Turn on thread page Beta

Are you scared of dying? I'm terrified :( watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm terrified also. A lot of my views have already been stated.
    Apparently that if people are of a certain age, on their death bed, they're sort of willing to die - there time has come. I hope it's like that when i die, as in there's nothing to fear anymore. It also helps if your in physical contact with someone you love. Everyone knows that a hug makes you happy - it sort of spreads high emotions out over people, resulting in a calming effect. That would probably be the least worst way to die.
    I also don't want to chose religion as a safety net if i dont truly believe 'cos then there's no point really.

If it helps, the world after you die will be similar to before you lived - you weren't there. Plus you'll probably have been totally forgotten in 200 years, sad but true.

We fear what we do not know.

ReputationRep:
    Achmed The Dead Terrorist: "I KILL YOOUUUUUUUUUUUU"

ReputationRep:
    Death is only the beginning.

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember who said it but "the fear of dying is worse than death itself".

I'm only scared that if I die young then my family, gf and close friends will be really upset and do something stupid.

ReputationRep:
    I am Treebeard and have lived here for a very long time.

ReputationRep:
    everyone should just thank they arent facing the possibility of death everyday such as those in war torn countries.

ReputationRep:
    The way I see it is what will happen, will happen. No point fearing the inevitable, just live for now and put it out of your mind

(Original post by TheBrightShadow)
    everyone should just thank they arent facing the possibility of death everyday such as those in war torn countries.
    Everyone faces the possibility of death everyday, all it takes is a little bit of bad luck.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/ipc/pcwe

youre going to die and were all going to die and if it happens it happens

ReputationRep:
    First of all - happy birthday

Now, it's only natural being scared of death, isn't it? If not, you're a daredevil.

ReputationRep:
    Like some people have said, for me, the way in which Im going to die doesnt bother me too much. Its the idea of disappearing off the face of the planet and not knowing what becomes of our conscious self.

I went through a stage in my life last year when I started to think more about these things - life, and how short it is, the terrifying prospect that when we shut our eyes for the last time we lose our place on this earth, lose all the things and the people we love, and generations of people will take our place and we will be forgotten. I got totally consumed by a massive feeling of dread about our ultimate fate, couldnt help thinking it was just all doom. I couldnt bear the thought there would be a time I wouldnt be able to reach my loved ones, or worse not be aware they even once existed.
    I cant describe how it feels to think about these things constantly, because none of lifes 'distractions' could distract me, and with time, i stopped making the effort to change and get back into the swing of life.

I looked into religeon (to save my sanity) and found the idea of eternity equally terrifying and impossible to comprehend. Thats before you even bring hell into it, and the idea that God would condemn people to eternal torture disturbed me hugely, especially thinking about people I know who I love but, according to religeon 'sin' regularly.

In the end theres no solution, no comfort, both things i desperately needed at the time, but just being in a healthier, happier mindset and keeping busy with everyday 'life things' is all we can do.

But yeah, i thought no one my age (18) thought about death as much as me, nice to see im wrong:redface:

ReputationRep:
    or in sanity

ReputationRep:
    im not scared. id be pissed off if i knew i was going to die because ive forgotten to feed the cat or publish a novel and i dont have time. but its nothing to be scared of, and at the moment of death nobody is scared due to the hormones released beforehand.

its odd people can and do think about this, shows intelligence, but we dont have the intelligence to work it out, maybe were not meant to. i spent a while thinking about it and the best thing i could do was laugh.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be scared. Hell is fun.

ReputationRep:
    youre not the only one. i think about it almost everyday, about how the past 3 years passed so quickly and how it seems that time just goes by quicker and quicker. im also scared for my parents, i get icredibly down when i notice how they have aged (i only see them once every 4 months), and i wonder how long i have before they die and how i wish they were younger because i know i wouldnt be able to cope when they died. i also think of what it feels like to die, whether you know that this is the end or not. i hate the fact that i am now already 19, and i wish i could stay this age for longer. i know i spend way too much time thinking about my and other's deaths but since my friend died in a car accident a couple of months ago i finally realised how SHORT life is. absolutely terrifying, but also irreversible and inevitable unfortunately.... just hate to think of the fact that all the people i surround myself with will end up rotting in a grave one day.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit scared of how I die.... like being in pain and being absolutely terrified of what's happening etc.
    But I'm not actually scared of dying itself.

ReputationRep:
    Im not really scared of dying, and don't really care when i die or how i die.

Although that isnt to say im a depressed person who doesnt enjoy life, quite the opposite, just try make the best out of everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prettyinpunk1)
    I'm a bit scared of how I die.... like being in pain and being absolutely terrified of what's happening etc.
    But I'm not actually scared of dying itself.
    Yeah, me too. I'm not afraid of dying, but I am afraid of dying from cancer or a similar illness.

ReputationRep:
    I fear being forgotten and insignificant more than death, to be honest.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2013
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.