List of Universities asking for A* grades Watch

abdom0n
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mackemforever)
I think Warwick are thinking of it.

What I want to know is how will they handle people who have decided to apply after a gap year. e.g. me lol.
If you already have a Warwick offer they can't change it?
Lachlan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
But it's undoubtedly easier to get higher scores in public schools.
Just because private school students may find it easier to gain the entry requirements to apply (for whatever reason) does not make it any easier for them to make sure that application is successful, or at least it shouldn't and I believe won't.
Haz313
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by abdom0n)
If you already have a Warwick offer they can't change it?
Of course not
Uel369
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Look folks there is no need to worry about A*s at A- Level. Although the universities are proposing to raise the admissions to A*AA they can not enforce it quite yet as the government is still to finalise this decision i.e. they could still 'turn around' and say that they have decided to defer the A* for a few more years.

so no need to panic.

ok?

SiaSiaSia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
how will languages do?
Fiasco
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What annoys me most is that I'll be applying for 2010 entry with an A-level in Maths which I started in year 11 and am completing this year, which is the old syllabus meaning the highest grade possible is an A. How will universities handle this?
Eklipz89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mackemforever)
I think Warwick are thinking of it.

What I want to know is how will they handle people who have decided to apply after a gap year. e.g. me lol.
same thing I was wondering
billydisco
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Uel369)
Look folks there is no need to worry about A*s at A- Level. Although the universities are proposing to raise the admissions to A*AA they can not enforce it quite yet as the government is still to finalise this decision i.e. they could still 'turn around' and say that they have decided to defer the A* for a few more years.

so no need to panic.

ok?

Are you talking rubbish on purpose?

A* WILL exist! Imperial have announced for 5 departments that they wil require an A* in 2010?!?!
Uel369
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by billydisco)
Are you talking rubbish on purpose?

A* WILL exist! Imperial have announced for 5 departments that they wil require an A* in 2010?!?!
No I am not!!

the careers department at our school confirmed with our examining board that despite what the universities say they can NOT enforce the A* requirement.
abel10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by indigovioletred)
Yeah, Cambridge look at module grades, Oxford don't. To be fair it probably won't make that much difference to Cambridge offers, as they already put a fair bit of emphasis on having high modular grades, especially for things like medicine, where they're looking for an average of 93-94. Thankfully Oxford just look at grades, so they never know if you just scraped through with 81 in everything :ninja:
Damn, should've applied to Oxford instead :p:
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Fiasco)
What annoys me most is that I'll be applying for 2010 entry with an A-level in Maths which I started in year 11 and am completing this year, which is the old syllabus meaning the highest grade possible is an A. How will universities handle this?
I'm guessing they'll be able to tell on your UCAS form when you took it and what spec it was, so they could see that the highest grade was an A. I wouldn't worry, I imagine it'll be clear to them and you won't be the only case.
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
tbh, either way, some day in the future, they are going to be using the A*s. I mean, there was a person in the cambridge forum with an offer of 4As for engineering - but 90% for every A-Level. I.e. an A*A*A*A* offer in disguise.
rnshan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
tbh, either way, some day in the future, they are going to be using the A*s. I mean, there was a person in the cambridge forum with an offer of 4As for engineering - but 90% for every A-Level. I.e. an A*A*A*A* offer in disguise.

By the time you get there - you will have an offer of A*A*A*A* with 98% in all 4 :p:
neomilan
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Updated

Keep them coming!
.ACS.
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There doesn't seem to be that many, really. So far it's only Cambridge, UCL, Imperial, and Bristol have said they might include the A* grade. So far LSE and Oxford haven't included it, though they may follow suit - but to be honest, I think they'll probably wait until next year and it'll be for 2011 applicants.
billydisco
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Uel369)
No I am not!!

the careers department at our school confirmed with our examining board that despite what the universities say they can NOT enforce the A* requirement.
Examining boards are nothing to do with universities, UCAS is!!

The A* can be enforced by universities hence why Cambridge, Imperial and UCL have officially stated this will be their offer for certain subjects!
Dan1607
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
what about the people who never got a chance to get A*s
rnshan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Dan1607)
what about the people who never got a chance to get A*s
They have UMS on completed A2's. Anything above 90% is roughly equivalent to newer A* (although strictly they are not comparable as newer A2 levels is suppose to incorporate more challenging subjects - suppose to be A2 +AEA. )
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by rnshan)
They have UMS on completed A2's. Anything above 90% is roughly equivalent to newer A*
Not really, as it's possible to get ~90% even if you do less well in a module, whereas for an A* you have to get at least 90% on every module I think.
Curty
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I can't wait for the A** Grade.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The results of this poll are hidden until the poll closes.

Watched Threads