Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bansheeee*)
    in general ,i think overweight people eat too much ,and dont excersize ,it doesn't have to be unhealthy food they are eating ,just too much food in general.

Cheers for groundbreaking information einstein.

In other news, if you put your hands in fire it may burn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Future pilot)
    No this is incorrect. Just because a skinny person could eat a lot , that doesn't mean a fat person eats more than the skinny person. Everyone is different and genes play a big roll in this. Metabolism also......
    why are so many americans obese then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bansheeee*)
    why are so many americans obese then?
    Like he said, its thier genes, they carry extra hamburgers in them and more disposable income for even cheaper ****** food

ReputationRep:
    It said on horizon that fat people have a faster metabolism because they have a larger body mass to supply with energy. So apparently 'slow metabolism' is actually an excuse becasue you would be really ill if you had a 'slow metabolism'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Like he said, its thier genes, they carry extra hamburgers in them and more disposable income for even cheaper ****** food
    Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Can't remember where I heard it, but apparently it's better to be overweight but healthy inside, than correct weight but unhealthy inside. You can still get clogged arteries if you're skinny, and you can still have a perfect heart if you're overweight. Obviously there's a point when it gets too far, where the comorbid conditions that come with obesity overtake the dangers of the obesity itself. But in general, a moderately overweight person who exercises and eats healthily, maintaining a BMI of over 25 (but not too far) is healthier than someone with a BMI of exactly 22 who lives off 2000 calories a day of kebab and chips, in front of the TV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    in-deed
    I hope you flexed your percolators when you said that. flexicles your chesticles.

Yeah I totally agree, the new age of unhealthy people devouring fast food/drinking and doing no exercise is upon us, it's a shame. Just because a girl is 120 lbs or whatever, she may have lots of fat and little muscle mass. We have a culture of laziness, and rely on fad diets, high tech workout gadgets that we buy and don't use anyway, and cringe at the thought of effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starvla246)
    Who agrees that we are in the grip of a skinny fat epidemic? We are always being told about the obesity levels in the country etc but what about all those people of "healthy" weight who eat crap and don't exercise. Are they really fat on the inside?

I think I am one of them (not overweight but got alot of fat on me) Do you think this is just as unhealthy as being over "weight"?
    For starters i'll just say that i myself am not the epitome of fitness :p: i mean i'm probably in better shape than your average teenager but far from actually being 'fit'. During the last year i've been focusing much more on my diet and exercise as i gained a few pounds (at my biggest i was 160lbs, 5"7. I'm 150lbs now.) and noticed that i wasn't comfortable at that weight anymore.

I never ate incredibly unhealthy; 'normal' home cooked food - but candy and cookies a tad too often which is why i gained weight. The thing is, i had friends my age who ate considerably worse than me (junk food, crisps, a lot more candy than me, soda etc) but still didn't gain that much weight (if any). I guess i can call myself lucky for actually gaining weight because that made me realize how important it is to actually take care of what i put into my body. People who don't get fat on the outside might gain fat on their organs (this obviously doesn't show on the outside but is just as, if not more, unhealthy) and all pretty much all of them get higher blood pressure and cholesterol values. I never got high blood pressure or high cholesterol because my diet wasn't particularly unhealthy (i.e. no excess salt or bad fats, well besides from the goodies) but - i just ate too much compared to how little i spent on exercise. The dangerous thing about 'skinny fat' is that the individuals might not notice what they're doing with their bodies, the stress they're putting it under. This will inevitably lead to unpleasant 'surprises' later on in life when they develop different diseases due to the damage they weren't even aware of doing before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ironmike)
    An ex girlfriend from long ago was like this. She was just under 6 foot, size 8-10, but was one of the most unhealthy people I have ever met. We got her body fat analysed at uni when I was messing around in the labs, and she came out at 36% fat. That put her firmly in the morbidly obese category, but to look at her you would have thought she worked out everyday. She looked skinny, but yes absolutely she would have had an elevated risk of coronary problems and high cholesterol. Some people just seem to hide fat better than others, and to my knowledge, nobody is yet absolutely sure why!
    Definitely this. I know both skinny people who are fat on the "inside", who have high cholesterol and blood pressure, and I know mildly overweight people who have neither of these problems. Case in point: my father was very thin when he was younger...and very physically active. He's now considered to be mildly overweight...but swims for an hour everyday, walks three miles everyday, and does some mild weight training. His heartbeat is 55 bpm, his blood pressure is around 110/65, and his cholesterol levels are nowhere near concerning. Perhaps he merely has good genes, but it certainly suggests to me that there is a healthy weight for most people, and that it differs widely.....and that "thin" doesn't necessarily translate into "healthy".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    This is because they do a hell of a lot of physical activity. Yes, they probably generally have a faster metabolism than most because they are fit and have a decent amount of muscle mass, but this will not account for anywhere near that many calories above what the normal person requires.
    I know, but you understand where I'm coming from. BUT, its not unreasonable for a fit and healthy person to be able to intake 3500 calories without gaining weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nebulae42)
    I know, but you understand where I'm coming from. BUT, its not unreasonable for a fit and healthy person to be able to intake 3500 calories without gaining weight.
    Only if they're keeping active. I know the calculations aren't an exact science, but an estimate for the BMR of a 6'2'', 100kg 20 year old man is still only 2300kcal.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but BMR is accurate if the person was to lie in bed all day. Factor in activity levels and it would be more like 3000+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mart1203)
    Yeah but BMR is accurate if the person was to lie in bed all day. Factor in activity levels and it would be more like 3000+
    I know, but I reckon to be 1200 over your BMR you need to be pretty active. I reckon I was gaining weight pretty well on around 3500 with a BMR of around 1600 and a lot of exercise. I do recognise, however, that a guy who weighs 100kg is going to burn more calories than me through his activities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    You actually raise a point. People with lower incomes are more likely to buy crap food. So I guess the skinnyfat/obesity epidemic can partially be attributed to that. (Now that I've started thinking, I've thought of a ton more 'reasons' so merci... I know what to talk about for my French oral now )

ReputationRep:
    Isn't skinny-fat just a misnomer for people with the right amount of fat and not enough muscle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moneyfaery)
    You actually raise a point. People with lower incomes are more likely to buy crap food. So I guess the skinnyfat/obesity epidemic can partially be attributed to that. (Now that I've started thinking, I've thought of a ton more 'reasons' so merci... I know what to talk about for my French oral now )
    I don't understand why people on low incomes buy junk food. Its not that much cheaper if at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben_lines)
    I don't understand why people on low incomes buy junk food. Its not that much cheaper if at all
    Depends what it is. I definitely think junk food is a lot cheaper. I can spend so much in a supermarket trying to buy healthy food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben_lines)
    I know! its downright silly, but in economics this kind of food actually has its own term; McDonalds food is a so called inferior good - the demand for inferior goods increases when consumer income falls and decreases when consumer income increases. I guess the psychology behind it might be that people get depressed during recessions when their income falls and people get bunked and so they are more drawn to comfort food? Also, many people have the (false) perception that junk food is cheaper than real food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Depends what it is. I definitely think junk food is a lot cheaper. I can spend so much in a supermarket trying to buy healthy food.
    I agree, also junk food is more often on special offer ,buy one get one free etc And there`s always Jack Fultons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keepoffthelawn)
    I know! its downright silly, but in economics this kind of food actually has its own term; McDonalds food is a so called inferior good - the demand for inferior goods increases when consumer income falls and decreases when consumer income increases. I guess the psychology behind it might be that people get depressed during recessions when their income falls and people get bunked and so they are more drawn to comfort food? Also, many people have the (false) perception that junk food is cheaper than real food.

The thing about Economics is that it is based on a rather strange assumption that all buyers act rationally.

And fat people don't do rational when they're hungry

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.