Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Also I have a question which I would appreciate someone replied to: I have just finished my AS year and Im in Yr13. I have done my research but Im still finding it very difficult to select which Uni I will be most likely to get an interview at. I have currently achieved (A) Physics (A) Biology (B) Maths (B) Chemistry. I also have a lot of work experience including travelling to Kenya to volunteer at a hospital. I have a decent Personal statement which has been checked by admission officer and she thinks to think its pretty good. My UKCAT is 675 & Band 1 in SJT. What would be the best Universities to apply to where I will almost certainly get an interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AhmedDavid)
    Also I have a question which I would appreciate someone replied to: I have just finished my AS year and Im in Yr13. I have done my research but Im still finding it very difficult to select which Uni I will be most likely to get an interview at. I have currently achieved (A) Physics (A) Biology (B) Maths (B) Chemistry. I also have a lot of work experience including travelling to Kenya to volunteer at a hospital. I have a decent Personal statement which has been checked by admission officer and she thinks to think its pretty good. My UKCAT is 675 & Band 1 in SJT. What would be the best Universities to apply to where I will almost certainly get an interview.
    Dude, I think it's true to say that there are no Universities where anyone would "almost certainly" get an interview, even with very high scores on UKCAT and great grades.

Kenya sounds great, but try to remember it's what you have learned rather than what you have actually done that is they key to valuable work experience.

Good luck whatever you decide

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'm applying for medicine for 2014 entry and I'm not too sure about uni choices.

GCSE's: 8A*s and 2As
    AS: 4As in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French
    A level predictions: 3A*s in Biology, Chemistry and Maths
    UKCAT: 675 average and band 3 for SJT

Which unis do you think it would be worth applying for? Any help would be great!
    Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    hey guys i was just wondering how much i am in a disadvantage by not taking A2 biology. i am applying to queen mary, keele,sheffield and manchester.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know which Uni's only use the UKCAT for borderline cases? thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salmaed)
    BSMS and keele

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salmaed)
    Cardiff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by behappy777)
    I dont know which universities would give me a chance of an offer. At gcse I got 5a*s 4as and I got 3As and 1B at AS. In the ukcat I got 2380. please help me.
    hey! My stats are pretty similar to yours..
    GCSE: 5A*s 7As
    AS: AAAB
    UKCAT: 2420…

So I've done some research and found some non-UKCAT heavy universities. I think the ones which suits us the most are

1.Liverpool <no UKCAT, scores candidates' GCSE by a/a*=2 b=1 among 8 subjects>
    2. Keele <looks at UKCAT only after the interview>
    3. Leeds <UKCAT same as keele>
    4. Bristol <no ukcat>

but I'm still not sure where I'm applying..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeyP96)
    Sheffield is my first choice so I've been working really hard on my personal statement. My teacher said she's been really nice in my reference so thats good
    Went to a Uni Fair this weekend and Sheffield Med School really caught my attention. They are very into extracurricular and sports and I've got a lot of that so i think I'll be applying to Sheffield too.

ReputationRep:
    In desperate need of advice. I need to choose 4 unis to apply to and at the moment I cant decide between 8 (Leicester, HYMS, Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Liverpool.) I really want to apply to the ones I have highest chance of an offer. My Gcses are 5 A * (triple science maths and geography) 5 As (English lit and language, RS, History and statistics) and a C in Spanish. 4 As in my as levels all above 90 % and a ukcat of 720 (doesn't look too good this year) which of them 4 should I apply to? or is there some others that I have a higher chance of getting in ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolverine96)
    In desperate need of advice. I need to choose 4 unis to apply to and at the moment I cant decide between 8 (Leicester, HYMS, Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Liverpool.) I really want to apply to the ones I have highest chance of an offer. My Gcses are 5 A * (triple science maths and geography) 5 As (English lit and language, RS, History and statistics) and a C in Spanish. 4 As in my as levels all above 90 % and a ukcat of 720 (doesn't look too good this year) which of them 4 should I apply to? or is there some others that I have a higher chance of getting in ?
    Hiya! So I dont know about all of them but...
    Leicester score your UKCAT and academics out of 30. You have 30/30 for your UKCAT and I think you have the same for your academics (double check on that though) so thats a safe bet.
    Birmingham require an A* in English Language or English Literature so I would stay away.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou1228)
    Hey i am applying for 2014 entry and i am a bit unsure of where i stand the best chance of getting in, any help would great

GCSEs: A* in maths, chem, bio and geography As in Physics, english lit, english lang, B in french and C in PE and a OCR diploma in ICT.

AS: A in biology, citizenship, maths, chem, and a B in Physics

Ukcat
    VR 640
    QR 750
    AR 640
    DA 880
    SJ band 1
    average 727.5 total 2910

was thinking about, Newcastle, Hull/York, Durham, Sheffield, Leicester, Leeds, Edinburgh and Manchester

Thanks
    I would be careful of applying to Newcastle the cut off last year for ukcat was 695 but this year everyone seems to have done amazing so I presume it will rise quite a bit. That is only my opinion though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pittawithcheese)
    Dude, I think it's true to say that there are no Universities where anyone would "almost certainly" get an interview, even with very high scores on UKCAT and great grades.
    This is a bit wrong!! There are several universities where you can guarantee yourself an interview!!! for hyms you need 700+ UKCAT, for Leicester you need 58+ (we think) /60 on their scoring scale, for newcastle/durham you'll need 720+ on UKCAT etc.! There are more examples too!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AhmedDavid)
    What are your GCSE;s?

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,
    I know perfectly well that everyone hates these 'Am I good enough' posts so I wont do anything like that.
    I would love to know if anyone thinks there are some universities where applying with aaaa at AS and A*A*A*A predictions is regarded quite highly even though my GCSEs aren't that great.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I didn't put my ukcat on UCAS nor did I enter my UCAS number on the Pearson Vue website. How will the unis know that I took the test?
    Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thank you so much.. (a bit panicked right now)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosine)
    Hi

I didn't put my ukcat on UCAS nor did I enter my UCAS number on the Pearson Vue website. How will the unis know that I took the test?
    Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thank you so much.. (a bit panicked right now)
    I really suggest you contact your school/sixth form asap! They would be able to add the ukcat scores in if they haven't sent off your application already

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I recently emailed UEA admissions regarding their selection process but their answer was still pretty vague to be honest. Does anyone have any specific ideas on how UEA decide who gets an interview?

This was their answer btw: " Applicants who meet our minimum entrance requirements will then have their academic qualifications (achieved and/or predicted) and UKCAT assessed and ranked alongside other applicants in the pool. References and personal statement will be considered as part of this process. The scores for each applicant are then ranked for short-listing for interview. The top 650 applicants will then be invited for interview. Places are offered on the basis of both academic and interview performance.

Each interview lasts approximately 50 minutes and are normally held between December to March each year. Selected applicants are invited to take part in an OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Examination) style interview, also known as a Multiple Mini Interview (MMI). During the interview, each applicant rotates through a series of rooms, known as 'stations', They will spend 5 minutes at each of the 7 stations, with a 1 minute changeover/preparation time between each. Please note that we do not disclose interview questions before the interview day. "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studnetMo)
    I really suggest you contact your school/sixth form asap! They would be able to add the ukcat scores in if they haven't sent off your application already
    So, do we really have to enter our UKCAT score on UCAS? I don't remember giving Pearson VUE my UCAS personal ID when registering for a test... :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine .)
    So, do we really have to enter our UKCAT score on UCAS? I don't remember giving Pearson VUE my UCAS personal ID when registering for a test... :O
    My sixth form told us we have to enter them on UCAS. And it makes sense seeing as there is a section for the UKCAT when your adding qualifications. I also didn't give Pearson Vue my UCAS ID so what other way would the uni's have of finding out our UKCAT score? If someone else knows more about this they could probably be of more assistance than myself xD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.