Video of killing of pigs in Egypt-Graphic Watch

Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Pigs are *very* intelligent - I work with them, and when trying to move a pig from one field to another, I have seen them trot down the path, right up to the first gate and through it. When we wanted to get her into her other quarters, she got halfway there, and decided to run around a grassy sheep/goat field for fun, because she decided that was nicer. She knew full well that we couldn't force her in, and it was only when she got bored of the game that she went in.

They also recognise farm workers, and will come to call when people they know call their names, but not when a random member of the public does.

Apparently, they are the 4th most intelligent animal in the world - smarter than dogs anyway.

PS in response to the thing about squealing, (whilst I haven't watched the video and don't intend to) pigs will squeal at anything and everything - food, excitement, greetings, being picked up (piglets), playing etc. etc. However, it is usually easy enough to tell a distressed squeal from a happy squeal.
Meagz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=916943
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Meagz)
Oh how delightfully witty!
:awesome:
cowsgoquack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
Pigs are *very* intelligent - I work with them, and when trying to move a pig from one field to another, I have seen them trot down the path, right up to the first gate and through it. When we wanted to get her into her other quarters, she got halfway there, and decided to run around a grassy sheep/goat field for fun, because she decided that was nicer. She knew full well that we couldn't force her in, and it was only when she got bored of the game that she went in.

They also recognise farm workers, and will come to call when people they know call their names, but not when a random member of the public does.
I could do that and nobody ever called me very intelligent
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cowsgoquack)
I could do that and nobody ever called me very intelligent
Ah, but would you be able to defer food (especially when you are animal who knows no bounds to its appetite - they cannot feel full) as the pig in my example was doing? It takes an awfully long time to a teach a dog not to take offered food, but this pig did it of her own accord.
cowsgoquack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Origami Bullets)
Ah, but would you be able to defer food (especially when you are animal who knows no bounds to its appetite - they cannot feel full) as the pig in my example was doing? It takes an awfully long time to a teach a dog not to take offered food, but this pig did it of her own accord.
Wait... are you calling me a greedy fatty fat fat?
bhap08
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That man in the back of the truck hitting the pig is a right *******. Someone should cave his children's faces in, see if he likes it.
RollerBall
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bhap08)
That man in the back of the truck hitting the pig is a right *******. Someone should cave his children's faces in, see if he likes it.
You gave birth to pigs?
bhap08
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by RollerBall)
You gave birth to pigs?

I'm just saying that if he deems it acceptable to smash a pigs face in, then someone should do it to him/his family and see if he still thinks that it is an OK thing to do.
RollerBall
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm just saying that if he deems it acceptable to smash a pigs face in, then someone should do it to him/his family and see if he still thinks that it is an OK thing to do.
So you think if we slaughter animals for food, we're all good to slaughter the abatoir workers children and then feed them to pigs?

I see, I like your logic good sir.
bhap08
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So you think if we slaughter animals for food, we're all good to slaughter the abatoir workers children and then feed them to pigs?

I see, I like your logic good sir.

The difference is, that these pigs are not being slaughtered for food. The other difference is that abattoirs in civilised countries do not generally tend to kill the animals in such a barbaric manner with a hammer.
RollerBall
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The difference is, that these pigs are not being slaughtered for food. The other difference is that abattoirs in civilised countries do not generally tend to kill the animals in such a barbaric manner with a hammer.
They're being slaughtered for what they "beleive" is to prevent the spread of infection.

So I'm sorry to say, but if you work at an abbatoir and your son gets a contagious disease, I'm afraid we're going to have to kill him.

And not everyone lives in a "civilised" country. You can't expect every country, especialy LEDCs to foot the bill for expensive slaughter methods just to fit with other MEDCs niave ideals.
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cowsgoquack)
Wait... are you calling me a greedy fatty fat fat?
Yes, clearly :rolleyes:
bhap08
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They're being slaughtered for what they "beleive" is to prevent the spread of infection.

So I'm sorry to say, but if you work at an abbatoir and your son gets a contagious disease, I'm afraid we're going to have to kill him.

And not everyone lives in a "civilised" country. You can't expect every country, especialy LEDCs to foot the bill for expensive slaughter methods just to fit with other MEDCs niave ideals.
Clearly they are idiots. Those pigs pose no risk of spreading swine flu.

Being poor is no excuse for such a level of brutality. I'm sure it can't be that difficult to come up with a cost effective way of humanely killing these poor animals. Not that they should be being killed in the first place.
RollerBall
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Being poor is no excuse for such a level of brutality. I'm sure it can't be that difficult to come up with a cost effective way of humanely killing these poor animals. Not that they should be being killed in the first place.
Yes, everyone religious/from an LEDC is an idiot. /sarcasm

If it's not very hard, why don't you come up with a cost effective way of humanly killing animals in all LEDCs then get it rolled out by last thursday. How does that sound?
Cover Drive
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago

I agree. India is a relatively poor country but they would never do kill any animal like this. Killing them when it is not necessary is one thing (swine flu is spread from human to human) but then in this manner.

I couldn't sleep at night if I knew I had kicked these animals down like this, poured chemicals on them e.t.c. I suppose it is 2 in one for the egyptian govt and majority muslims, crack down on the income of coptic christians, kill pigs barbarically as it is regarded a dirty animal in Islam.

Ironically, these same people will probably protest against the jews, the west over one thing or another.
CHEM1STRY
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Who CARES.
rosielovesmitchell
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
this sort of relates to the "Why are people hating on Islam" thread, am i right?
CHEM1STRY
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They still die though. They don't exactly want to die so why does it matter how they die?
bhap08
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Cover Drive)
I agree. India is a relatively poor country but they would never do kill any animal like this. Killing them when it is not necessary is one thing (swine flu is spread from human to human) but then in this manner.

I couldn't sleep at night if I knew I had kicked these animals down like this, poured chemicals on them e.t.c. I suppose it is 2 in one for the egyptian govt and majority muslims, crack down on the income of coptic christians, kill pigs barbarically as it is regarded a dirty animal in Islam.

Ironically, these same people will probably protest against the jews, the west over one thing or another.

Finally, Someone who agrees with me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (125)
39.06%
No - but I will (17)
5.31%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.25%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (158)
49.38%

Watched Threads