Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I love my subject and couldn't imagine doing anything else.

ReputationRep:
    i agree with happy holidays...

yes i complain, yes i feel like crying, yes i feel like punching a wall at times

but i genuinely cannot imagine me doing anything else as a degree or a career

ReputationRep:
    people who come to university with no interest or love for their subject befuddle and annoy me. well, the ***** who sit around in my seminars showing no interest in what's going on around them annoy me.

I just don't see why you'd waste your time studying something you don't enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    I find Comp Sci very interesting. But, as with almost everything I've become knowledgeable about, I can't bear the thought of people going on ignorant of the immense depth of knowledge they're missing out on and proceed to try and teach it to everyone >_>
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Ummm was Alan Pardew an inspiration here? If you don't know what I'm on about then don't worry.
    :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    people who come to university with no interest or love for their subject befuddle and annoy me. well, the ***** who sit around in my seminars showing no interest in what's going on around them annoy me.

This. it drives me insane... i also don't understand the people who come to uni because they "don't know what else to do"... i think getting yourself in £20,000 worth of debt is not the way to go about finding out what you do want to do.
    Back on subject, I can't wait to start studying my course in September, after 3 years of trying to find out what i do want to do, now I can't understand why i didn't do this in the first place :confused:. (I'm studying International Development with Anthropology)

ReputationRep:
    I like my subject. Wouldn't say I love it. Or rather, I love law but I'm not so fond of being taught it. Reading about it, writing about it, excellent. Sitting in a lecture or seminar, not so much. That's more down to various staff members than the subject itself though!

No, I hate law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)

Money.

I'm a science/engineering student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xang Lee)
    Money.

I'm a science/engineering student.
    That seems so hollow to me, it still makes such little sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    That seems so hollow to me, it still makes such little sense.
    Perhaps it will make sense when you serve me in my merc at the McDonalds drive-thru.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps it will make sense when you serve me in my merc at the McDonalds drive-thru.
    Sort of like all those oh-so-successful money grabbing bankers from the City are ending up doing now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    Sort of like all those oh-so-successful money grabbing bankers from the City are ending up doing now?
    I hate bankers.

ReputationRep:
    I hate bankers.
    So does the rest of the world. It hates loadsamoney's generally, I've found.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    So does the rest of the world. It hates loadsamoney's generally, I've found.
    Well, perhaps if you came from my background, you'd understand me.

ReputationRep:
    Well, perhaps if you came from my background, you'd understand me.
    :rolleyes:

alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)

alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)

Some of them probably just want to do enough to get a low 2i and doing it for a 'graduate job'. The irony is that vice chancellors want to increase fees, and, as a result, I feel this will increase students customers attending universities for an aggresive financial return as they need to justify their costs. Even I have thought of entering the financial sector to help pay back my debt which would be a huge shame because I wish to become involved in research for my subject after formal education. Got two postgrad courses, to take one after the after, pencilled in. :redface:

ReputationRep:
    I love my subject(s). Im mostly into history and economics (although Im not yet studying economics), but I also like the general idea of learning and discovering things to broaden your vision and improve your thinking.

Especially in history I just love getting into a topic thorugh primary sources, its like an adventure sometims, you can discover so much:redface:

ReputationRep:
    I love it. My degree is drama (major) and film studies. I can honestly say every lecture interests me. Yeah of course I get stressed out and pissed off at times- like when I have a million sodding essays due lol- but thats just part of life. I still can't believe how lucky I am in a way, to be able to go in and learn about stuff that I have complete passion for, instead of just trudging through some course because its the means to an end.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.