Turn on thread page Beta

Barack Obama's New Year message to Iran watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by My Name is Legion)
    Consorting with the enemy, I see. Gain their trust, and strike whilst their guard is down. He's more intelligent, then I thought.
    Yeah it's an intelligent plan..
    he was sorta foolish for thinkin it'd work though.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...ack-obama-iran

Hah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King4eva)
    haha he tried to speak farsi at the end
    Kindly refer to it as 'Persian', not Farsi, thankyou

(Original post by Bateman)
    And Iran has sharia law, but it hasn't hanged someone for being gay in the past 20 years, therefore it is safe to say they don't.

Yes they DO.
    Once they've been found out to be having gay sex (usually through rape accusations) then they're executed - otherwise there's no other way of finding out they're gay.

So do i, but the fact is, it isn't happening to the extent you think it is, Iranians have a lot more freedom than they did 10 years ago, and certainly a lot more than other middle eastern countries (excluding Israel).
    ********. The only countries we have more freedom than is Saudi Arabia and some of the Persian Gulf states..and of course the poor Palestinians. Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Turkey, Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco (north Africa but still considered Middle East)..ALL have more freedom than us.

(Original post by KLL)
    actually....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNfI2fWFgCY
    And OMG.

ReputationRep:

Yes they DO.
    Once they've been found out to be having gay sex (usually through rape accusations) then they're executed - otherwise there's no other way of finding out they're gay.
    rape being the key word here.

********. The only countries we have more freedom than is Saudi Arabia and some of the Persian Gulf states..and of course the poor Palestinians. Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Turkey, Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco (north Africa but still considered Middle East)..ALL have more freedom than us.

lmao, are you serious? just because they don't have to wear the hijab :lmao:
    have you been to Iran?

ReputationRep:
    Why persian and not farsi?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AppleandMangoPie)
    Cos we are speaking English....

ReputationRep:
    I didn't give an analysis, i gave a fact.
    No you didn't. The message was the fact. All that stuff about hardliners v moderates was your analysis of it. I commented on that.

So do i, but the fact is, it isn't happening to the extent you think it is, Iranians have a lot more freedom than they did 10 years ago, and certainly a lot more than other middle eastern countries (excluding Israel).
    ****ing roll on! Yet another Iranian blogger died in prison a few days ago after insulting Khamenei on his weblog, censorship is rife in Iran, protestors and journalists are regularly sent to jail where they can be killed, and people deemed "too liberal" can't run for election. Your idea of freedom sucks.

Now hear this Bateman, I don't want to hear any rants from you along the lines of "omg ur a joke" or "lmao u aint never been to Iran". The only thing I want to have is sources, solid, verifiable facts to dispute my claims. Or you can agree with me, as most logical humans do.

Except that these guys didn't rape anyone. Read the sources.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have some sort of reading difficulty? I said accusations - regardless of whether they're actually guilty of rape, they're then killed on the basis of their homosexuality.

lmao, are you serious? just because they don't have to wear the hijab :lmao:
    have you been to Iran?
    Is this your answer to everything?
    In nearly every debate you have with Democracy, it all boils down to 'you haven't even BEEN to Iran'... of course this is only after he's proved you wrong and you've had to resort to cheap comebacks (like your trademark). Just because we aren't freshies, unlike someeeeee :rolleyes:
    Yes, Batefail, I've been to Iran.

It's not just because they don't have to wear hijab, but SURELY the right to dress how you please is the most basic indication of freedom? I'm not saying they don't have freedom, I'm saying they aren't freer than people of other ME countries, examples being Egypt, Jordan and Lebanon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AppleandMangoPie)
    Yeah, Farsi is how we say it when we're speaking Persian.

Here's a lil comparison

French --- Persian
    Francais --- Farsi

K?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by persian.royalty)
    Do you have some sort of reading difficulty? I said accusations - regardless of whether they're actually guilty of rape, they're then killed on the basis of their homosexuality.

Is this your answer to everything?
    In nearly every debate you have with Democracy, it all boils down to 'you haven't even BEEN to Iran'... of course this is only after he's proved you wrong and you've had to resort to cheap comebacks (like your trademark). Just because we aren't freshies, unlike someeeeee :rolleyes:
    Yes, Batefail, I've been to Iran.

It's not just because they don't have to wear hijab, but SURELY the right to dress how you please is the most basic indication of freedom? I'm not saying they don't have freedom, I'm saying they aren't freer than people of other ME countries, examples being Egypt, Jordan and Lebanon.
    Wow, i'd hate to marry someone who thought having to wear a headscarf (which incidently, a lot of the countries you mentioned also have to do) is worse than having fewer rights.

It is not a comeback, it is a genuine question, the way you and democracy describe Iran led me to believe that you've never been to Iran. I was right on Democracy, so i asked you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)

****ing roll on! Yet another Iranian blogger died in prison a few days ago after insulting Khamenei on his weblog, censorship is rife in Iran, protestors and journalists are regularly sent to jail where they can be killed, and people deemed "too liberal" can't run for election. Your idea of freedom sucks.
    yes, your point being? I never said Iran was free and neither did i say it was better than the west, i said it was better than the middle east :rolleyes:

Now hear this Bateman, I don't want to hear any rants from you along the lines of "omg ur a joke"
    but you are.

ReputationRep:
    The Americans tried something like this a few years ago, a lot of points were actually agreed upon. The problem is in regards to intelligence on how Iran works the West doesn't really know who it is talking to in terms of the Iranian leadership which makes these sort of deals quite problematic.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, i'd hate to marry someone who thought having to wear a headscarf (which incidently, a lot of the countries you mentioned also have to do) is worse than having fewer rights.
    I'm going to ignore the marriage comment, because I don't have enough time to list why you'd rank #1 in the Worst Potential Husband list.

Let's focus on the main issue here: there are two countries in the Middle East which makes wearing hijab mandatory - Iran and Saudi Arabia.

Lebanon? Jordan? Egypt? Syria? Turkey? Morocco?

They don't have to wear hijab you fool

It is not a comeback, it is a genuine question, the way you and democracy describe Iran led me to believe that you've never been to Iran. I was right on Democracy, so i asked you.
    Being a boy, what would you know about women's rights in Iran :s Of course I know more about it, I'm a girl

Can someone please explain to me why this boy persists to make such foolish points :|?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Farsi is how we say it when we're speaking Persian.

Here's a lil comparison

French --- Persian
    Francais --- Farsi

K?

Erm...I don't think thats true. Maybe someone can second it.
    Persian is the race (well, now called Iranians) not the language.
    Farsi is the language.
    Its like saying Brazilians' speak brazilian.

ReputationRep:
    "Have you released Iranian assets? Have you lifted oppressive sanctions? Have you given up mudslinging and making accusations against the great Iranian nation and its officials? Have you given up your unconditional support for the Zionist regime?

-Ayatollah Khamenei quoted in "The Guardian"

Like i said earlier, unless the moderates sweep to victory, nothing's going to change. *shrug*

ReputationRep:
    yes, your point being? I never said Iran was free and neither did i say it was better than the west, i said it was better than the middle east .
    Well you're wrong then aren't you? In terms of personal freedom, Egypt, Bahrain, Kuwait and so forth are far freerer than Iran. I mean, come on, why do you think the rich Saudi kids escape to Bahrain on the weekends to go clubbing?

but you are.
    Still waiting for sources :]

No they don't, read some books why don't you?

Who the **** cares what you have to say about Iran? You provide NO evidence for your views, why the hell should anyone have to believe anything you say?

If you can't take being caned by persian.royalty and myself, that's fine, the answer is not to debate with us. The answer isn't to put in bull**** points like "u aint never bin to Iran lol".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harmonyy.)
    Farsi is the language.
    Rubbish. Persians are still an ethnic group in Iran. 52% of Iranians are Persian. They call their language Farsi. However, in English it can be called Persian as it is the Persian people's language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Rubbish. Persians are still an ethnic group in Iran. 52% of Iranians are Persian. They call their language Farsi. However, in English it can be called Persian as it is the Persian people's language.
    I see, thanks for clearing that up.

ReputationRep:
    Farsi is the language.
    No.
    Farsi means 'Persian'..in Persian.
    Persian and Iranian are not the same thing, only 54% of Iranians are Persians.
    And yeah what Democracy said :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    No.
    Farsi means 'Persian'..in English.
    Persian and Iranian are not the same thing, only 54% of Iranians are Persians.
    And yeah what Democracy said :rolleyes:

Yeah just to reiterate... All Persians are Iranians, but not all Iranians are Persian.

ReputationRep:
    I see, thanks for clearing that up.
    You're welcome.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.