tuition fees in 2010 Watch

tea_cakes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TSK08)
sadly not lol im english.... although i hope to move there one day

tea_cakes - how come they are so much less than here??
For Scottish students, it's free as someone said earlier in the thread is paid for by the SAAS. To be honest I'm not sure why it's cheaper. I read a BBC news report that said they didn't want prices to be so high that they were priced out of the UK University market - I guess they want to be as attractive as possible to as many students as possible. But to be honest, I have no idea.
*sparkles*
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by tea_cakes)
For Scottish students, it's free as someone said earlier in the thread is paid for by the SAAS. To be honest I'm not sure why it's cheaper. I read a BBC news report that said they didn't want prices to be so high that they were priced out of the UK University market - I guess they want to be as attractive as possible to as many students as possible. But to be honest, I have no idea.
Scotland get a bulk sum each year from Parliament every year since devolution and what they do with it is at their discretion. I'm pretty sure they decided to use this to pay Scottish students fees and that's why...
Report 9 years ago
Can people not start some kind of petition?
I mean people would deffo sign it...!
TSK08
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
so basically i should go studfy in scotland cause it'd be cheaper?lol

never knew that!

as for our fees - what are they planning on rising them too????
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TSK08)
as for our fees - what are they planning on rising them too????
There are no plans and it doesn't really matter unless you're goign to start uni in 2012 onwards anyhow.
lilangel890
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by majikthise)
I presume (IF it happens) it'll be the same as when they introduced top-up fees, I started the last year of the low (£1200) fees and have been paying that amount every subsequent year.
How comes you don't pay the full tuition fees? Is this what you pay after the grant?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lilangel890)
How comes you don't pay the full tuition fees? Is this what you pay after the grant?
they are paying full fees...
Report 9 years ago
Thank God it aint hapnin in ni...!
http://www.irishnews.com/appnews/540...Risinguni.html
majikthise
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lilangel890)
As I said, I applied the year before they introduced top-up fees.
Kaiser_7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by FXX)
This really annoys me. Why do they give free help to people who never tried to learn in secondary school, then rip off those of us who want to learn. It's madness.
Unfortunately, education up to 16 is a right, not a privilege. Education post 16 is a privilege, not a right.
xzoe18x
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Reicey_x)
Is it definately going to happen? What are the poor kids meant to do, I can't afford this?!?

Some say I'm easily influenced but this would make me reconsider uni.
I would reconsider if they put the cost of tuition fees up before I start in October 2009, and if when im there they increase it and it affects students already at university cos I wont be able to afford it for sure! My parents arent well off so I wouldnt get any help from them!
desmondmac
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Kaiser_7)
Unfortunately, education up to 16 is a right, not a privilege. Education post 16 is a privilege, not a right.
Well according to Article 2 of the First Protocol of the European Convention on Human Rights, education is a right no matter what age you are :rolleyes:

I don't think people will stop going to university, they'll just have to be prepared to take and pay off a greater student loan than before. Plus, they merely want to remove the current cap on fees. So the best courses at the best universities might charge more whereas the less competitive courses will offer discounted fees, as is the case now with some universities asking for fees well below the £3000 mark. Fees will become a greater factor in deciding where you study, but won't rule out studying altogether!
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by xzoe18x)
I would reconsider if they put the cost of tuition fees up before I start in October 2009, and if when im there they increase it and it affects students already at university cos I wont be able to afford it for sure! My parents arent well off so I wouldnt get any help from them!
How can you or others not afford something you don't pay? ie you don't pay fees while at uni...
xzoe18x
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
How can you or others not afford something you don't pay? ie you don't pay fees while at uni...
If they tripled the cost of tuition fees you would be in nearly £30k of debt before u add on the debt from your livin costs! I wouldnt want to be in that much debt comin out of uni!
DancinBallerina
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Akkuz)
If people on this cycle start on £3,225 and say for example it rises to £5,000 next year, will the people who started on £3,225 keep paying the same amount or will it rise for them also?
You pay the inflation! . . .In my first year, I paid £3070, 2nd year I have paid £3145 and I guess whatever the 3rd year is (which will have gone up) I pay that! . .

I thought whatever year I entered Uni, that is the fee I would pay for the 3years, but it doesn't work like that! . . .:confused:

I read the fees could go up to £6, 500 @ my Uni . . .that is absolutely bonkers! :woo: I would not bother going to University, £3000+ is bad enough!
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If they tripled the cost of tuition fees you would be in nearly £30k of debt before u add on the debt from your livin costs! I wouldnt want to be in that much debt comin out of uni!
Why?
Whats the difference between not paying off 20k of loan compared to not paying off 40k?
xzoe18x
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Why?
Whats the difference between not paying off 20k of loan compared to not paying off 40k?
Why would u not be payin it off when u have left university?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why would u not be payin it off when u have left university?
Yea you'd pay off 20k in under the 25 year threshold if you pay 800 a year and so earn over 23,800/year :P

Depends how much you expect to earn really.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Talk about inequality.

The Scots don't have to pay tuition fees. They use English taxpayers dollar.

The English people have to go on paying fees.

Its not right. We're supposed to be the same country ffs
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by *sparkles*)
Tbh I often wonder where the over £3000 we pay now goes... :/ i have 10contact hours a week, there are over 150 people in my year on that one course, many of whom are foreign students paying even higher sums, we buy all our own books etc...
It goes to making up the funding gap left by reduced government funding.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
29.89%
No - I got the required grades (100)
57.47%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (22)
12.64%

Watched Threads