Hip-Hop Albums Iller Than Illmatic? Watch

bramz19
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Sultanp)
Soulja Boy
I sincerely hope you were being sarcastic here, otherwise... well... you know.
bramz19
Rep:
?
(Original post by trachimbrod)
Way true. Illmatic is the Barack Obama of music. It's fresh and new, and promises so much, but has yet to deliver anything good in my eyes. Despite this loads of people love it.

Apart from the obvious - Madvillainy etc., I'd go with Dalek's Abandoned Language. Immense.
I disagree, but respect you for the way you phrase your argument. If only everyone was as eloquent as you.
mad m05
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
maybe just maybe ready to die. but probably not
Sultanp
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bramz19)
I sincerely hope you were being sarcastic here, otherwise... well... you know.
He is the future. Embrace him.
bramz19
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sultanp)
He is the future. Embrace him.
I'd really rather not.
Sultanp
Report 9 years ago
I'd really rather not.
Soulja Boy cannot be stopped. He is an irresistible force. The one sent to saves us from the sins of Hip Hop. He is our saviour.
hdrand3
Report 9 years ago
You should check out this guy Trigger the Soldier. I like this track of his
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLhvypIZQYg
let me know what you think
funkumf
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by G550NDH)
Lifestyle ov the poor and dangerous (BIG L)
The chronic, 2001 (Dr dre)
Dont believe the hype ( public enemy)
Don killumanti (tupac)
Raising Hell ( RUN DMC)
Ready to die (B.I.G)
Eric B. & Rakim -
Paid in Full
Move this post to the 'What the feck are you smoking?' thread.
funkumf
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This isn't about Nas, it's about Illmatic... and the only reason he is overrated is because of Illmatic. Because his debut is so legendary, his other work is constantly being compared to it. And because none of his other stuff comes near it (although It Was Written, God's Son, Stillmatic and Untitled are pretty good), people think he isn't a good rapper. Well, he is far better than most, so generic comments like "nas is wayyyy overrated" fall a little flat.
No.

The trouble with Nas is that he can continue to drop clearly average albums right up until the day he retires and due to the fact he was responsible for Illmatic, it is unlikely any self respecting fan of hip hop would remove him from their list of top five rappers.

His last few albums have been disappointing and he has made one truly abhorrent album along with a string of average outings yet he will always have ’the Illmatic factor’ ie- lauded for making a classic debut album irregardless of consistancy in terms of quality since.

His singles are generally of the highest quality, Nas Is Like, Got Urself A Gun, Theifs Theme etc but they more often than not lead to disappointing albums.

As for playing the socially conscious card and trying to stay relevant in 2009, he's failed miserably.
lm_wfc
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
see signature.

edit: i dont have one.
but blu and exile - below the heavens
Gallium
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Chamillionaire- mixtape messiah 4
slaughterhosue-slaughterhouse
chamillionaire- mixtape messiah 4
guppygould
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hello Everyone.

I've been listening to hip-hop for a number of years now and I still have not listened to an album which beats Nas' debut 'Illmatic'. Don't get me wrong, some come damn close, but nothing quite pips it. I was wondering whether anyone could recommend any other hip-hop albums which could equal, or even top, Illmatic.

Thanks for your replies in advance.
Paul's Boutique. It's my favourite album of all time. Most people laugh it off without giving it a listen but it's absolutely sublime.
nastynas
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
non...
illmatic is THE best hip-hop album ever....PERIOD
Thaws
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by trachimbrod)
Way true. Illmatic is the Barack Obama of music. It's fresh and new, and promises so much, but has yet to deliver anything good in my eyes. Despite this loads of people love it.
This and...

(Original post by funkumf)
No.

The trouble with Nas is that he can continue to drop clearly average albums right up until the day he retires and due to the fact he was responsible for Illmatic, it is unlikely any self respecting fan of hip hop would remove him from their list of top five rappers.

His last few albums have been disappointing and he has made one truly abhorrent album along with a string of average outings yet he will always have ’the Illmatic factor’ ie- lauded for making a classic debut album irregardless of consistancy in terms of quality since.

His singles are generally of the highest quality, Nas Is Like, Got Urself A Gun, Theifs Theme etc but they more often than not lead to disappointing albums.

As for playing the socially conscious card and trying to stay relevant in 2009, he's failed miserably.
Sort of this.

As for the question:

Low End Theory - A Tribe Called Quest
Midnight Marauders - A Tribe Called Quest
Ready to Die - Biggie
3 Feet High & Rising - De La Soul
Endtroducing... -DJ Shadow
36 Chambers - Wu-Tang Clan
Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys
Paid in Full - Eric B. & Rakim
Reasonable Doubt - Jay-Z
Dr. Octagonecologyst - Dr. Octagon

I'm probably forgetting one or two. Illmatic is a great album but is ridiculously overrated, much like Nas himself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (219)
39.46%
No - but I will (38)
6.85%
No - I don't want to (37)
6.67%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (261)
47.03%

Watched Threads