Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Kindle and other E-book readers discussion. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megan.c)
    That's a bit of a pain then :/ I'm not really sure what to do then
    Try to borrow one for a bit and try it out. There are pros and cons to them. I have one, but there are frustrating elements to them. On the other hand, they are great for holidays etc. You can't read them during landing and take off on planes, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Try to borrow one for a bit and try it out. There are pros and cons to them. I have one, but there are frustrating elements to them. On the other hand, they are great for holidays etc. You can't read them during landing and take off on planes, though.
    I can't see why you couldn't read them on a plane once you've turned the wifi off? Mine even has an aeroplane mode on it.

ReputationRep:
    What sort of price is the Sony? I'm better at handwritten notes on paper to be honest, but that's something to consider

I suppose that's a point, isn't there an option on most e-readers to go to a page? So I could use that providing I made enough notes on paper
    I've got the PRS-650, it's now sold for £89 on Amazon, is touch screen and lets you put music on it, but it doesn't have the Internet (its only "downfall") but I personally find the Internet completely pointless on an e-reader because I like to have a well organised library on my laptop and it's easy transferring thanks to a memory card, as it does, indeed, let you put a memory card, which is more than you can say for a Kindle (I have about a gazillion books on mine and the 2GB of the actual e-reader weren't enough, haha). It supports a lot of formats, and Calibre can always convert one for you if need be. It reads images and PDFs, and actually allows you to go to any page of any book, whether the book is properly formatted or not.

The other problem would be that you can't put books bought on Amazon on it, but you can read them on your smartphone or laptop anyway, and if it's classics you're after, most of them are free and available on websites like the Gutenberg Project.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    I can't see why you couldn't read them on a plane once you've turned the wifi off? Mine even has an aeroplane mode on it.
    I can't see either, but there was a very lengthy article in the Guardian earlier this week explaining why. For a start, they would have to check everybody's Kindle individually to see if the wifi had been turned off. Not my rules, theirs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ng?INTCMP=SRCH

ReputationRep:
    I never read much on planes, but I'll be spending 4 hours+ on trains every week so I guess I could use it purely as a reader then buy cheap copies of the more important books or the ones I actually want to write my essays on to use as references? That's just me thinking aloud... possibly a bit pointless that!

(Original post by Anatheme)
    I've got the PRS-650, it's now sold for £89 on Amazon, is touch screen and lets you put music on it, but it doesn't have the Internet (its only "downfall") but I personally find the Internet completely pointless on an e-reader because I like to have a well organised library on my laptop and it's easy transferring thanks to a memory card, as it does, indeed, let you put a memory card, which is more than you can say for a Kindle (I have about a gazillion books on mine and the 2GB of the actual e-reader weren't enough, haha). It supports a lot of formats, and Calibre can always convert one for you if need be. It reads images and PDFs, and actually allows you to go to any page of any book, whether the book is properly formatted or not.

The other problem would be that you can't put books bought on Amazon on it, but you can read them on your smartphone or laptop anyway, and if it's classics you're after, most of them are free and available on websites like the Gutenberg Project.
    Thanks for the info I'll look into that one, won't be getting one till my loan comes in anyhow!

ReputationRep:
    I can't see either, but there was a very lengthy article in the Guardian earlier this week explaining why. For a start, they would have to check everybody's Kindle individually to see if the wifi had been turned off. Not my rules, theirs.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ng?INTCMP=SRCH
    Ah I see, interesting, so they're basically saying that you could read them on take off and landing, but there's a load of health and safety BS meaning that they wont let you haha.

ReputationRep:
    The best thing about having a kindle is not losing my bookmark or page!

Plus there's lots of good free books constantly available. I've read some really enjoyable fiction for free, and of course, the classics!

Currently reading Swiss Family Robinson

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    Ah I see, interesting, so they're basically saying that you could read them on take off and landing, but there's a load of health and safety BS meaning that they wont let you haha.
    Pretty much. I quite liked the bit about how they could fly out of your hand and hurt somebody.

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of getting a Kobo for uni so my room isn't crammed with loads of books for my English course. Reckon it's worth it? Bearing in mind that a lot of books I'll only need for one week/a little bit of referencing in essays so I won't need to have paper copies that I can write in depth notes in!! And I can't always rely on being able to get them from the library...

(Plus these Kindle/Kobo covers are beaut and I quite fancy the excuse to buy one! http://www.truffleshuffle.co.uk/stor...eywords=kindle)
    Ereaders are AMAZING when you need to take notes for essays because they let you search your notes and your highlighted quotes for key words - in paper copies you have to waste forever flipping through the pages. Referencing ebooks in essays can be a little tricky depending on the policy of your institution / department, but I haven't had any problems referencing Kindle editions (without page numbers, just chapter / section numbers) of primary texts in my essays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyyy)
    Ereaders are AMAZING when you need to take notes for essays because they let you search your notes and your highlighted quotes for key words - in paper copies you have to waste forever flipping through the pages. Referencing ebooks in essays can be a little tricky depending on the policy of your institution / department, but I haven't had any problems referencing Kindle editions (without page numbers, just chapter / section numbers) of primary texts in my essays.
    Ah ok, I'm thinking as my course requires me to read a lot of books but not necessarily include each in an essay I might just buy the books I will be using as cheaply as possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daveywavey)
    I got an Amazon kindle e-book reader for Christmas yesterday and whilst I can see the advantages of reading an actual book, I must say I'm hooked on my e-book reader! You can buy all of Jane Austen's novels for 79p and Thomas Hardy's collection of 20 books for only 69p! I can't believe what a bargain it is!

Who else has an e-book reader? And what books have you read off them? Do you prefer it to reading an actual book? I am currently halfway through reading Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

I love the fact that you can add notes and highlight certain parts of the text!

i have a kindle and i think im addicted to it.
    on the first day i got it i brought practically all the classics that were free- and one year later ive only read one lol

i have an amazon kindle and i think the best thing by far is the kindle store- and the fact it was so easy to set up

ive read mainly YA fiction, recently i read the perks of being a wallflower (seriously if you havent read it you should) and loads of dystopian fiction

ReputationRep:
    Just to add to the whole 'charging a lot for books on the Kindle' thing - Amaon (sorry - instrumental key on keyboard not working, as is the 'n' but the cannot-be-mentioned character is a lot more rare :P) have said that they are running at a loss whilst selling Kindles through the belief that they can make back the money via ebook sales.

How else do you think they can provide all those features at +/- £100 a unit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedRevolver)
    Just to add to the whole 'charging a lot for books on the Kindle' thing - Amaon (sorry - instrumental key on keyboard not working, as is the 'n' but the cannot-be-mentioned character is a lot more rare :P) have said that they are running at a loss whilst selling Kindles through the belief that they can make back the money via ebook sales.

How else do you think they can provide all those features at +/- £100 a unit?
    Kindle books used to be much cheaper until Apple colluded with all the major publishers to fix prices.

Posted from my Galaxy note

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Hey, is anyone here long-sighted? I get headaches and shiz when I read or use the computer sometimes (especially if I am not wearing my glasses) and I wanted to know how you guys get on with it

I am ever so slightly, have to use glasses when reading/using computer (rarely do because I'm too lazy to find them but I really should) and I've had no problems with it at all in fact I'm a total convert. You can alter the size of the text etc. if you get a bit headachey which is what I often do to reduce strain x

ReputationRep:
    does kindle read word docs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cardiff Kook)
    does kindle read word docs?
    It does PDFs which is how i read my journals for university if that's any help at all.

EDIT: Having just googled it, you can indeed use it to read word documents!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/prosp...-book-business

This is interesting – i've got a Kindle and can't fault it really, i'd say that the best feature is easily the free published downloads of public domain works. But I'd never really been aware that I wasn't properly buying these books, they are effectively being lent to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/prosp...-book-business

This is interesting – i've got a Kindle and can't fault it really, i'd say that the best feature is easily the free published downloads of public domain works. But I'd never really been aware that I wasn't properly buying these books, they are effectively being lent to me.
    kinda disturbing that your library could be wiped at any moment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 22KT22)
    It does PDFs which is how i read my journals for university if that's any help at all.

EDIT: Having just googled it, you can indeed use it to read word documents!
    Thanks, that's good to know.

For those who have a kindle and tablet -is reading from a tablet like reading from a computer? I'm trying to avoid headaches & eyestrain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cardiff Kook)
    Thanks, that's good to know.

For those who have a kindle and tablet -is reading from a tablet like reading from a computer? I'm trying to avoid headaches & eyestrain.
    I don't have both however my housemate does so i have experienced both. Tablets like PCs are generally backlit which is what causes the eye strain where as a kindle using E-Ink and so the strain is similar to reading a book. I struggle to read books on my Ipod which is essentially a smaller Ipad as i strain my eyes if you're purely wanting an E-reader get a Kindle, if you want to do other stuff but not as much reading get a tablet.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.