Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think certain areas in London have been ruined and transformed into ghettos? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    It's a boarded up pub with some bill posters and graffiti on it...

Indeed, it's a perfectly decent building (I've Flickr-ed it) - and all it needs is a lick of paint and an occupant.

Or is it the woman in the Middle Eastern dress that you object to?
    What I object to is its derelict state. The area around it looks terrible too. That's just one photo out of many pictures of that dump.

How do you know she's not a nun? :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Hold on a second.

When was this mythical decade when there were no slums in London? I'm sure pretty much all of these places were worse in the 30's.

I can't talk precisely for London but Toxteth in Liverpool is meant to be one of the most run down areas in Europe so I'm at liberty to speak about that. I can tell you for a fact that it was much worse when my Grandad grew up there than it is now.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think so, there are some nicer bits and some rougher bits - but that's the same as any other town or city anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    I suggest some people look up the dictionary definition of 'ghetto'. It's not purely a reference to an area with a high crime rate.

ReputationRep:
    well roehampton in sw london where i lived last year ,used to be really posh ,but now it's just a big council estate- i loved living in the ghetto..i miss it!1

ReputationRep:
    South London is a dump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VXpXfbqwlw

Even the underground has neglected it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lost_forever)
    Southall
    I hate that place.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    All good in west London.

ReputationRep:
    The vast majority of areas in London will go through cycles. The 'ghettos' will go through gentrification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta_Aitch)
    Well, West London hasn't turned into the ghettos, it's turned into friggin Asia. :sigh: and there are some areas that are the total popposite of 'ghetto'. But yeah, I would say that there were certain areas I'd be wary of walking through alone -- but I think that can be said for most major cities :dontknow:
    Lol, you wouldn't be thinking of Southall now, would you? :p:

(Original post by Moroseblight)
    Lol, you wouldn't be thinking of Southall now, would you?
    Haha, that infamous, hey? Course I was. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    Well the Queens' Crescent "ghetto" that I was renting on last year is apparently up there with Harlesden and Kingsbury for worst places to live in NW London. I can say that I had no trouble at all. Places like this have probably improved in the last fifty years, let alone worsened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta_Aitch)
    Haha, that infamous, hey? Course I was. :giggle:
    Utterly infamous Even Ealing council celebrates it as 'Little India' o_o

ReputationRep:
    Southall is badboy. Where else are you gonna get cheap food and eyebrow threading?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenheroes)
    Southall is badboy. Where else are you gonna get cheap food and eyebrow threading?

True that, but I'd rather do without the perpetual traffic and other general unpleasantries. Every time I venture there, I find some weird stalker-type people who pester me >.>

ReputationRep:
    If anyone has seen "The Wire", then you know what a real ghetto with serious poverty is like.

Fortunately I dont think London has any place like that. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.

I don't know why the ghetto and grime culture gets glorified. Its ******* vile.

ReputationRep:
    They were turned into ghettoes the moment idiotic developers in the 50's and 60's thought it'd be an amazing idea to build the ugly monstrosities that are concrete tower blocks.

London's always had rough areas even back in the early 19th century, it's just their relative location shifts with time and investment. You'll never have a middle class utopia in London or any city for that matter, you always end up with areas lacking in investment which inevitably become magnets for crime and poverty.

So asking whether certain areas have become ruined or transformed into ghettos is a bit of a strange question in the context that you are asking about it as though it's something new, it's been happening for the past 200 years probably longer. That we have youths (chavs) totting about with knives beating the crud out of people is nothing new no matter how much the media try to over hype it, they were around in the Victorian days too and were referred to as Scuttlers. Basically gangs of feral youths who used to beat each other and others up for the sheer hell of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moroseblight)
    True that, but I'd rather do without the perpetual traffic and other general unpleasantries. Every time I venture there, I find some weird stalker-type people who pester me >.>
    Well I get the train in from paddington, and no one ever talks to me. I probably have that "don't talk to me" look about me True say living on the other side of london I don't go there a lot but Sagoo & Takhar (Roxy restaurant) is the sex. The actual, actual sex. It's pretty much the only thing I go to Southall for. That and £2 eyebrow threading across the road. Bahaha.

ReputationRep:
    Tower Hamlets is not as bad as people make it out to be. Yes there are some really **** parts there, but then that's the same with everywhere else in London.
    I've lived there my whole life and have yet to be shot, stabbed, raped, mugged etcetc
    I only know 2 people who've been mugged who live around the same area.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.