Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How lenient are they if you already have A-levels in maths, physics and psychology + Welsh Bacc with their standard offer being BB? I would be applying to do Physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bedwasboy2k6)
    How lenient are they if you already have A-levels in maths, physics and psychology + Welsh Bacc with their standard offer being BB? I would be applying to do Physics.
    Well it would depend on what your A level grades were in the first place! And if you already have your A levels then leniency isn't really an issue...its not the same as being offered a conditional place and then realising you didn't get the grades on results day. When applying as someone who's already got their final A level grades, you'll either be given an unconditional offer or rejected, and then at least you can apply to some more if you want to!

ReputationRep:
    I have placed my firm choice as exeter for the business management course which is pretty competitive, and they conditionally offered me a place for AAA...

I personally think I will achieve AAB, and the AS level that I dropped was an A, also my personal statement was strong, as I was student union president at my college.

I know it is hard to predict, but will that put me in good stead? or do i not stand a chance as i would not meet the official offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carterswan)
    I have placed my firm choice as exeter for the business management course which is pretty competitive, and they conditionally offered me a place for AAA...

I personally think I will achieve AAB, and the AS level that I dropped was an A, also my personal statement was strong, as I was student union president at my college.

I know it is hard to predict, but will that put me in good stead? or do i not stand a chance as i would not meet the official offer?

the reason its difficult to predict becus it depends on how the other applicants did. unis normally giv out more offers than places so. i was in the same position as u, my offer was AAA (even tho in my interview i sed AAB was the highest i cud get) but i got AAB, and didnt get accepted. (i did get an offer for comin year tho) so like i sed it depends on other ppl cus if most others meet their requirements then ther is not a lot they can do. however, ur application seems strong so if they still hav sum places u hav a good chance of gettin in. all u can do is wait. good luck

ReputationRep:
    They were very lenient with me. I missed my required grades by 4 points (I did the IB) but got the required grades in my languages. Exeter told me to wait until A-Level results day and then I got a letter saying, see you in September!

Then I asked to defer and change my course and they allowed me to.

My PS was da bomb though. And I did IB which we all know pwns A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, I really wouldn't want to defer my entry though! my second choice is southampton so I would probably just settle for that!
    fingers crossed I get in off the strength of my personal statement which I am confident in... But you never really know! I made a huge error in choosing which AS level to drop..

ReputationRep:
    Turns out not very lenient at all!

my offer was AAA, and I got A*AB, with the B being only 2 marks off an A, and with another AS level at an A... plus being student union president and governor for the college! As well as playing cricket to a good level!

But I didn't get in, and they wouldn't reconsider!!

ReputationRep:
    Condolences, but I'm struggling to understand why you think cricket skills would have helped you out.

Unless you thought your PS would knock them for six.

No, I'm stumped.

ReputationRep:
    Exeter is big on sport and Cricket is one of their big sports, on the open day some said they look kindly on sports players

Good pun usage..

ReputationRep:

my offer was AAA, and I got A*AB, with the B being only 2 marks off an A, and with another AS level at an A... plus being student union president and governor for the college! As well as playing cricket to a good level!

Feel sorry for you! My friend got rejected too with an offer of AAA and she ended up with AAB.
    So where are you going then??

That's exceedingly harsh. Unlucky. I guess Uni are being tight this year as they were very lenient last year and got themselves in a lot of trouble for it.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ not to mention that unis will now be fined if they overrecruit...

ReputationRep:
    History overrecrted a LOT last year apparently, when choosing modules I wanted to take one in the History department and was told how they're all over subscribed and not letting them be taken as electives; i think this is true in a lot of subject areas.

But the A*AB is just bad luck, especially seeing as on the UCAS tariff itd be the same as AAA!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah!

My insurance is southampton, and I have been accpeted there, I'm not too disappointed, its a lot closer to home, and according to some sources is actually a better university this year anyway!

I was thinking of getting the one paper remarked as it was so close, (Also I had felt confident coming out of the exam, more so than the other 2, in which I got 110/120 and 133/140!! so to get 79/100 was massively disappointing.) Do you think its worth remarking? How much of a part do A levels play with graduate employers?

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on which course you're doing and how oversubscribed they are.
    Courses such as history and english tend to be very popular at exeter so you really do need to meet your offer. The sciences I believe though, tend to have a bit more leeway

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they're going to be too lenient this year: I was speaking to a couple of admin people I know, and apparently the entire university has gone over their limit. Especially the business school. Maths/Physics/Engineering haven't, but as the entire Uni has gone over, I doubt leniency is going to be high up on the list...

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it would be worth getting my paper remarked so that it would look better on my CV?
    Or do A levels not matter with graduate employers?

Do you think it would be worth getting my paper remarked so that it would look better on my CV?
    Or do A levels not matter with graduate employers?
    Remarks don't get put on your CV (or at least they shouldn't be!) so yes go ahead if you're confident you won't drop a grade. Your exam certification will be telltale though if you end up resitting. Remarks however will be fine.

Some graduate employers look for a certain amount of UCAS points but not all. Usually it's around the 300 mark which is BBB in three a levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrissalix)
    Remarks don't get put on your CV (or at least they shouldn't be!) so yes go ahead if you're confident you won't drop a grade. Your exam certification will be telltale though if you end up resitting. Remarks however will be fine.
    Well as I was only 2 UMS off an A it means that I'd have to drop well over 10 marks to drop a grade and I'm pretty sure I didn't do that badly!
    I have never done a resit, and you say remarking wouldn't affect my CV?

Well as I was only 2 UMS off an A it means that I'd have to drop well over 10 marks to drop a grade and I'm pretty sure I didn't do that badly!
    I have never done a resit, and you say remarking wouldn't affect my CV?
    You choose what you do and don't put on your CV. It's not magically written for you. It's up to you to write it, choose what goes on it and fill it. Normally you'd put your grades on your CV. Your UMS scores don't need to be on there. Employers only care about grades. UMS scores are redundant once you're into uni.

I don't think remarking would affect it as the certification date on your exam certificates would be the same, as you sat all your exams and got those marks at the same time. Whereas if you resat next summer, you'd have a certificate with a different date on it a year later which looks less good. As long as your remark puts you up a grade, it's fine. If it doesn't, and you then resit, it's more of a problem. I would get it remarked if I was confident that I wouldn't drop a grade.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

University of Exeter Guide

Accommodation profiles:

Fresh Student Living

Fresh Student Living

Fresh provide student accommodation across the country in a number of locations.

Quick Link:

Unanswered University of Exeter Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.