Football forum changes. Add your suggestions. Watch

R-KAM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A subforum for football out with the "Best League in the World" would be good. The main forum is always going to be English dominated, so a large portion of new/existing users will still be attracted to it, but if there's specific sub forum on the rest of the world I think it'd lead to far better discussions and would probably attract people who are more interested in other leagues than the current format. Just threads within that subforum would do. No need for subforums with subforums, that's getting to Inception-esque.

Could the powers in charge not be convinced to just rename the Euro 2012 one when that's over and try it from there?

That'd interest me far more, I'm not too bothered about EPL.
Kevmeister
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Next time there's a seperate subforum created can it be mod created/approved threads only, please?

So many threads in the Euro subforum. Three pages of them, for what will amount to roughly 32 matches.
ahq
Badges: 15
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kevmeister)
Next time there's a seperate subforum created can it be mod created/approved threads only, please?

So many threads in the Euro subforum. Three pages of them, for what will amount to roughly 32 matches.
We did discuss this, and decided that it would probably be fine to let people create threads as they liked, given that the World Cup sub-forum worked in a similar way. Thanks for the note - it will certainly be taken into consideration the next time.
Mastermind`
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

What Abiral said plus I guess we didn't want to restrict people i.e. someone creates, say, a Ukraine v France match thread 5 minutes before kick-off because Abiraleft or I have been unable to for whatever reason and we're not around to approve it - which happened a few times last season. I don't think the number of threads is an issue as long as they're needed. If they're not on topic we just merge them.

Obviously it doesn't work so well after England matches as there are a few members who think their opinion is so important that it deserves its own thread, even if such a thread already exists. Bizarelly, some A-level lads and lasses have also been posting their A level queries in the Euro 2012 sub-forum. :lolwut: In future it's probably better that we do the approved thing, would save a lot of bother.
Kevmeister
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mastermind`)

Obviously it doesn't work so well after England matches as there are a few members who think their opinion is so important that it deserves its own thread, even if such a thread already exists. Bizarelly, some A-level lads and lasses have also been posting their A level queries in the Euro 2012 sub-forum. :lolwut: In future it's probably better that we do the approved thing, would save a lot of bother.
That's because its at the top of the index page! And some people are not so clever to look for the right forum!
R-KAM
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mastermind`)
What Abiral said plus I guess we didn't want to restrict people i.e. someone creates, say, a Ukraine v France match thread 5 minutes before kick-off because Abiraleft or I have been unable to for whatever reason and we're not around to approve it - which happened a few times last season. I don't think the number of threads is an issue as long as they're needed. If they're not on topic we just merge them.

FFS :lol:
ahq
Report 6 years ago
That's because its at the top of the index page! And some people are not so clever to look for the right forum!
After it happened more than once, I thought it must have been some sort of a bug. :o: Hard to believe that people would click straight through a link named 'Euro 2012' and ignore the big 'Euro 2012' title that appeared next as well as the fact the all the other threads in the section were about Euro 2012. :hmmm:
R-KAM
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Abiraleft)
After it happened more than once, I thought it must have been some sort of a bug. :o: Hard to believe that people would click straight through a link named 'Euro 2012' and ignore the big 'Euro 2012' title that appeared next as well as the fact the all the other threads in the section were about Euro 2012. :hmmm:
Any advancement on a sub-forum out with the EPL?
ahq
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by R-KAM)
Any advancement on a sub-forum out with the EPL?
We haven't discussed it any further yet. I'm thinking we might do so after the Euros are over.
R-KAM
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We haven't discussed it any further yet. I'm thinking we might do so after the Euros are over.
Cheers bbz. :kiss:

Spoiler:
Show
:fuhrer:
mr tim
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
happens in the Welcome Lounge, About TSR, chat etc, even happened when TSR wiki changes was a forum where people would post in that forum, which was at the bottom in the wrong place. Guess people don't read properly or can't be bothered to read all of them.
ahq
Report 6 years ago
Right, following some discussion, it's been decided that we'll experiment with beginning to expand the European/World aspect of the football forum: on a trial basis, we're going to create separate threads for Spanish and Italian football, as they seem at present to be the most widely discussed non-English leagues here; everything else will go in the European/World Football Thread as it does now. This is with the expectation that more space will eventually be created for discussion on other leagues/countries on the forum, which will hopefully expand and enrich the football forum in the long run.

On that note, I'd also ask you guys to keep an eye out, especially in these opening stages, for material that should be in the new threads that's posted elsewhere. :top:

And without further ado:

The Italian Football Discussion Thread

The Spanish Football Discussion Thread

Enjoy.
boumavilla
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey Abiraleft, you know you said you kept up with your dutch football, how do you watch it?
Do you watch it on ESPN or on the internet?

To make this relevant to the thread too, ooo I hope a Dutch football forum is created!!
mr tim
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
x
Should possibly change the colour of the titles?
Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just thinking about the match threads :beard:

Would something like this (redcafe) work? Just a thread for that weeks premier league games to talk about both before, whilst they are on, and after instead of individually?

Many games simply arent popular enough to have match threads.. which is fair enough .. i dont really expect there to be one for every game where some may not even have a a page of posts about it, but then the only place to talk about them would either be the ultimate football thread which never really seemed to be used for that, not in any kind of regular discussion based way anyway.

So then games often go completely ignored or randomly talked about in club threads that didnt even play etc just as a means of discussion to varying degrees.

Not sure how clogged up some of them may get though. Sometimes match threads can be more than double the size of another one if something has gone on etc, so the size and how fast it is used could be an issue of it is used..

Obviously CL, FA cup etc matches would be different.

Just a random thought i guess :chaplin:
mr tim
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
^ We did have that at the start last season, but there weren't enough interest.
ahq
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mr tim)
Should possibly change the colour of the titles?
Done this now; thanks. :top:

(Original post by Tommyjw)
Just thinking about the match threads :beard:

Would something like this (redcafe) work? Just a thread for that weeks premier league games to talk about both before, whilst they are on, and after instead of individually?

Many games simply arent popular enough to have match threads.. which is fair enough .. i dont really expect there to be one for every game where some may not even have a a page of posts about it, but then the only place to talk about them would either be the ultimate football thread which never really seemed to be used for that, not in any kind of regular discussion based way anyway.

So then games often go completely ignored or randomly talked about in club threads that didnt even play etc just as a means of discussion to varying degrees.

Not sure how clogged up some of them may get though. Sometimes match threads can be more than double the size of another one if something has gone on etc, so the size and how fast it is used could be an issue of it is used..

Obviously CL, FA cup etc matches would be different.

Just a random thought i guess :chaplin:
It's a good idea in principle, but as mr tim said, it hasn't really worked in the past. :no: The Ultimate Football Thread would probably currently be the best place to discuss games that don't have a match thread to themselves, yes. But it might be worth having a think regarding how to get around the problem you've highlighted - thanks for the suggestion! :yy: :holmes:
Kevmeister
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is the awards sub forum still needed?

Was the ultimate England thread deleted with the Euro stuff? Would be handy...... and perhaps an ultimate internationals thread would be an idea? Keep club stuff separate, as it makes discussion easier?
ahq
Report 6 years ago
Is the awards sub forum still needed?

Was the ultimate England thread deleted with the Euro stuff? Would be handy...... and perhaps an ultimate internationals thread would be an idea? Keep club stuff separate, as it makes discussion easier?
I believe it's being kept around for reference purposes while a Wiki is being made. :yep:

Wasn't there already an England Thread in the main footy forum? It probably would be handy otherwise, I'll have a look. :holmes: Thanks!

As to an Ultimate Internationals Thread, I agree with the perks regarding the division of discussion, but also wonder if it wouldn't take a bit too much away from the Ultimate Football Thread. :beard:
Kevmeister
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I believe it's being kept around for reference purposes while a Wiki is being made. :yep:

Wasn't there already an England Thread in the main footy forum? It probably would be handy otherwise, I'll have a look. :holmes: Thanks!

As to an Ultimate Internationals Thread, I agree with the perks regarding the division of discussion, but also wonder if it wouldn't take a bit too much away from the Ultimate Football Thread. :beard:
There was an England one, I thought it went into the sub forum though?

Re last point - the UFT is being pointed to as the place to discuss the smaller pl games. We have WC qualifiers soon and a separate thread would make referencing previous results/talking points and so forth easier. Just my two cents. :yy:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (490)
37.72%
No - but I will (100)
7.7%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (621)
47.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise