Turn on thread page Beta

Weird personal trainers watch

ReputationRep:
    pro tip: A compound exercise doesn't just mean doing two crap things at once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    Just looking at the pic here... how bad is the form on this guy?? I'm afraid sometimes i lean forwards a bit, also how do you stop the back from arching (outwards) at all? what excercises do you do to strengthen it?

[/quote]

Thats Ed Coan buddy! You don;t call out one of the lightest and first guys to squat 1000lbs in old school kit and pull over 900lbs at 90kg bodyweight without knowing what you talkjng about, you would just seem a ****

ReputationRep:
    so I'm guessing the form there is fine right?? Was just checking, i wasnt sure if what he was doing constituted as "leaning forward" or not thats all.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Well that's a pretty low bar squat (bar placed lower down on the upper back) so it's natural to lean forward a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    Due to how big the weight is? Just it looks like his back isn't straight till the top, like its locking out at the top (a bit like in a deadlift), but during pretty much most of the motion its not really near straight if you know what i mean.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Unfortunately the picture that I intended to post isn't showing up; quote my post, then put the address between the [img] tags into your address bar to see it. It shows how different types of squats have more forward lean. A very low bar squat like Mr Coan is demonstrating there will have a lot of forward lean, even at lockout. Next time you're at the gym, try a low bar squat with a weight that is difficult for you to support and see how much you have to lean forward.

ReputationRep:
    thats the thing i wasn't sure if i was doing it properly, I'm always concerned that I might be leaning forward a bit too much, i try not too unless I know im definately going to fail, but then i got thinking that on the higher weights (well still quite low... I'm still a novice) I always tend to lean forward, I wasn't sure if its bad form or if i can strengthen my lower back to keep it straight, If i have time I'll make a video one day

ReputationRep:
    You're confusing a lumbar extension with a vertical back angle.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, I was looking for the word that wouldn't imply arched back, Have some vertical back angle is ok then?

ReputationRep:
    By definition of a good squat, you must keep the bar over your mid foot, and reach your ass back. In order to fulfil both of these requirements it is not just ok to create an angle against the floor with your back, it is a necessity.

ReputationRep:
    thanks, that pics have really cleared it up (i think), But on a side note, when going back up does the back in some sense help life the weight up? When it straigtens? I always thought a squat meant back straight(ish) and most of the force comes from the quads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    thanks, that pics have really cleared it up (i think), But on a side note, when going back up does the back in some sense help life the weight up? When it straigtens? I always thought a squat meant back straight(ish) and most of the force comes from the quads.
    try doing front squats for more quad emphasis and a straighter back?

ReputationRep:
    sounds like a plan, tbh i just wasn't sure if i was doing mine legitly... I have no problems with inclining my back

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2009
Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.