People applying for Sheffield Hallam Uni 2014 Watch

jamesandrew93
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by carrie.2)
Hi, I am thinking of studying the same course at Sheffield Hallam! I was just wondering what you think so far?
What sort of lab work etc have you been doing?
Hi!

I absolutely love the course! However, it is a lot of hard work. In comparison to any other discipline, e.g. English or nursing, we definitely had more coursework!
Most of the coursework was formative (didn't count towards final grade) however there was a lot of it and i found it quite overwhelming at first.

And in your lab days you do different stuff every week, e.g. You'll do enzymes one week and then you'll do blood grouping the next. I find most of the lab content great however some can slightly boring (depending on your interests of course).
However it is a great course!

Posted from TSR Mobile
jamesandrew93
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bahiadabo)
Hey, do you know how many exams you'll be expected to sit at the end of the year and also is there a possibility of changing courses to another similar one e.g biochemistry to chemistry?
Hi! The number of exams varies between courses as there a slight difference in the modules studied. For me, I have 3 exams whilst human biology have 4 exams.
I don't really know anything about transferring courses within the department but I'm sure it's possible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
parry_93
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jamesandrew93)
Hi there!

The modules shared by most bioscience courses are all in the same lecture. I think all courses (except chem) do cellular biology module and all courses will be in the same lecture. If that makes sense?

A typical week for me (as a Biomed student) is:
Monday: cellular biology, biochem and micro 9-11 and intro to Biomed 12-2
Tuesday: professional and scientific practice 1 1pm-3pm then IT is 3-4
Wednesday: tutorial 9-10 then human anatomy 10-12
Thursday: bioanalytical methods 11-1
Friday: full lab day

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey,

Thanks. I guessed that it may have been a large lecture but they just said on the open day that they share modules.
I'll be doing Human Biology

What do you do in IT? Just like basic skills etc?
And a full lab day is for how many hours? Is it like a 9 - 4?

Oh one more, is there mainly 18 year olds in first year or some older ones too??
jamesandrew93
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by parry_93)
Hey,

Thanks. I guessed that it may have been a large lecture but they just said on the open day that they share modules.
I'll be doing Human Biology

What do you do in IT? Just like basic skills etc?
And a full lab day is for how many hours? Is it like a 9 - 4?

Oh one more, is there mainly 18 year olds in first year or some older ones too??
Yes it is a large lecture. If you're doing human bio, you'll be in 3 large lectures and the rest are slightly smaller. In one of them it's just your course.

In IT you don't learn about IT skills, it's computer based learning. So you may have post-lab IT sessions to help with certain post lab activities/write ups.

With regards to lab days, yes it usually is a full lab day 9.30-4 (some lab days are only half days (9.30-12.30) but if you may finish early if you've completed all tasks required.

And the majority of students are 18year olds and a very minority of students are mature students. But this should be expected.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
parry_93
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes it is a large lecture. If you're doing human bio, you'll be in 3 large lectures and the rest are slightly smaller. In one of them it's just your course.

In IT you don't learn about IT skills, it's computer based learning. So you may have post-lab IT sessions to help with certain post lab activities/write ups.

With regards to lab days, yes it usually is a full lab day 9.30-4 (some lab days are only half days (9.30-12.30) but if you may finish early if you've completed all tasks required.

And the majority of students are 18year olds and a very minority of students are mature students. But this should be expected.

Hope this helps!
Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll be 21 in November but I still pass for around 16!

Oh that's good, is it generally a month to write up a practical? On my current course we have 2 weeks to do a 2000 word write up for each practical we do.

I've seen the lab books that is given to you with all the different practicals in for the year.

Do you find yourself making friends with people across all the biosciences as well as just your own course??
jamesandrew93
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'll be 21 in November but I still pass for around 16!

Oh that's good, is it generally a month to write up a practical? On my current course we have 2 weeks to do a 2000 word write up for each practical we do.

I've seen the lab books that is given to you with all the different practicals in for the year.

Do you find yourself making friends with people across all the biosciences as well as just your own course??
For every lab session you have to complete a data and question sheet that will asks several questions on the practical you have just done. These lab data and questions sheets form the majority of one of the portfolios you have to complete in the scientific practice module. This portfolio isn't handed in until April.
Also, you are required to do two lab reports. One of them is in semester 1 and is formative (doesn't count and is like a practise) and one in semester 2 that is summative (counts towards final module grade). For the lab reports you are given two weeks to complete.
With regards to making friends, I have mainly made friends with people on my course and in my tutorial because you are with these guys the majority of the time.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
RebeccaLaura_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyone doing events management
parry_93
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For every lab session you have to complete a data and question sheet that will asks several questions on the practical you have just done. These lab data and questions sheets form the majority of one of the portfolios you have to complete in the scientific practice module. This portfolio isn't handed in until April.
Also, you are required to do two lab reports. One of them is in semester 1 and is formative (doesn't count and is like a practise) and one in semester 2 that is summative (counts towards final module grade). For the lab reports you are given two weeks to complete.
With regards to making friends, I have mainly made friends with people on my course and in my tutorial because you are with these guys the majority of the time.

Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It does.

One more thing, did you get a reading list or any books you found helpful??

Posted from TSR Mobile
leighsumpter
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RebeccaLaura_)
Anyone doing events management
I've applied for events with arts and entertainment
jamesandrew93
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It does.

One more thing, did you get a reading list or any books you found helpful??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes you do get a reading list and come in the post with your confirmation letter in August/September. However, even though it's good to have your own books, I'd recommend loaning them from the library. I bought my own and kind of regretted it because I barely used them until now for revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
kamilasocka
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey!! i'm doing criminology!
kamilasocka
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
has anyone applied for liberty court????
username1366281
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dalehornsby)
Someone help!

AS Grades:
Drama - A
Film - C
Media - C

A2 Targets:
Film - D
Media - C

How many UCAS points would I get from this?
200 i think!
parry_93
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dalehornsby)
Someone help!

AS Grades:
Drama - A
Film - C
Media - C

A2 Targets:
Film - D
Media - C

How many UCAS points would I get from this?
If you are carrying on a subject from AS to A2, the tariff points only count from the A2 grade.

So that would equal to 200 (Drama - A. Film - D. Media - C)
miikey
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can you brew your own alcohol in halls of residence? I am planning on staying at victoria halls. Is it against any policies or anything? (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
parry_93
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by miikey)
Can you brew your own alcohol in halls of residence? I am planning on staying at victoria halls. Is it against any policies or anything? (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not sure how you would hide it when you have room inspections.
Doesn't it have a distinctive smell of hops too??

Posted from TSR Mobile
miikey
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not sure how you would hide it when you have room inspections.
Doesn't it have a distinctive smell of hops too??

Posted from TSR Mobile
But would you have to hide it? Are you not allowed to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
parry_93
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by miikey)
But would you have to hide it? Are you not allowed to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure they'd take kindly to brewing. But you can always ask them.
And remember your room isnt going to be THAT big.

Posted from TSR Mobile
natcat-xo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What accommodations has everyone put for their choices??
JakeCryo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyone doing law? I have an unconditional (only if it choose it as a firm) going to make the decision on whether to accept or not in the next hour or so
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 27 Oct '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.52%
No I haven't decided yet (57)
22.62%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.86%

Watched Threads