Do asians all stick together at uni? Watch

Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
some of the asian may just come here for uni, so it would be easier to merge with their own people, but i guess sometimes there is no common language, they porabably never watched pirson break (i haven;t) or like football (i don't)
Mask Of Sanity
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Turbanator)
I aint really had a 'white' friend since i left high school unfortunatly.
Your username reminds me of Harbhajan Singh. :laugh:
Ijustdon'treallyknow
Badges: 9
Report 9 years ago
I've heard this before, especially at Uni.

I'm still in high school, and I know it happens, but I don't just stick with my own lot. I like to mix!
CitizenKane
Report 9 years ago
Having been at an ethnically diverse secondary school, id say that in many cases groups do tend to stick together for some reason. I mainly think its because you have more in common with people from similar backgrounds...
kinglrb
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've moved around the U.K quite a bit so I've been to areas where there is loads of different ethnic groups and I've lived in areas mainly populated by caucasians. From experience I would say in a situation where no one knows anyone the ethnic groups are more likely to form their own groups. I don't know I guess it feels less intimaditing talking to someone a bit similar to yourself. I personally talk to anyone I feel I can get along with, I've never thought oh wow he isn't white so I'll talk to him.

It's not impossible to kind of force yourself into their tight group. Just have to be confident and join in really.

I personally wouldn't get bummed about it, there are thousands of other people that you can chat with and hang around with.
missyq
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 4G_dollars)
It is true. When I started I hung around with Asian, I could not relate to them at all; I just nod my head in agreement.
If white people did that, they would be serious trouble. I am shocked half the stuff these asian come out with; if a white person said it would be racist. I dont bother with them now.
They call me white boy, and they take the mick. I think it is pathetic.
Totally agree with that! Some think they can make 'funny' comments about other races when it would be seen as totally unacceptable to others, or unacceptable in general for that matter!
Failed123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
Have you actually tried to get to know them? But wow only 3 people, well I wouldn't be surprised if there was only 3 people the same race as me. Obviously it's not a big deal but it still stands out. However you're right, Integration is good.
Well, I'm not black myself, but yes I have got to know them. Which is when I realised how scummy they were.
Turbanator
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
Your username reminds me of Harbhajan Singh. :laugh:
i'll take that as a compliment
Tombola
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In my year the asians make the majority.The fil all the left column and half the middle column. There is more of them.
It is not to do with criteria, they don't make an effort. Some of them have this autmomatic hatred and stereotype. They don't like it when an asian usually hang around with whites.
Are these international students?
Some international chinese students at one of my friend's accommodation didn't bother making an effort, and to be honest I can sort of understand why, there's a freaking huge communication barrier. Sometimes it may feel pointless attempting to bridge that gap, especially if it's easier to fall back on people who already share similar traits like language.

Note: My friend is a british born chinese.
OhNO!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In manchester most definitely, it's more apparent with international student. British Asians TEND to still stick together, but Asian internationals definitely stick together.
4G_dollars
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by missyq)
Totally agree with that! Some think they can make 'funny' comments about other races when it would be seen as totally unacceptable to others, or unacceptable in general for that matter!
They call me "gorah", as if it is something bad. Gorah means white for those who do not understand.

It is unacceptable.
They says pakis themselves, if someone other than the asian race said it, it would be "unacceptable". i think it is odd, and pathetic,. I don't mind who say "paki" depending on the tone and circumstance. Other than that it is just a word.
Maxxiv
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sure they do - Their all covered in Hoi-Sin sauce

Sticky Asians
4G_dollars
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tombola)
Are these international students?
Some international chinese students at one of my friend's accommodation didn't bother making an effort, and to be honest I can sort of understand why, there's a freaking huge communication barrier. Sometimes it may feel pointless attempting to bridge that gap, especially if it's easier to fall back on people who already share similar traits like language.

Note: My friend is a british born chinese.
No chinesse, We don't have chinesse in my year so I would not know. Indians, Pakistannis, Begalis south asians.

It is true. They speak english; they dont bother to intergrate.
xps.systems
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In my year the asians make the majority.The fil all the left column and half the middle column. There is more of them.
It is not to do with criteria, they don't make an effort. Some of them have this autmomatic hatred and stereotype. They don't like it when an asian usually hang around with whites.
btw a w*ki is the flip side of a c*conut. A bit similar to a w*gger.

And yo bruv/blud, u muz b knowin dat de aznz stik 2geva coz dey be arrangin der family ties innit - can't be goin agains di auntijis man - dey are safe as. Bringin a g*ra/i home mite b messin wiv the pwoject yeh? U get me?

As one 'AZN' I met claimed (NOT representative of the continent though (surely!): u gota keep da bludz pure bhench*d, rememba da fyamily honor, rememba partition, why d f*ck do yuz wana play wiv g*ra/is wen u be knowin dat oil n water don't be mixable udderwaas u betta not be diggin ur heels inta 'p*ki business'.

What do you think - encountered the same thing?
2009er
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
They call me "gorah", as if it is something bad. Gorah means white for those who do not understand.

It is unacceptable.
They says pakis themselves, if someone other than the asian race said it, it would be "unacceptable". i think it is odd, and pathetic,. I don't mind who say "paki" depending on the tone and circumstance. Other than that it is just a word.
this is the attitude i wish more people would have. It is only racist if its ment to offend surely, then it isnt acceptable. Black person at school is often nicknamed choco whereas my other mate is called pastey. Ones skin looks more like paste than the other's does chocolate...
kinglrb
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tombola)
I do treat everybody equally...

However I'm closer to asian friends because they understand a part of me that caucasian friends may not understand. People think that asian friends tend to stick around them only, but what many people seem to forget that even within asian groups there are lots of difference.

For example. I'm a british born chinese.
That doesn't mean I'll get on better with all asians, especially international chinese students. We don't have anything in common, I relate more to my british friends than I do with them.

See how this works?

A more reasonable explanation of why we engage in this behaviour. We're the ethnic minority, we're constantly surrounded by caucasian friends. During college I knew about 2-3 other chinese people in a year of 100+ students. When I got to college, this circle of friendship obviously expanded. It's just natural to seek out those who are similar to you imo.
Yeah I kind of agree with you on this one. Good stuff.

I think with that said, anyone from a ethnic minority would want to make some friends with people of some what similar culture and tradition. Even though some people might be british pakistani, british chinese and so on, there is always somewhat of a difference between them and every other pure british person, not to say that they can't get along or be friends with them. It's just easier to make friends with someone who has lived with a similar culture and tradition, it's easier to make conversations with them and such. Of course though, there is nothing that denies a person from being part of more than friendship circle and it's best to be one the segments that are part of all friendship circles
missyq
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

It is unacceptable.
I know what gorah means lol. I'm asian myself and I've heard some asians use the word paki too. I'm like wtf? I guess sometimes it's a bit of banter among themselves but but i know white people wouldn't get away with it so how does it make it any different.

Btw are they your friends?
4G_dollars
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by xps.systems)
btw a w*ki is the flip side of a c*conut. A bit similar to a w*gger.

And yo bruv/blud, u muz b knowin dat de aznz stik 2geva coz dey be arrangin der family ties innit - can't be goin agains di auntijis man - dey are safe as. Bringin a g*ra/i home mite b messin wiv the pwoject yeh? U get me?

As one 'AZN' I met claimed (NOT representative of the continent though (surely!): u gota keep da bludz pure bhench*d, rememba da fyamily honor, rememba partition, why d f*ck do yuz wana play wiv g*ra/is wen u be knowin dat oil n water don't be mixable udderwaas u betta not be diggin ur heels inta 'p*ki business'.

What do you think - encountered the same thing?
haha I encountered the same thing, what you typed, they said that to me. It was a pathetic; I laughed.
I hate they do worser **** than I do, they have the audacitiy to say all that to me.
They say I am committing a sin blah blah blah
They do seesha and go tiger tiger. I go clubbing but the clubs are "white" they have a go at me. I am thinking wtf?!
Advanced Subsidiary
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Failed123)
Well, I'm not black myself, but yes I have got to know them. Which is when I realised how scummy they were.
lol yep I understand where you're coming from. I went to an all boys school. Mostly a mixture of races but everyone was just in their own racial circle except from the white kids - and those are the ones who have inevitably become my best friends. I don't regret it either, they're awesome.
sinesquared.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Im asian and i dont hang out with asians...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (477)
38.19%
No - but I will (95)
7.61%
No - I don't want to (87)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (590)
47.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise