Turn on thread page Beta

Recently come into a lot of money watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)
    what's the point of a thread where the OP says something interesting and disappears?
    really
    I'm still here :ninja:

I won after buying a lotto ticket I bought with tip money (I work in a pub) and matched 5 numbers and the bonus ball, so its six figures. I can't believe I am writing this. I've had to sort out my accounts with the bank, it is just so surreal. Like should I give up my job? I'm worried that even if I tell my close friends at uni things will change. After all I have only known them for a few months.

ReputationRep:
    How much?!?!?!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    Recently come into a lot of money
    Anyone else thought this was going to be about something else entirely lol. Oh come on, I'm not the only one ;]
    Edit: And it's in H&R!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meredith_Grey)

I won after buying a lotto ticket I bought with tip money (I work in a pub) and matched 5 numbers and the bonus ball, so its six figures. I can't believe I am writing this. I've had to sort out my accounts with the bank, it is just so surreal. Like should I give up my job? I'm worried that even if I tell my close friends at uni things will change. After all I have only known them for a few months.
    :woo: Is it really enough to consider giving up your job for? :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I AM SO JEALOUS.

You have just entered into the realm of people whos lives are so much less stressfull because of their financial situation.

I'd tell your parents so you feel supported in knowing what to do with it.

If you're feeling a bit overwhelmed then chuck £100 my way?

ReputationRep:

Hey, wanna be mates? :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliphatic)
    :woo: Is it really enough to consider giving up your job for? :eek3:
    She's at uni; giving up a part-time waitressing job hardly equates to throwing away a career.

ReputationRep:
    Depending on the day, 5 numbers with the Bonus Ball could be anywhere between 100k and 500k.

Personally I would concentrate on completing your degree first. Don't feel you have to tell your friends or family just yet.

ReputationRep:
    dont the local papers get to you? and have you in their papers as 'student cant believe she won some cash and asked TSR for advice' along with your picture, surely then quite a few will know.

that and all the money stops me from playing the lottery

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations. Personally I'd give up a part time job such as your pub job unless I really enjoyed it. I don't think I'd tell my uni friends, and I'd just continue in the same lifestyle as before, perhaps buying the occasional nicer purchase like gadgets and better food. I'd tell my family though, and probably give them some + pay my own rent instead of them helping with it.

ReputationRep:
    I won after buying a lotto ticket I bought with tip money (I work in a pub) and matched 5 numbers and the bonus ball, so its six figures.
    Six figures is nice to have but not going to change the world, so tell you parents and keep/spend it wisely. You're luck; it's enough to give you a decent start in life without overwhelming it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd whack it into a nice savings account and use the interest to make life more comfortable. Then use it towards getting yourself nicely onto the property ladder after university.

Sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Hey congratulations.

I would not tell anyone at university even though it is HUUUUGE news. Friends can be funny with money....

First of all perhaps pay off any debts or your student loan that will feel like such a burden has been lifted. If you hate your student job you can quit now, but if you like the people you work with etc maybe you might want to stay? There is no need for your entire life to change. When you think about it the rah rahs who have tonnes of dosh from their parents still go to uni and lead relatively (albeit enhanced with skiing holidays and the like) normal lives.

I think you should definitely carry on with your degree which it sounds like you would anyway, you haven't mentioned anything about changing your life. (although if you felt like you wanted to change course or anything like that you have the financial freedom now )

As someone said it makes life a lot less stressful. I'm really happy for you

I think you should settle all your debts and then tell your family. Well maybe just your mum and dad and if you want to then pay off any debts they have which are causing them stress, though you don't have to do this. it is your money. I think that would be nice though personally.

I think you should tell someone though because it is big news and you don't want to be keeping it a total secret. It is life changing but in a good way you will get used to it. It's actually a good amount because you still need to invest 100k and not go totally mad you're not a millionaire but with sound judgement it's a VERY good start in life.

ReputationRep:

Don't tell your friends then. It won't last forever so only give up your job if you hate it... you'll have to find another job eventually though, if you want to keep your life "normal".

But yeah, pay off yours and your parents' debt and whatnot then tell them. :p:

Edit: oh hehe, it's at a pub. Whatever, your call then.

ReputationRep:
    theres a big difference between 100k and 999,999

I would stash most of it away til you need it for something. you obviously dont have to tell your family

I've recently come into a lot of money myself though not from any joyful reason, but over the death of a lost blood relative. I was the only one left to take it

Strange times.. strange days

ReputationRep:
    Gambling is still a tax on ignorance so buy yourself some bloody books

ReputationRep:

I wouldn't tell them, at least not for quite a while until you have got used to having that money. It must be tempting to tell people though and hard to keep it a secret! Carry on as normal because you are still exactly the same person except with a much healthier bank balance. Enjoy your uni experience and I think making it known to all your mates now would make things difficult for you. At the end of the day that money is YOURS. If you dont trust yourself with all that money then you could see a solicitor and get some advice. Trust funds are safe and a way of not fluttering it away. Be prudent but treat yourself occasionally. I can sort of relate to you. Because when i was in the second year of my BA my old man died and I got quite a bit of inheritance. I paid my student loan off and went on a couple of overseas holidays, bought a car. Found I didn't have to scrimp all of a sudden. It was pretty good actually! Oh, Don't the LOTTO people have financial advisors to advise you properly in these situations? I thought they did. Don't worry, you are in a great position, be happy. I'm really happy for you!

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations on the big win!

If you've got enough money to pay off your uni debts and buy yourself a house OUTRIGHT, then my friend, you're living the dream!

Be sensible with it, give up your job (if it's part-time) and enjoy yourself

ReputationRep:
    how much??? can u send me some

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2009
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.