Turn on thread page Beta

British soldier killed in Afghanistan was 2012 Olympic hopeful watch

ReputationRep:
    bring em home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vtecbaby)
    you would put soldiers above law/politicians? woe. ncos are just headless chickens m8 lol
    Do you even know what the **** an NCO is? You keep saying "every once in a while, an NCO dies..." etc. as if it's more important than a junior soldier (or indeed an officer) dying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Oh shut up.
    He knew the risks of joining the army, he knew what he was getting into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    To all those saying how tragic it is, it's also tragic that the computer parts you're using were made in china by little kids, I wonder how they're being treated, bet they don't get milk and cookies.

People like you make me sick.

At the end of the day not everyone thinks we should be in Afganistan, and just because someone goes over there doesn't mean I should or shouldn't respect them.
    He joined the military, he knew the risks, I have no sympathy with his death, I don't pity him, and I didn't know him in anyway so I don't see how I could respect him.
    He gave his life for his country, for his colleagues, for his job.
    How is that not honourable?
    You are able to speak freely and do as you wish because of the sacrifice of such men and women.

Your lack of gratitude is lame.

(Original post by punktopia)
    Shouldn't have joined the army then, should he.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't mean we can't respect him and the job he was doing out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DBazza)
    Do you even know what the **** an NCO is? You keep saying "every once in a while, an NCO dies..." etc. as if it's more important than a junior soldier (or indeed an officer) dying.
    its less important when a NCO dies

ReputationRep:
    its less important when a NCO dies
    What?! OK now you're talking complete rubbish.

Firstly, whenever personnel are killed in conflict, the Army is always very careful not to attach more "importance" to death according to rank; this week, for instance, a Lt Col and a Trooper from the same unit were killed on the same day - outwardly, neither was considered to be "more" important.

Secondly, in a situation where one "had" to attach importance to a soldier's death according to their rank, it would probably be considered MORE important when an NCO dies - he or she will likely have been in the Army for several years, and have had an awful lot more time and money invested in training and service than a junior soldier who has been serving for 2 years.

I seriously think that you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    hang on u saying a genearl is less important than a nco? grow up.

ReputationRep:
    Its tragic, but we should have left that country long ago, We have no right to be there, so deaths will be inevitable.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Let's Place Him On A Pedestal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Why the **** do people feel the need to spam up threads with their disrespectful views?

Irregardless of whether or not you believe we should be in Iraq, whether or not you believe that anyone can compete in the Olympics or even whether you think Elvis is still alive, this is not the thread for it. Have some bloody respect :rolleyes:
    You're absolutely right. Iraq and Afghanistan are two different countries and this thread is clearly not for discussing Iraq. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    hang on u saying a genearl is less important than a nco? grow up.
    Actually if you re-read my post I was saying that no rank is any more or less important than any other, but that in a purely hypothetical situation, the death of an NCO would have a greater impact than the death of a junior soldier (which was the example I used - I made no comparisons between NCOs and Generals).

I think you are the one who needs to grow up; or at the very least, gain some subject knowledge before debating it.

ReputationRep:
    i have loads of knowledge, now you need stop compairing one dead soldier with anotheer- they are all equal and all give their lives for us so grow up!

ReputationRep:
    i have loads of knowledge
    Then start acting like it.

ReputationRep:
    no need to act like it

get a grip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH123)
    Yeah Let's Place Him On A Pedestal.

Did I even say that? I simply said he could have done so much with him life, so could every other soldier that's died in the conflict, along with all the Afghan civilians who have died as a result of this conflict as well...:rolleyes:

You have no idea what his circumstances were...how can you judge him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    He gave his life for his country, for his colleagues, for his job.
    How is that not honourable?
    You are able to speak freely and do as you wish because of the sacrifice of such men and women.

Your lack of gratitude is lame.

:rolleyes:
    I thought it was because of the laws of the land...

I didn't talk of honour, honour and respect though are both subjective ideals, man made concepts and not objective.
    Do you respect the people who in awful labour conditions make computer parts for you, and thus making you able to speak on the internet because of their (forced) sacrifice?

At the end of the day I don't believe that we should be in Iraq, and I don't think it's respectable to invade so on so forth.
    And that does come into it, he fought for something he either believed in, or followed orders, fine. But I don't think the actions of the military at large are respectable.

ReputationRep:
    Well, hardly suprising, what do you expect if your going to invade another mans country?

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was because of the laws of the land...
    The laws of the land yes, for the laws of other lands, for this country, for other countries,a nd so on.

I didn't talk of honour, honour and respect though are both subjective ideals, man made concepts and not objective.
    Honour is a form of recognition people obtain purposely or not or seek to obtain.

Do you respect the people who in awful labour conditions make computer parts for you, and thus making you able to speak on the internet because of their (forced) sacrifice?
    Yes believe it or not I do.
    I respect that it is hard for them, and that they have a ****** life.

At the end of the day I don't believe that we should be in Iraq,
    We are more less out of Iraq now.

and I don't think it's respectable to invade so on so forth.
    Sure the grounds on which the British and American millitary along with others invaded Iraq are dubious, however why should we judge and criticize troops because of that? The buck stops not with them but with politicians.

And that does come into it, he fought for something he either believed in, or followed orders, fine. But I don't think the actions of the military at large are respectable.
    All actions of the military are not respectable or just some?
    Are you going to sift through all the incidents and decide what are respectable and what isn't?

And what is respectable? You know the military are sent to give aid and do other such acts to help people. So that isn't respectable? rescuing hostage isn't respectable? Taking out drugs boats off the coast of Britain isn't respectable? Taking our terrorists on our home soil isn't respectable?

So what is respectable?
    Because if members of our armed forces do all this, and they still signed up despite the risks. Well that is respectable to me.

Shame it isn't to you.

ReputationRep:
    To those who are saying what does it matter if he was an Olympic hopeful; I don't think you understand, not only have we lost a soldier we have also lost a decent shot at a medal which is far more important. /sarcasm.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.