Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Guys! I've got to ask you something.
    Suppose I choose to Apply for MEng degree, and don't make the required grades, could they let me do the BEng course, which has a lower requirement than the MEng.
    And if I keep my scores in the university up, would they let me do MEng?

ReputationRep:
    I think I might get ACD of A2, A in Mathematics, C in Physics and D in Chemistry. Could there still be a chance they will accept me? (course details in sig)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    You might be pleasantly surprised at your results... what makes you think you'll get those grades and nothing higher?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazza558)
    You might be pleasantly surprised at your results... what makes you think you'll get those grades and nothing higher?
    Well best case senario would be ABC and worst would be BCD. I just have a feeling that it will go that way. I Don't think I would make the grades for Royal Holloway...

ReputationRep:
    ABC would probably be fine, maybe BBC too.

But it really depends on how highly-demanded your course is.

ReputationRep:
    How about if you're applying through UCAS adjustment? The Economics course requires BBB but would BBC be enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazza558)
    Some universities refuse to let in anyone with lower than the requirements, whilst others are very lenient and will let people in with 2 grades lower than required, purely based on their personal statement.

Obviously it's based on the demand for different courses, but how does Sheffield behave in general terms with regard to this?
    i know someone that got into sheffield for geography last year with ABC, i think they needed ABB/AAB. hope that makes you feel a bit better :p: not long till we find out now anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LdnShmoo)
    i know someone that got into sheffield for geography last year with ABC, i think they needed ABB/AAB. hope that makes you feel a bit better :p: not long till we find out now anyway!
    I know someone that got ABB for Geog and got rejected! This is why its difficult to advise etc because obviously alot of it differs from application to application.

ReputationRep:
    i'm positive i've got AAB in my A levels but my offer for Law (with study abroad) was AAA - do you think there's any chance i'll still make the course? or do you think they're likely to turn me away / maybe offer me straight law only? i can't sleep at nights thinking about results day, i wake up in a sweat unable to get back to sleep. and all because of one stupid exam, sigh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loulapops)
    i'm positive i've got AAB in my A levels but my offer for Law (with study abroad) was AAA - do you think there's any chance i'll still make the course? or do you think they're likely to turn me away / maybe offer me straight law only? i can't sleep at nights thinking about results day, i wake up in a sweat unable to get back to sleep. and all because of one stupid exam, sigh
    Law is generally a very over subscribed course so I'd suggest it'd be unlikely you'd get in if you missed the grades, although obv its hard to predict the outcome in individual cases. Did you do general studies by any chance, as they also accept that.

ReputationRep:
    I know Sheff is strong in politics but does anybody have any experience or know of people getting in if they've missed their grades? It sounds stupid but a horrid flu really messed me up when writing essays so I think I've probably missed my AAB and got ABB.

To make things worse, my firm (York) said they don't usually accept people who've missed the grades and Sheffield is only my insurance. On the up side, I don't do general studies and did get an offer 5 days after sending my application in which means they might have liked my application. This is awful, if I could do it again, I would make Sheffield my firm; I only choose York because of their study abroad prog anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misternite)
    I know Sheff is strong in politics but does anybody have any experience or know of people getting in if they've missed their grades? It sounds stupid but a horrid flu really messed me up when writing essays so I think I've probably missed my AAB and got ABB.

To make things worse, my firm (York) said they don't usually accept people who've missed the grades and Sheffield is only my insurance. On the up side, I don't do general studies and did get an offer 5 days after sending my application in which means they might have liked my application. This is awful, if I could do it again, I would make Sheffield my firm; I only choose York because of their study abroad prog anyway.
    You never know what will happen so don't be too pessimistic. But as far as I know Politics is heavily subscribed and I believe they turned people away last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    You never know what will happen so don't be too pessimistic. But as far as I know Politics is heavily subscribed and I believe they turned people away last year.
    Oh damn. I'm still going to go to Sheff, it'll just be a year late :o:

ReputationRep:
    Oh damn. I'm still going to go to Sheff, it'll just be a year late :o:
    If the worst comes to worse (and I doubt it will) you can always ask them to offer you an alternative course.

ReputationRep:
    Is Mathematics and Economics a popular course? They want BBB.. they you think they would they reject me if I dropped a grade in lets say Music to a C?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la la la liane...)
    Is Mathematics and Economics a popular course? They want BBB.. they you think they would they reject me if I dropped a grade in lets say Music to a C?
    Mathmatics offered places to people who dropped a grade or two last year as far as I know, not sure about the economics side though.

ReputationRep:
    hello, i know people must be fed up of these kind of questions but could someone take a guess on if they would be lenient on korean studies?
    considering the course isn't that popular at all.

thank you (:

ReputationRep:

Don't know if this has any relevance but some of my classmates applied to do your course and they got offered ABB.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 12, 2009
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.