Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    To everyone here, LSE does actually check UMS. The question was asked at the open day and the lady herself said they send you a questionnaire for you to fill out with each module.
    Does UCL check UMS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    Does UCL check UMS?
    Nope.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    i saw this and was very shocked to see a top rung Uni like them in clearing for Economics ! if it's in clearing for the last 2 years running , does that mean getting an offer from them will be slightly easier next year ?
    Probably because if you are Durham standard then you should have an offer, they can't use the generic statement of "you're good but there were better".

I think it should be a much easier if you meet the predicted grades or have slightly above it but it depends on how many spaces they had on clearing this year and last year since I doubt TSR is the only place to have noticed this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Probably because if you are Durham standard then you should have an offer, they can't use the generic statement of "you're good but there were better".

I think it should be a much easier if you meet the predicted grades or have slightly above it but it depends on how many spaces they had on clearing this year and last year since I doubt TSR is the only place to have noticed this.
    yep that's very true , also theres the fact there are no more January exams next year so the likelihood of more people missing there offers due to all exams being in June is gonna be higher , so hopefully that means most Uni's will be providing more offers but who knows.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it says much about the quality of Durhams course just because they have extra spaces in Adjustment.

Warwick actually had spaces and let people in through adjustment.

ReputationRep:
    I did a taster course at QMUL and I think it's a great university if it had my course I would have definitely applied.
    (Original post by Fas)
    yeah , hopefully by end of A2 i will have A*AA , but realistically i think i'll end up with AAA ! Surrey was a potential one i considered aswell , parents want me to apply to Warwick instead of Surrey for my 5th uni choice ( not in any order ) and im like " noooo waaayyy " hahahaha
    I'm considering either Sussex or Queen Mary xD I'm at slight reluctance to go to London due to costs and i heard Queens is not a great area around, but ill check it out soon But it does look like a jolly good university

Both are super universities in the field, maybe Warwick better however but whether you like the location/campus is another matter

At the moment my desired universities would be 1. Southampton/Surrey () 3. Royal Holloway 4. Sussex/Queen Mary 5. Reading (Insurance at worst)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    I'm considering either Sussex or Queen Mary xD I'm at slight reluctance to go to London due to costs and i heard Queens is not a great area around, but ill check it out soon But it does look like a jolly good university

Both are super universities in the field, maybe Warwick better however but whether you like the location/campus is another matter

At the moment my desired universities would be 1. Southampton/Surrey () 3. Royal Holloway 4. Sussex/Queen Mary 5. Reading (Insurance at worst)
    I know someone who graduated from Queen Mary's for Economics. She said she loved her time there since it was a great campus University which was a bit rare around London. Then she said she rejected LSE for it, but I'm not too sure about that last part.

ReputationRep:

ahh not bad at all ! yeah London is notoriously expensive to live in , dunno if i want to study there or not but i think the employment advantages of being in London will outweigh the costs

aye , Warwick is a LOT better ( officially best Uni in the country now according to thecompleteuniversityguide ) but also a LOT harder to get into !

i think ive made Durham my 5th choice haha , if it's been in clearing last 2 years then hopefully i stand a better chance of getting an offer from them - plus i went to the open day and loved it , what stopped me before was doubt about whether i'd get an offer or not !

ReputationRep:
    Does UCL check UMS?
    It didn't last year, but it has done in the past.

ReputationRep:
    I've only got one spot left on my UCAS form, so it's tough to choose. If you had to choose one (I know I'm asking a lot) which would you choose?
    Out of Bristol and Bath? Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    I've only got one spot left on my UCAS form, so it's tough to choose. If you had to choose one (I know I'm asking a lot) which would you choose?
    If you get predicted more than 2 A*'s go for Bristol. Bristol Economics admissions person said you'd have to have an awful personal statement and not get an offer if you are predicted 2 A*'s or above. Later spoke to a general admissions person who said that it wasn't definite that you'd get an offer with a predictions of 2+ A*'s, but said it is very likely.

That being said, my friend (who's off to do Politics and Economics at Bath) told me that the year in industry is meant to be amazing, but since he's going there he might be biased!

ReputationRep:
    I'm really struggling to decide between Bath and Bristol, open days are on the same day for both. Any opinions?

If I went for Bath I'd go for the placement year but Bristol is a Russell group and closer to the city which means there might be more to do.
    Please look at my thread, although personally biased towards Bath as I went there, Bath starting salary with placement for economics is £7,500 higher than a straight Bristol economics grad. If you have any questions about Bath I am happy to answer.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2436352

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who graduated from Queen Mary's for Economics. She said she loved her time there since it was a great campus University which was a bit rare around London. Then she said she rejected LSE for it, but I'm not too sure about that last part.

(Original post by Fas)
    ahh not bad at all ! yeah London is notoriously expensive to live in , dunno if i want to study there or not but i think the employment advantages of being in London will outweigh the costs

aye , Warwick is a LOT better ( officially best Uni in the country now according to thecompleteuniversityguide ) but also a LOT harder to get into !

i think ive made Durham my 5th choice haha , if it's been in clearing last 2 years then hopefully i stand a better chance of getting an offer from them - plus i went to the open day and loved it , what stopped me before was doubt about whether i'd get an offer or not !
    Oh sweet. I'm not sure entirely whether ill go seaside brighton or busy city London xD (Considering i live in dorset, i've seen enough of the seaside already o.O). Queens has the advantage slightly of closer links with those finance firms in London, which may help in getting work experience/placements, but its still very tough!

Yeah i've actually noticed that ALL my choices we're in clearing this year :sad: Not sure if its good or bad!!

I wish i was smart enough to get into those top end universities, it would make getting a job slightly easier i guess! But hey ho, i got to settle for what i can actually achieve!
    The future is scary considering many jobs go to the high enders, leaving me alone in the cold :sadnod:

I still have no clue what specific job i would like to do in the future! Maybe something like retail banking is an option? Or even something totally unrelated within a government department !

ReputationRep:
    Oh sweet. I'm not sure entirely whether ill go seaside brighton or busy city London xD (Considering i live in dorset, i've seen enough of the seaside already o.O). Queens has the advantage slightly of closer links with those finance firms in London, which may help in getting work experience/placements, but its still very tough!

Yeah i've actually noticed that ALL my choices we're in clearing this year :sad: Not sure if its good or bad!!

I wish i was smart enough to get into those top end universities, it would make getting a job slightly easier i guess! But hey ho, i got to settle for what i can actually achieve!
    The future is scary considering many jobs go to the high enders, leaving me alone in the cold :sadnod:

I still have no clue what specific job i would like to do in the future! Maybe something like retail banking is an option? Or even something totally unrelated within a government department !
    hahaha don't worry about it , the Uni's your planning to go to are really good still , and Surrey/Southampton are top end Uni's

ReputationRep:
    Guys I did my whole Maths A2 in year 12 and I missed an A* by 1 mark in C3 and C4. But courses like LSE require an A* in Maths. Will they consider that it is only one mark and that I will retake C4 to get the A* or do I not have any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuDa2103)
    Guys I did my whole Maths A2 in year 12 and I missed an A* by 1 mark in C3 and C4. But courses like LSE require an A* in Maths. Will they consider that it is only one mark and that I will retake C4 to get the A* or do I not have any chance?
    They may consider you slightly differently as you did it a year early, I would email them just in case otherwise you may just waste a choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whats the ums avg for LSE?

ReputationRep:
    you probably stand a higher chance than those predicted an A* in Maths , as you took the A-level over a year and came really close. So it definitely will not disadvantage you , that's for certain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    you probably stand a higher chance than those predicted an A* in Maths , as you took the A-level over a year and came really close. So it definitely will not disadvantage you , that's for certain
    Well lets hope so. Thanks for the reassurance tho

ReputationRep:
    Well lets hope so. Thanks for the reassurance tho
    Don't cash it in and don't tell them you missed the A*, won't look good.
    You can avoid cashing it in by saying the applied modules were for AS FM (I think that's how it's done

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.