Turn on thread page Beta

Who goes to a grammar school? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregister)
    it was in some post, some guy called mjg or sommat kept goin on bout u being a genius and doing it (getting all A*s) with style

he sounded like a bum chum.

neway, just outta interest, what did u get in ur gcses? or what are u estimated.
    I haven't done my GCSEs yet, and I don't really know all my predictions.

mjg is odd, take no notice of him.

(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    I haven't done my GCSEs yet, and I don't really know all my predictions.

mjg is odd, take no notice of him.
    he is very odd indeed.

ReputationRep:
    I'm another Grammar school student, and just to further verify the fact that they're mostly not fee-paying, I go to St. Olaves Grammar school, we have students from all over South London, hardly the richest/fanciest place to be getting students from. Unfortunately a lot of the local comprehensive school kids think it's fee-paying and that we're all a bunch of posh kids. Hence we get a lot of attacks on the younger kids on their way to and from school
    As for Uni entrance, if a state grammar school kid were to be discrimiated against on the basis of their mode of education, there must surely be some case for a law suit. There is, at least, a flimsy argument for discriminating against public schools on the grounds of fair admissions for all regardless of class. But a state grammar is based on the idea that anyone from any background can gain entry through intelligence. It cannot be argued that universities are unfairly discriminating against those of a lower academic ability, because the whole basis of university is to take your studies to a higher level of learning that requires a higher academic ability.
    Dammit, the whole idea that grammar schools are unfair and bad makes me sooo angry, as if the work I put in as a little kid, missing my freetime in my childhood, was worthless. And that somehow I and society would be better off if I was placed in a comprehensive and made to hop around year groups, as I out-perform classmates, and help those struggling in their lessons. I'm the student!! I don't get paid and I'm not a teacher :mad:
    whew, rant over!

How does goin to a grammar school mean u missed out on aspects of childhood?

ReputationRep:
    I know this thread isn't for me because I don't go to a grammar school.. but my brother did and he found it worse than a comprehensive. Grammar schools are pretty strict on their kids (a lot of them anyway) and I don't think thats the right way to teach people..

(Original post by Recusant)
    I'm another Grammar school student, and just to further verify the fact that they're mostly not fee-paying, I go to St. Olaves Grammar school
    Hey I applied to Newstead (I think thats kinda near Olaves) when I was like 11 (?) and they didn't take me :mad:

But a lot of people I know who go there found it too much pressure.. so now I'm kind of glad I didn't pass the test because I know I don't work well in that type of environment..

ReputationRep:
    During my last year of primary school I spent an unbelievable amount of time preparing for the entrance tests, giving up rugby and judo 2 of my fave sports and missing out on a lot of freetime to play with friends etc. I was just so focussed on getting in, and having a rather pushy mom didn't help either
    That bit did sound somewhat bitter and worse than it was though, so I guess I take it back.

(Original post by ~Sam~)
    Are you sure that wasn't a private school? As far as i know, all Grammar Schools are state schools which means you don't have to pay. I know i dont have to
    Its an independent grammar, different to a state grammar. Hence the fees.

Oh. I don't feel i missed out on anything but then again i didnt prepare for the papers at all. The comprehensives in my area are pretty good so my parents didnt think it would be all that bad if i didnt pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    tagzt are u studying law? went to an open day at bgs for 6th form (am now at slough grammar, yr 13) and saw u (maybe u :P) make a speech!!

oh n sam, my name's sarah
    lol yeh that was prob me..yeh im doin law at merton college, oxford.

sam: i dnt think i no anyone in y12 except sophie coz she used 2 go out with my mate dave...i did maths, physics, ICT, eng lit and gen studies

(Original post by Recusant)
    I'm another Grammar school student, and just to further verify the fact that they're mostly not fee-paying, I go to St. Olaves Grammar school, we have students from all over South London, hardly the richest/fanciest place to be getting students from. Unfortunately a lot of the local comprehensive school kids think it's fee-paying and that we're all a bunch of posh kids. Hence we get a lot of attacks on the younger kids on their way to and from school
    As for Uni entrance, if a state grammar school kid were to be discrimiated against on the basis of their mode of education, there must surely be some case for a law suit. There is, at least, a flimsy argument for discriminating against public schools on the grounds of fair admissions for all regardless of class. But a state grammar is based on the idea that anyone from any background can gain entry through intelligence. It cannot be argued that universities are unfairly discriminating against those of a lower academic ability, because the whole basis of university is to take your studies to a higher level of learning that requires a higher academic ability.
    Dammit, the whole idea that grammar schools are unfair and bad makes me sooo angry, as if the work I put in as a little kid, missing my freetime in my childhood, was worthless. And that somehow I and society would be better off if I was placed in a comprehensive and made to hop around year groups, as I out-perform classmates, and help those struggling in their lessons. I'm the student!! I don't get paid and I'm not a teacher :mad:
    whew, rant over!
    Your school was where Harriet Harman sent her son to (she lived/worked in Westminster didn't she?)
    The thing about a school which gets a good academic reputation is this; more middle-class aspirants will have private tutoring for their children at primary or send them to independent schools who give extra coaching purely to pass the entrance test. These children are not necessarily the brightest of the bunch, just the most tutored and with pushy parents. The more the results get better the more selective it becomes. I think if a parent is prepared to pay to get their child a seat in a selective school (by private tutoring) then that selective school should cease to be state-aided and become fee-paying. It is no longer a truth that grammar schools are a means of working class children to get a leg-up in the social strata, they've become a cheap means for middle-classes to aspire. Selective schools have only 1.8% of children on free school meals, compared to comps and non-selectives with 13.9%!

ReputationRep:
    Well with reference to the thread title, I go to the Royal Grammar in High Wycombe (which is a state grammar)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    Well with reference to the thread title, I go to the Royal Grammar in High Wycombe (which is a state grammar)
    Which you claimed was ranked first for GCSE results when it was in fact ranked 66th

Which you claimed was ranked first for GCSE results when it was in fact ranked 66th
    The independant schools all have better rankings and therefore are better at getting the grades for their students. Its unfair that students from crappy comps like mine are expected to get AAA and compete for the same places that posh school kids are wanting, AAA for them is easy considering better funding and higher school rankings etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    The independant schools all have better rankings and therefore are better at getting the grades for their students. Its unfair that students from crappy comps like mine are expected to get AAA and compete for the same places that posh school kids are wanting, AAA for them is easy considering better funding and higher school rankings etc.
    The RGS, Blamp's school, is a state school like yours.

ReputationRep:
    No in 2002 it was first

ReputationRep:
    No in 2002 it was first
    Well you cocked up a bit in 2003, didn't you?

ReputationRep:
    Well you cocked up a bit in 2003, didn't you?
    well my year is the clever year...results are often dependant on the quality of students

I go to Churston Ferrers Grammar School in Devon. It is not, I repeat not a fee paying school. Being at the school has not taken over my childhood. This may sound mean but if you have to study all the time to pass the test you shouln't be going there. I was never tutored and I passed the 11+ my parents are working class and couln't have afforded it. The 11+ is not perfect people do get in because their parents are rich but it's not generally the case.

ReputationRep:
    well my year is the clever year...results are often dependant on the quality of students
    dont suppose u remember imran afzal frm the year that just left?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tagzt)
    dont suppose u remember imran afzal frm the year that just left?
    I do remember him I think...prefect in the year above me last year..but, don't know him in any personal capacity...is he at Oxford or something?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.