Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo Con)
    Yesterday I was on the motorway minding my own business and suddenly I saw the blue lights flashing in my mirror. I was in the 2nd lane doing around 85mph and I **** myself, but the guy in the 3rd lane was the one he was after and he pulled over later on as I gradually reduced my speed.

I find this unfair because loads of people go over 70mph on the motorway, was it just bad luck this guy got caught? :mad: I thought they only stopped people going really quick?

Maybe he was stopped for another reason because alot of people were going over 70mph at the time. :rolleyes:

Are there any mobile/fixed cameras on the motorway? The only time I really follow it is when you have your average speed measured over a certain distance like 50mph limit for several miles. Those things are deadly!

I normally never go really fast, but after seeing those flashes, I might stay bang on 70mph.

whether its really quick or 1mph over the speed limit its breaking the law so the police can stop you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    are you condoning speeding? if so, i have nothing to say to you.
    Another person who can't see the difference between a speed limit and a safe speed... sigh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WiBurn)
    It seems like you are going by the letter of the law simply because it's the law. You don't seem to be thinking at all beyond that point. If the law was 90MPH you wouldn't have an issue with it.
    Some of them would because there cars would be within 10mph of the top speed drinking fuel and revving very high and they'd be forced to drive a 70-80 which would piss everyone else off.

Keep with the flow of the god damn traffic.

Driving at 70 can be obstructive enough when you can do more!
    think about the god damn lorries limited to 62mph and you poodling along in the middle lane or fast lane at 69.9mph, it's damn annoying.

End of rant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeonecalledJohnny)
    Some of them would because there cars would be within 10mph of the top speed drinking fuel and revving very high and they'd be forced to drive a 70-80 which would piss everyone else off.

Keep with the flow of the god damn traffic.

Driving at 70 can be obstructive enough when you can do more!
    think about the god damn lorries limited to 62mph and you poodling along in the middle lane or fast lane at 69.9mph, it's damn annoying.

End of rant!
    Lol if you look back, I joked about that earlier. Lara says he doesn't go above 80mph but I think it's cause his small Rover starts shaking when approaching 80+ :yep: My car has a top speed of 140 mph but wouldn't dare try it on a public road :p:

Anyway joke aside, look how safe the autobahn's in germany are, there is no limit on speed on most of them over there. I think it just depends on weather, traffic e.t.c The motorways are very safe unlike built up areas.

ReputationRep:
    STICK TO THE SPEED LIMIT.

UGH people like you really annoy me...

You wouldn't be happy if a family member was driving sensibly and got hit by some moron doing 85mph which is illegal !!!

Other people are going over the limit so it's okay !?

UGH it's a shame you weren't caught to be honest ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    I had my own close call today...

Going down a local dual carriage way. I was in the outside lane. Bus stops. Old fart in a fiesta stops behind the bus and suddenly decides to boot it round the bus. Didn't look in his mirrors and pulled out straight infront of the GT.
    I think I must have left most of my Firestones on the road! I genuinely thought I was going to hit the blind old ****.

If I write off the GT I want to do it on the strip not in the arse end of a poxy fiesta!
    Haha, awsome. One of the few things that made me laugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcakee)

You wouldn't be happy if a family member was driving sensibly and got hit by some moron doing 85mph which is illegal !!!

You're an idiot. I'd feel exactly the same as if said family member got hit my some moron doing 70mph which is legal :rolleyes: Are you saying you would be happy if a family member was driving sensibly and got hit by some moron doing 70mph? Freak....

ReputationRep:

I wasn't "caught" because of British laws. Clearly the motorways are not built up areas with children, adults walking around, so that is why the cops have some leeway on these kind of roads unlike residential areas.

I fail to see how doing 85mph and keeping my distance like the others cars were, would cause any harm, particularly as there is no chance of a kid crossing the road. Germany autobahns are safest and there is no limit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pompeyspud)
    You're going to hunt down and pull over every person going over 70 on the motorway? :rofl: I'd get started as soon as possible if you want to finish before you retire.
    At least there'll be less traffic. No traffic, to be precise, there'll be no-one left.

I also find it hilarious that your arbitrary imaginary 'okay' limit is 80 but you have a problem with people going 85.
    Agreed, its not cricket to criticise someone for breaking the speed limit when you've managed to convince yourself that only going 10mph the legal limit is okay...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo Con)
    I wasn't "caught" because of British laws. Clearly the motorways are not built up areas with children, adults walking around, so that is why the cops have some leeway on these kind of roads unlike residential areas.

I fail to see how doing 85mph and keeping my distance like the others cars were, would cause any harm, particularly as there is no chance of a kid crossing the road. Germany autobahns are safest and there is no limit.
    The law is there for a reason, an animal could run out infront of you, going at the reccomended speed limit will help you stop quicker than if you are going over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    You're an idiot. I'd feel exactly the same as if said family member got hit my some moron doing 70mph which is legal :rolleyes: Are you saying you would be happy if a family member was driving sensibly and got hit by some moron doing 70mph? Freak....
    Think about it... the law is trying to PREVENT deaths. LESS chance of an ACCIDENT HAPPENING if you are going at a SLOWER SPEED. You DONT WANT an innocent person to DIE... driving over the limit is NOT okay. You are an absolute moron for thinking so. Please just go get some common sense. kbi.

ReputationRep:
    Think about it... the law is trying to PREVENT deaths. LESS chance of an ACCIDENT HAPPENING if you are going at a SLOWER SPEED. You DONT WANT an innocent person to DIE... driving over the limit is NOT okay. You are an absolute moron for thinking so. Please just go get some common sense. kbi.
    I can't even be bothered with you if you can't even understand the simple evidence in front of you. Your argument sucks.

ReputationRep:
    The law is there for a reason, an animal could run out infront of you, going at the reccomended speed limit will help you stop quicker than if you are going over it.
    To be perfectly honest you're dead either way especially if it was a deer.

I think people should realise there's basically been a 50 year gap from when these limits were introduced to today. The government needs to reflect the change in technology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    I can't even be bothered with you if you can't even understand the simple evidence in front of you. Your argument sucks.
    You make no sense, seriously.
    So if people stop obeying the speed limit, we will all be going at different speeds, and even those obeying the speed limit could get hurt as it is proven you have less control over a car when it is at a higher speed .
    That is the basic theory I am trying to explain.. Get ittttt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    when im in the Police force it will be idiots like you i will be stopping, so carry on, ill be listening to these types of BS excuses for a long while yet
    Haha no you are not. Maybe after the first 4 that you pull over and realise while doing that 40 people overtook you speeding you might change your mind.

its cute you think that though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gamer99)
    To be perfectly honest you're dead either way especially if it was a deer.

I think people should realise there's basically been a 50 year gap from when these limits were introduced to today. The government needs to reflect the change in technology.
    You have more control over a car moving at a slower speed.

ReputationRep:
    as it is proven you have less control over a car when it is at a higher speed .
    That is the basic theory I am trying to explain.. Get ittttt?
    ok so maybe the speed limit should be 50 because you have less control going 70?
    just because you have less control doesnt mean you dont have control, most drivers can comfortably control a car going 80-85 mph at least

ReputationRep:
    LOL.

Yes, your logic truly is undeniable. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You have more control over a car moving at a slower speed.
    Great. Let's all drive around at 1 mile an hour then.

Again, your argument sucks.

The simple fact is that a flow of traffic at 85mph on the motorway is just as 'safe' as if it were at 70mph as long as people leave an appropriate gap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    ok so maybe the speed limit should be 50 because you have less control going 70?
    just because you have less control doesnt mean you dont have control, most drivers can comfortably control a car going 80-85 mph at least
    Yup true, I guess most can, then you get some low life boy racer, who goes over the limit and crashes and kills an innocent person/family.

You can't just disgard the rule because 'most' can cope with it, because deaths on the road are high, so really, people don't have control.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.