
    Probably!

ReputationRep:
    im sure plenty of english people go to church same as americans...plenty of kids go against their will because most are baptised like months after their born so dont get a lot of say in what religion there in, if a religion at all...
    im one of the lucky ones, im baptised catholic but i can choose wether i want to go or not...irrelevant but i choose not to

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leroylina)
    my family is catholic too but i haven´t been to church in a really long time. i don´t like priests and their ideals, i don´t believe in the pope either.

I'm confused, you don't believe he exists, or you don't follow him, I would guess, already?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.