Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Snow Watch

Announcements

(Original post by dhutch)
      Ive just had a snow ball fight in my lunch hour. Snow is awesome!
      Same and at break time as well!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by sc0307)
      where r u? its dark, cloudy and still at sub-zero temperatures here in SE london lol
      South coast pal! It looks like summer here if you just look at the sky!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by thecdon)
      South coast pal! It looks like summer here if you just look at the sky!
      South coast too and

is what it looks like from my garden over Poole harbour. There's usually an island there and that's the sun :nothing:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Roobsa)
      What I don't get is why TFL doesn't just hop on the phone to say, the Norwegian transport people and be like, "Yo, how do you keep your public transport system running when there's snow everywhere?" They've been doing fine with snowy conditions since forever. Why TFL are so inept at dealing with these conditions. I don't mind the snow but it does get frustrating when all of London seemingly shuts down because of some snow. Maybe I'm looking at it too simplistically, but surely getting advice from a country who deal with worse weather than this is better than pissing about and cancelling all trains, flights etc?
      But they still suffer disruption.

"As far as trains are concerned, there were severe problems last year which led the government train company to take some measures. It has been a little bit better this year," says Anders Bolling, a reporter on Om Dagens Nyheter.

"In February and March there were catastrophic scenes where people were stranded for days."
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11897825

A lot of Europe has been struggling with it. Geneva airport closed for 36 hours this week because of snow.

At the end of the day it comes down to money. The main issue with UK weather patterns is that we can go reasonably long spells with no severe winter weather. Next year or the following year we'll probably have very little snow in comparison to the last couple of years. Not a consistent enough weather pattern to justify vast expenditure.

this is snow im my area we were making a snow bear

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by blueray)
        this is snow im my area we were making a snow bear

looks like an elephant

ReputationRep:
        Just had a brief snowfall which lasted about two minutes. Still very minimal compared to further up North, my friend's had an entire week off University in Sheffield!

ReputationRep:
        How do I make a snowman?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by ChrisBan)
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11897825

A lot of Europe has been struggling with it. Geneva airport closed for 36 hours this week because of snow.

At the end of the day it comes down to money. The main issue with UK weather patterns is that we can go reasonably long spells with no severe winter weather. Next year or the following year we'll probably have very little snow in comparison to the last couple of years. Not a consistent enough weather pattern to justify vast expenditure.
        In fact, winter 2011/12 is expected to be worser than 2010/11 due to a solar luminosity minimum.

The North Atlantic drift has weakened throughout November. This means that Northern Europe no longer has the warm moist air transported by the Gulf Stream from the Caribbean.

There's evidence to prove both these claims. Google solar maximum/minimum and the shutdown of the Gulf Stream.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Student#254)
        In fact, winter 2011/12 is expected to be worser than 2010/11 due to a solar luminosity minimum.

The North Atlantic drift has weakened throughout November. This means that Northern Europe no longer has the warm moist air transported by the Gulf Stream from the Caribbean.

There's evidence to prove both these claims. Google solar maximum/minimum and the shutdown of the Gulf Stream.
        Just had a geography lesson today? Shutdown of the gulf stream is one of those doomsday scenarios they feature on Horizon/in movies i.e. Day After Tomorrow. Whilst it is entirely possible global warming could kick start the process, its not one of those processes that happens overnight, i.e. Day after tomorrow. AFAIK its not expected to occur atleast within the next century.

As for solar activity... great. That runs in long cycles too. Like I said, next winter could be just as bad as this winter could. However, it could also be nowhere on the scale in comparison.

ReputationRep:
        It's pretty cold tonight and icy, -2 here in East London.

ReputationRep:
        Now that winter’s here I find it difficult to get out of bed.

(Original post by samanthaaaa)
          Just had a brief snowfall which lasted about two minutes. Still very minimal compared to further up North, my friend's had an entire week off University in Sheffield!
          when people have a week of school they feel over joyed but when you get older and have a week of uni and you have to pay for it you feel over cheated :mad:

ReputationRep:
          Blue sky :woo: I've been off uni the whole week because of the snow, fed up with it and wish it would go away!

(Original post by hannahhi)
            Blue sky :woo: I've been off uni the whole week because of the snow, fed up with it and wish it would go away!
            yep I understand what you mean

ReputationRep:
            I was sitting out in the snow last night for about 2 and a half hours. Get back to my mates house, sleep, wake up, and all the snow's gone ¬_¬

If only it had melted last night, I wouldn't have gotten snow in my chocolate then.

ReputationRep:
            Wooooooh snow is melting. No more slipping and bruised bums. :cool:

ReputationRep:
            This snow is nothing, try walking to college in scandinavia ( 0.5 - 1 meter snow is normal there) not cosidering extreme sub zero temperatures. In my area it could get up to -34 celsius in winter. Fun isn't it xD

ReputationRep:

We made a snowman of our landlord :ahee:

And then we gave it boobs.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by kaosu_souzousha)
            This snow is nothing, try walking to college in scandinavia ( 0.5 - 1 meter snow is normal there) not cosidering extreme sub zero temperatures. In my area it could get up to -34 celsius in winter. Fun isn't it xD
            Your use to it tho! We aren't! (or most of us)

Submit reply
          TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2011
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
          Useful resources
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.