The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
aliel
A 2nd year historian told me when i was there, that the tutors look for 3 things:
1) Can this student realistically get a 2:1 ?
2) Can i bear possibly tutoring such a student for 3 years?
3) How will this student fit in with the group of applicants I have at first mentally selected?

I am not sure whether this student was 100% right...but hey it calmed my nerves...slightly.

God, so many ppl got offers..
Reply 581
joka85
yeh...get training just in case :smile:

LSE not yet...u?

Yeah, they gave me an offer, BBB, with B in geog and maths. Good luck with yours
Reply 582
aliel
Really don't try and judge your chances of acceptance on the interview.....hand on heart mine was truly awful....but have come to the conclusion the offer was based on me being able to entertain the tutor for a few years.......

lol... from the description you gave me of your interview, no doubt they'll be entertained... It's always good to make them laugh a bit if you can. That's what I was told by a student. Didn't happen at my interview, though... we'll see.
Reply 583
aliel
Really don't try and judge your chances of acceptance on the interview.....hand on heart mine was truly awful....but have come to the conclusion the offer was based on me being able to entertain the tutor for a few years.......

hmm....how do u plan to entertain them? :wink:
Reply 584
matouwah
hmm....how do u plan to entertain them? :wink:

I knew I should have taken up juggling...
Reply 585
Well........I was interviewed by two male professors, the main one that was interviewing me looked like he was agitated. I stupidly asked: " Are you frustrated"? At this point the other professor who sat slightly behind the main one, started cracking up...I felt so silly as you can imagine..
Reply 586
aliel
Well........I was interviewed by two male professors, the main one that was interviewing me looked like he was agitated. I stupidly asked: " Are you frustrated"? At this point the other professor who sat slightly behind the main one, started cracking up...I felt so silly as you can imagine..

lol....u being serious?
Reply 587
I am indeed, it was not funny at the time!!! But when i came out and told the 2nd year historians they said that they were both cool tutors (both youngish~early 30s). I was literally so sure i wouldnt get in...until Saturday morning!! There were 24 applicants for 6 places..and i nabbed one of them :biggrin:
Thanks goodness its good to make them laugh. After my interview I suddenly had a flashback to something I read about applying to Oxbridge saying don't try to be funny. I didn't - it just kind of happened.

Still stressing over if I will be accepted though. Competition so stiff- one person I talked to was on the winning team of an International Physics Competition I entered (the IYPT).

But I got about the same number of questions right in the test :cool:
Reply 589
hey, congratulations to every1 who's had offers from oxford! I'm still waiting for word from Cambridge :frown:

On my interview day at Cambridge, I had two interviews (academic and general) in the morning, then a written test at 2pm. At the end of the written test, the tutor asked me to stay behind, and he said because my birthday is on 3rd august, i would only just be 18 when starting the degree should they make me an offer, so if they were to make me an offer, would I consider postponing it for a year so I would be 19 when i started. Does anybody have any idea why he'd ask me this!?? Is he just testing my commitment do you think? I was told not to read anything into it but i can't help it!!

:wink:
Reply 590
musicman
hey, congratulations to every1 who's had offers from oxford! I'm still waiting for word from Cambridge :frown:

On my interview day at Cambridge, I had two interviews (academic and general) in the morning, then a written test at 2pm. At the end of the written test, the tutor asked me to stay behind, and he said because my birthday is on 3rd august, i would only just be 18 when starting the degree should they make me an offer, so if they were to make me an offer, would I consider postponing it for a year so I would be 19 when i started. Does anybody have any idea why he'd ask me this!?? Is he just testing my commitment do you think? I was told not to read anything into it but i can't help it!!

thats strange.....most people r 18 when they start. i will definitely be
Reply 591
wonkey

There are some from Scotland who are only 17.
Reply 592
wonkey

But they would be a young 18, in N. Ireland you would actually be in the year below now. - Oxbridge are very keen on gap years anyway due to the old sixth term system where everyone had at least 6 months growing up time!

I would take it as a good sign that they are definately considering you and it wasn't a test, my friend after being pooled was offered a place for an 04 start last year but they like there students to be quite matured!

What subject was it for?
Reply 593
i nearly 100% sure my oxford letter will arrive tomorrow morning. am i the only one who is really anxious? :frown:
Reply 594
edders
i nearly 100% sure my oxford letter will arrive tomorrow morning. am i the only one who is really anxious? :frown:

I'm feeling exactly the same - Sarco got his yesterday so mine must be on it's way :frown: I am SH*TTING myself! I'm really dreading getting the letter and trying to figure out what it says!

I'm going to be at work too so Mum or Dad is going to bring it in - total humiliation! :frown:
Reply 595
Sazzle
But they would be a young 18, in N. Ireland you would actually be in the year below now. - Oxbridge are very keen on gap years anyway due to the old sixth term system where everyone had at least 6 months growing up time!

I would take it as a good sign that they are definately considering you and it wasn't a test, my friend after being pooled was offered a place for an 04 start last year but they like there students to be quite matured!

What subject was it for?

It was for music. Thanks for the info, i would quite like a gap year anyway, feel like i've been in education for too long!!

Reply 596
edders

I bet I have been rejected.....I can just see myself opening the letter with all the family there -

*Dear sir (yeah right),

we are not at all sorry for rejecting you, you worthless maggot! Oxford is for ppl with brains - you and the word brain together is like the occurrence of two positive ions bonding together - it won't happen. Due to the awfulness of your interview, we have notified UCAS so as to save any other universities from the Blamp's disease. You are a disgrace and at best, a waste of the tax payers' money. Go and hang your head in shame, Mr Blampied. Oh and merry Xmas to you (look we even dumbed it down to you terms, hence the *xmas*)

Don't bother reapplying maggot,

Oxford, Pembroke college
Reply 597
I remember last year it was such a rush to try and figure out what it was saying - for a second I thought it was good news :frown: I don't want to have to do that again!
Reply 598
lol when you put it like that blamps, maybe a rejection letter isnt so bad :smile:
Reply 599
Sazzle
I'm feeling exactly the same - Sarco got his yesterday so mine must be on it's way :frown: I am SH*TTING myself! I'm really dreading getting the letter and trying to figure out what it says!

I'm going to be at work too so Mum or Dad is going to bring it in - total humiliation! :frown:

ahhh im trying not to think about it, but i reckon it will be another rejection :frown: hopefully it will arrive early morning (like 9am) and not late morning so i can get it over and done with.

Latest

Trending

Trending