Working during vacations at Oxford? Watch

Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by scaffy)
Can I just reiterate some things that have been said:
I've had no reply to this. I think if anything it sounds like it's a Jesus specific rule, if even that - tutors & students are, as far as I know, unaware of it. It'd be good if you do have a link/reference if you could give a link/pointer to it.

and also Huw Davies who's actually been pretty nice and got a proper answer on the subject:
Oh good grief, I didn't really think that a response was necessary after Huw got one from his Sr. Tutor. Jesus claim that it is a uni wide rule, therefore I assumed that to be the case. Do you honestly expect people to reply to everything you said on an internet forum, even if someone else has adequately answered it?

They do all seem very determined to gallantly defend Bekaboo against *******ly old me, and ignore anything that agrees with me at all cost...
Actually if you re-read the thread I'll think you'll find that people are taking issue with your idea that even if it's a rule, if it's usually not enforced then there's no point in knowing about it and that I'm somehow the big bad wolf for mentioning it, and thinking that it's a good idea to know about all rules, even if it's only so you can work out how to break them without being caught. Like the 42 night rule - which I've known people to be forced to take a year out because of. But it's ok, right, because very few people ever have it applied so it's best not to tell the freshers in case they get scared?

As far as I can see, nobody really cares that much whether I'm right or wrong - and as Huw has demonstrated, it looks like my own college misguided me, or perhaps at some juncture in the past it was a university rule that was revoked, and the literature has just never been updated - they just take issue with you having a go at me for uh being honest.
scaffy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No, no, it's just useful and interesting to know - I know when I first saw you saying it in the past that it made think woops! and a little nervy, and I had no idea where it came from, but took your word for it. The whole point of this place is to question stuff a bit, right?. I'm gald it's all cleared up .

[I'm not trying to be *****y/*******y/whatever (I don't know whether I do look like that, but it's not intentional), I just wanted to clear something up, for myself, and for anyone else if they cared. Obv. Huw's done that much better than me. Of course I didn't like it when people said I had no right to question things.]
sophisticated
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bekaboo)
Oh good grief, I didn't really think that a response was necessary after Huw got one from his Sr. Tutor. Jesus claim that it is a uni wide rule, therefore I assumed that to be the case. Do you honestly expect people to reply to everything you said on an internet forum, even if someone else has adequately answered it?

Actually if you re-read the thread I'll think you'll find that people are taking issue with your idea that even if it's a rule, if it's usually not enforced then there's no point in knowing about it and that I'm somehow the big bad wolf for mentioning it, and thinking that it's a good idea to know about all rules, even if it's only so you can work out how to break them without being caught. Like the 42 night rule - which I've known people to be forced to take a year out because of. But it's ok, right, because very few people ever have it applied so it's best not to tell the freshers in case they get scared?

As far as I can see, nobody really cares that much whether I'm right or wrong - and as Huw has demonstrated, it looks like my own college misguided me, or perhaps at some juncture in the past it was a university rule that was revoked, and the literature has just never been updated - they just take issue with you having a go at me for uh being honest.
Out of interest, whats the 42 night rule???
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you want some more 'proper answers' i.e. from one specific college then our Info & Regs include (with bolding and underlining theirs!):

Undergraduates are required to obtain written permission from their subject tutors before taking on any major extracurricular commitment that might detract from their academic work...

<snip>

All Oxford degrees have residence requirements, and degrees cannot be awarded unless the College certificates that that the required number of Terms have been kept as a member of College. In order for a particular Term to count as a Term of residence for undergraduates, no fewer than 42 nights of the eight-week Term must be spent in College.
It also refers to the College Contract that you have to sign, which isn't online.
I'm pretty certain mine explicitly referred to permission for paid employment but it was a long time ago...
Cirsium
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sophisticated)
Out of interest, whats the 42 night rule???
In order to get a degree you have to:
a) pass the exams
b) spend at least 42 nights... technically I think in college, but really in the university.

Basically it's a virtually-never-used rule that says that if you spend less than 6 out of the 8 weeks in every term in Oxford then the University retains the right to a) not give you your degree or b) not let you sit finals. As far as I can see it's only ever used when a tutor thinks that someone has only spent half of their time in Oxford and therefore they don't want them to take finals and fail since it will reflect badly on them. I've never known of anyone who would have otherwise got a first / passed their DPhil and has then been pulled up on the rule.
pf1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
b) spend at least 42 nights... technically I think in college, but really in the university.
I think it's "within six miles of Carfax" or something silly like that.
Cirsium
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That's the one - I knew there was something!
sophisticated
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In order to get a degree you have to:
a) pass the exams

Basically it's a virtually-never-used rule that says that if you spend less than 6 out of the 8 weeks in every term in Oxford then the University retains the right to a) not give you your degree or b) not let you sit finals. As far as I can see it's only ever used when a tutor thinks that someone has only spent half of their time in Oxford and therefore they don't want them to take finals and fail since it will reflect badly on them. I've never known of anyone who would have otherwise got a first / passed their DPhil and has then been pulled up on the rule.
Interesting, thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.76%
No - but I will (98)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.91%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (607)
47.65%

Watched Threads