Turn on thread page Beta

elder scrolls: oblivion goty edition watch

(Original post by Consultant)

Incidentally, on the mention of another game, does anybody have any PC/Mac/PS3/PS2 suggestions for games that are like Oblivion and are not MMORPGs?
    It's still hack & slash...

But the previous Elder Scrolls game; Morrowind. It's obviously very similar to Oblivion, but completely different story line etc.

Maybe give that a try, pretty cheap to buy the GOTY version for PC or original Xbox.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Jabbamuffin)

But the previous Elder Scrolls game; Morrowind. It's obviously very similar to Oblivion, but completely different story line etc.

Maybe give that a try, pretty cheap to buy the GOTY version for PC or original Xbox.
    Oops, sorry. Have already "beaten" Morrowind a few times, did look a bit further back in the series but nothing really appealed and didn't want a let-down after Morrowind and Oblivion.

Oops, sorry. Have already "beaten" Morrowind a few times, did look a bit further back in the series but nothing really appealed and didn't want a let-down after Morrowind and Oblivion.
    How about the Fallout series?

Although it's guns, not swords.

ReputationRep:

I'm pretty sure Gimili is the son of Glóin.

(Original post by Hylean)
    I'm pretty sure Gimili is the son of Glóin.
    Duly noted.

ReputationRep:
    I never did understand how the Assassins' Guild in Morrowind was able to remain legal, though I'm just blabbering now.
    The Morag Tong remain legal because they're sanctioned by the Empire and only take legally-approved execution contracts.

Incidentally, on the mention of another game, does anybody have any PC/Mac/PS3/PS2 suggestions for games that are like Oblivion and are not MMORPGs? I'm looking for something quite similar, or perhaps with more of a strategic twist, ideally and less "hack and slash".

Its been a long time but I got on really, really well with the original Baldur's Gate series and Neverwinter Nights was a decent play too.
    Hehe, someone who clearly has excellent taste in games. Morrowind, Oblivion, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights...

Mass Effect is a fantastic RPG, and while they can be a little more hack 'n' slash, Jade Empire and Knights of the Old Republic are bloody good as well (can anyone tell that I'm a wee bit of a Bioware fanatic? :angel:). Fallout 3 was Bethesda's next offering after Oblivion and is another gem (and I usually don't like games filled with mutants and stuff :p:)
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    How about the Fallout series?

Although it's guns, not swords.
    Ah, I should have been a little more detailed on what I have played! I've played and loved all of the Fallout games, from Fallout 3 on the PS3 which I'm still fiddling with, to Fallout Tactics - amazing games and I definitely don't mind the post-apocalyptic spin on the RPG genre - actually I'm a bit of a sci-fi nut.

(Original post by Dalimyr)
    The Morag Tong remain legal because they're sanctioned by the Empire and only take legally-approved execution contracts.

Hehe, someone who clearly has excellent taste in games. Morrowind, Oblivion, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights...

Mass Effect is a fantastic RPG, and while they can be a little more hack 'n' slash, Jade Empire and Knights of the Old Republic are bloody good as well (can anyone tell that I'm a wee bit of a Bioware fanatic? :angel:). Fallout 3 was Bethesda's next offering after Oblivion and is another gem (and I usually don't like games filled with mutants and stuff :p:)
    Mass Effect and Jade Empire have been added to my list of games to seek out now, thanks! Knights of the Old Republic is another I've "clocked" as we used to say, and the sequel though I didn't feel it was as good as the original. I suppose you've already tried the Icewind Dale series then - another excellent Bioware product I think. Actually any games that draw on the Forgotten Realms mythology will be at the top of my list.

Other games I've played are the Final Fantasy series, all of them actually, even the Tactics titles (which were my joint favourite with VIII) and I've loved those too. Have been meaning to dig out Star Ocean and Suikoden, both of which I bought the series of but haven't managed to start yet. :o:

ReputationRep:
    I haven't played Icewind Dale, actually...got a demo of it with Baldur's Gate II when I first bought it (I got BG2 on its own, then a few years later got the compilation of BG, TotSC, BG2 and ToB), but haven't played the demo or bought Icewind Dale.

KOTOR2 wasn't by Bioware, but Obsidian Entertainment, who also developed Neverwinter Nights 2 (which I own but have never played :ninja:). I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it's not as good as the original, but I rate Bioware extremely highly; the Baldur's Gate stuff should, in my opinion, be exclusively done by them because they actually know HOW to do it (whereas when Snowblind Studios got a shot at it with Dark Alliance, they ended up just making a crappy 3D Diablo clone with some vague references to D&D and Baldur's Gate). Bioware are currently working on a new RPG called Dragon Age: Origins, supposedly due for release in November, and while I've only seen screenshots from early development, it's already calling out to me

ReputationRep:
    So glad i brought the goty edition!!! I missed a whole days of lectures because of this game, but in that time i got the knights of the nine quest done (crusader armor isn't as good as i thought it would be) so its all good

I think i left my draedic armor back at the knights of nine tomb.. hmm

oh yeah, cliff racers! when i was installing oblivion, i was thinking, "ah jeez might have to deal with a cliff racer after 3 seconds of movement in the wilderness". Thank god that wasn't the case!!!

ReputationRep:
    *cough* If you do the quests at an early point, the relics are the ONLY levelled quest rewards in the entire game that can be upgraded to better versions as you increase in level without the use of mods.
    At its highest level, the armour is as good as Glass/Daedric, and (while they're more useful at lower levels) it has all those enchantments that make it even better.

Armour rating of 75, Fortify Restoration 33, Fortify Health 27, Resist Normal Weapons 15%, Resist Disease 50%, Fortify Destruction 9, Fortify Personality 25, Reflect Spell 18%...if you're wearing the whole lot you get Holy Aura (an extra Shield 5%, boosting your armour rating to 80, just short of the 85 maximum), the boots give you the Woodland Grace ability meaning that you won't be attacked by things like wolves, bears and lions...and you get a crapload of lesser powers on top of all that. What the hell were you expecting? :s:

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.