Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Put it this way: my brother, who's in his final year of uni, said he'll be annoyed with me if I get a 2.1 in my first year :awesome:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It depends on how you look at it really. In my case, I just needed to pass the first year to progress onto the second; the marks don't count towards my overall degree. So it didn't matter when I didn't do that well.

On the other hand, as I don't have exams in the second year, the only exam results that will be on my academic transcript, which really won't convince anyone to fund my postgrad...

ReputationRep:
    Most of this has already been said, but:

First year marks appear on your transcript, which you'll be required to send as supporting documentation for most postgraduate courses. Considering that transcripts will normally only contain your first and second year marks (if you apply for postgrad during third year), first year marks are bound to influence your application, at least to some extent.

At Leeds--and I'm sure many other universities, too--you must average a 2.1 in your first year if you wish to apply for a year abroad. I also know somebody who did Camp America through the university over last summer, and she required the same average for that.

When I applied to do work experience at a Law firm--between first and second year--I also had to list my first year marks on the application form.

So all in all, it won't be the end of the world if you don't do well in first year. On the other hand, it is helpful for a number of reasons if you do do well. And that's not to mention the obvious course-related benefits of doing well -- a strong first year performance will certainly increase your chances of a strong performance at levels 2 and 3 (and 4?).

ReputationRep:
    Technically, it doesn't. but good luck with the rest of the course if you only manage 40%. My teacher was telling is the other day that for people that get between 4-/50% in the first year, only 1 in 10 will make it to the end of the second O:

ReputationRep:
    I think the main reason to do well in first year is that if you're planning to apply for internships in whatever career you want to take up then your first year grades will be all employers have to go on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brouhaha)
    Also, I imagine that the more you try and come to terms with/learn/read/understand in 1st year, surely it stands you in good stead for the rest of your degree?
    Exactly this. First year doesn't count, strictly speaking, but it is an essential time for getting used to how things work at Uni and self-discipline for private study etc. IMO you'd be very foolish to spend your whole first year drinking and not doing any work just because it doesn't count. You'd be very stuck when it came to 2nd year and it did count.

ReputationRep:
    I always con fused myself with this>>> is it 40% overall, or 40% for the individual module?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in that frame of mind, but not because I'm lazy, it's mainly due to doing so many other extra curricular activities and societies I accidently made myself unbearably busy most of the time. 2nd year I intend to work harder, visit the library more etc, and I know I will. Hence I get the best of both

(Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    I always con fused myself with this>>> is it 40% overall, or 40% for the individual module?
    It's both isn't it? I have to get 40% for each module which is a pass, and again overall you have to get 40% to go into the 2nd year.

ReputationRep:
    yes most only want 40%

but i think for people wanting to go into medicine after there degree, 1st year marks are looked at, and some unis will look at 1st year, plus they do say doing better in your 1st year your more likely to do well in your 2nd and 3rd

ReputationRep:
    For my course, we only need to get 40% in year one to pass onto year two. Then our mark gets scrapped as it actually doesnt count towards our degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
    In my uni/course its 40% on everything. Overall, in modules, and in module conponents (e.g. coursework, exams etc...)

ReputationRep:
    "Year 1: [Sum of best 4 half-units + (1/2) sum of remaining 4 half-units]/6
    i.e. worst 4 half-units are half-weighted"

"Final mark for the degree programme is obtained as a weighted average of these year averages (weighted 1 : 3 : 5 for BSc students and 1 : 3 : 5 : 5 for MSci students)."

So for some degrees, it does matter, although much less than the later years [on an MSc, the first year is only worth 7%]

[UCL Mathematics]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by russiaismyvogue)
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7280861578

Is this true?
    sounds like a load of ******** to me, you need to study even though it doesn't count officially. You just have to pass and doesn't go towards final grade.

If you spend the first year not working enough, you won't fair well in the second year.

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid group. It mattered to me personally and it also matters for my year abroad in a few months. I agree too- if you don't work hard enough during first year you'll find second year a complete ***** and unless you're one of those who can scrape through, you probably won't do well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisticated)
    Exactly this. First year doesn't count, strictly speaking, but it is an essential time for getting used to how things work at Uni and self-discipline for private study etc. IMO you'd be very foolish to spend your whole first year drinking and not doing any work just because it doesn't count. You'd be very stuck when it came to 2nd year and it did count.

This, and also the first year does count. It's like 11% of something silly, but if you can't get your arse into gear while it's ACTUALLY EASY you will have a ***** of a time adjusting to your second and third years which are worth considerably more.

ReputationRep:
    My first year did not count, I came away with a 65 average, but that was down to the classes I picked really, to be honest if it did count I would have put some work in. I've done much better this year though, which is meant to be the hardest year out of the whole degree, so I think I can keep up my first average. Honestly if you do badly in first year but come away with a 1st class degree I doubt it will matter at all.

What a disgusting, filthy sentiment.

We are not certificate seekers, lulled by a 2:1 or 1st, satisfied we can now parade on the job market.

We are here to learn, we are part of an intricate web of culture. Down with those who spit in the face of our scholarly forefathers whom dedicated their lives to giving us, all of us, the right to education.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think of the year abroad! The uni I want to go to offer this and I think you have to apply in 1st/2nd year so it probably would be important. However I (sadly) like to do well in English at all times so I would try hard anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yup most uni's just want you to get 40% to pass the first year, they dont count as part of your degree classification. Mine did but id double check with yours just to make sure!

ReputationRep:
    For French at UCL first year marks count for a small percentage of the overall grade it goes like this 1: 3: 5: 5, it's really annoying that my year abroad is weighted as much as my final year! First year grades count towards applications to the Sorbonne but not for other erasmus places apparently. I have a few dodgy module marks but overall I had a 2.i so I'm pleased with that

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.