The Student Room Group

What is something that is widely known to your gender but not the other?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
I don't think anyone just stands there and bleeds on the floor, but when people don't pay proper attention and there's pads lying around surrounding the sanitary bin, it's just....eugh. Horrific. I can't even describe it. Guys would be amazed by how filthy girls toilets can be at times.

Any who have had to clean them would not be.

My gender is not defined by its genitalia. :proud:
Reply 581
Women don't seem to know that:

No, they do not always find everything out :rolleyes:
Original post by tazarooni89
One thing I don't understand about the offside rule:

Normally, in order to be onside, you have to be further from the goal line than the last two opposing players on the pitch (usually the goalkeeper and the last defender) when the ball is played.

What happens though, if the goalkeeper takes a step back behind his goal line, so technically he's no longer on the pitch anymore? Wouldn't this mean that the last two opposing players on the pitch are now both defenders, and so the attacker has to be further from the goal line than both of these defenders when the ball is played (as opposed to just one of them, and the goalkeeper)?

If so, I think I've invented a cheeky offside-trap :p: (Though this is probably where you tell me I'm talking rubbish lol...)

That's a good point but in reality it would be blatantly obvious what he was doing and he'd get booked for unsporting behaviour/the linesman wouldn't even think to flag for it. It's also against the rules to just wander off the pitch, it's OK if you fall over or can't stop yourself of course but if you were doing it deliberately it actually would be breaking a specific rule.
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
I don't think anyone just stands there and bleeds on the floor, but when people don't pay proper attention and there's pads lying around surrounding the sanitary bin, it's just....eugh. Horrific. I can't even describe it. Guys would be amazed by how filthy girls toilets can be at times.

Reminds me of my family holiday about 5 years back.

"Mummy mummy there's a bandage in the toilet, someone must be hurt!"
Reply 584
Original post by alexs2602
That men don't usually pretend to want to be a girl's friend to sleep with them.

Edit: If it isn't clear I'll clarify, men become friends with women because they want to be friends with them. Simple, right? And if they also want to have sex with them that doesn't usually take away from that. They still want to be friends for other reasons.

Abso-frigging-lutely.

The number of times I've been ignored by girls for being nice, and generally shunned, because (implicitly) they think I'm just yet another guy who wants to **** her and nothing else.
Reply 585
Original post by heirloom
I live in the north and I don't think that 99% of girls have no hobbies. I think it depends on upbringing. In my experience around 60% of girls at my school have hobbies. Horse riding is common, as is Irish dancing ( although I'm sure that's because I go to a catholic school ), normal dancing also ( eg ballet, jazz and tap). I think the most common is rowing, lots of my girl friends row. Some were into football, F1 and music.
My main hobby is fashion. I like watching what comes down the runway. I make quite a few of my clothes myself, I knit as well. I can also cook, when I went to Thailand I went on a cooking class and learned how to make three dishes. Since I've been back I've been experimenting and learning how to make more Thai dishes.
I don't think you can generalise about girls having no hobbies. I think you just lived with a very boring bunch of girls

This. Back home basically every girl I knew had at least one proper hobby that they spent a lot of time on, there were loads of girls who did different forms of dancing, there were girls who did riding, loads of girls swam and competed in swimming competitions etc, badminton was very popular with a lot of people I knew, as well as loads of girls playing in the local pipe band or brass band.
Reply 586
Original post by mc1000
Abso-frigging-lutely.

The number of times I've been ignored by girls for being nice, and generally shunned, because (implicitly) they think I'm just yet another guy who wants to **** her and nothing else.

Totally agree. Roughly half of my closer friends are girls and my best friend (actually the best friend I've ever had) is a girl too. No intention to sleep with any of them.
Reply 587
Original post by deathhead
I was afraid of that..:redface:

Also it annoys me when girls don't seem to appreciate how bad getting kicked in the balls is. It can literally stop you having children. Vaginas are made to give birth, balls aren't designed to take being kicked and the pain can be enough to make a guy throw up instantly.

And yet people use "get some balls" and "stop being such a p***y" with what turns out to be the totally wrong meanings!
Original post by Hylean
Any who have had to clean them would not be.

My gender is not defined by its genitalia. :proud:

Excellent point. I have the utmost pity for anyone who has to go through that ordeal. On the flip side, when somewhere has nice toilets it's just thrilling. I wish I was saying that ironically, I'm not. My old school toilets were vile, university is a vast improvement.
Original post by St. Brynjar
Reminds me of my family holiday about 5 years back.

"Mummy mummy there's a bandage in the toilet, someone must be hurt!"

Hahaha, fantastic. :lol:
Original post by Jimbo1234
That is because it will be something mummy and daddy made them do/remaining doing.
Wait until they get to uni. Then they stop all of it as they never were that interested to begin with/take up boyfriends as their only hobby. I've seen this happen so many times. Girls who have numerous hobbies and are even competing in some of them all of a sudden drop everyone like a stone come uni and go hunting after dick :rofl: To be honest it is quite sad.
Into fashion and went to Thailand? How are you/your parents financial off?

Not true. I have hobbies at uni and my friends come along and do them too, or they have hobbies of their own. Like, one of my friends is really keen on debating and another one goes to salsa classes, another does loads of first aid. Some of my friends aren't in societies but they really like playing the ukulele or drawing pictures. I keep getting distracted from my work to write poems. My problem is wanting to do too many things, actually. I'm your classic "Pick up a hobby and drop it a few years later and do something else" type. I'll find something else that interests me and start that and then they start demanding you devote more time to it so then you have to choose. I don't want to miss out on loads of things because I've devoted all my time and energy to gymnastics or something. Other people have one thing they love more than anything else and that's the only hobby they really want to do. And then some people don't necessarily shout about their hobbies all the time, but that doesn't mean they don't have them. They might really like baking, or collecting buttons. How do you know?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Lala_1234
A few facts about boobs...
No matter how small, they are not comfy to lay on.
Getting hit/pushed/punched/flicked/squeezed-a-bit-too-hard in the boob reeeeally hurts!!
Erect nipples cannot be avoided... The awkward bra which you can see your erect nipple through is always the worst.

I've seen a couple of girls mention how awkward getting erect nipples can be but what I don't get is why it's such a big issue. You'd have to be looking very hard to notice it through a bra surely? Seems rather insignificant compared to the issue of getting an erection as a guy.
Reply 592
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
No, they don't. They choose to. My mother didn't take a single day off work after either my birth or that of my sister.

I don't think it's a choice a lot of the time haha, some people are physically built to have children, others aren't and come across difficulties/complications. I'm sure if you had a vag and tore it round to your ******** during childbirth then having time off of work wouldn't be a choice as much as a physical necessity haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 593
Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt
I thought there were contraceptives that do that?

My ex had that bar thing in her arm.

She'd be weeks late, then have the most violently abrasive bouts of PMS. Honestly. Warlord material. There's another gender specific phenomenon.

There are contraceptive that girls can use to stop/prevent their periods but it's not irreversible and it's really bad for you, the lining of the womb is nutrient rich, obviously you've got to grow a baby in there, so if you're not shedding it in a period you get a build up of this nutrient rich lining which is a perfect home for all sorts of bacteria :biggrin: biology~

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 594
I don't think a lot of guys know how often clubs etc put sofas/armchairs/other fancy seating and even tables in girls toilets. Whenever I tell my male friends they respond with a beautiful mix of curiosity and jealousy.

Also guys don't know how lucky they are that even on hot days, there is usually a layer of material between their thighs and the seat. Tights are oddly stifling but without that holy nylon protection, if you're wearing a skirt your thighs stick to your chosen seat with such force that when you stand up the chair either comes with you or some of your skin is left behind.

Also I remember having a conversation with one of my guy mates when we were 17. And he told me how he thought a period was something that just comes all of a sudden, then you run the toilet, have it in a few minutes, then that's your period over. It's really not. It can last weeks if you're unlucky and it can be so awful, like I always imagine a bad period to be like being kicked in the balls because the description is so similar. Period pains can give you a fever and make you throw up and pass out etc and they can give you headaches and backaches as well as womb cramps. I've never been so grateful for codeine.

Also. Girls. No one tells you that you're probably going to take a **** when you're having a baby. In front of everyone. Why do people not tell us this. I never want children, I can't be dealing with strangers watching me poop.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by scrotgrot
That's a good point but in reality it would be blatantly obvious what he was doing and he'd get booked for unsporting behaviour/the linesman wouldn't even think to flag for it. It's also against the rules to just wander off the pitch, it's OK if you fall over or can't stop yourself of course but if you were doing it deliberately it actually would be breaking a specific rule.

Yeah, looks like you're right.

Actually, I just looked it up in FIFA's official laws of the game, and apparently if any player leaves the field of play without the permission of the referee, they are (for the purposes of the offside rule) considered to be standing on their own goal line. So if the goalkeeper did step behind his line, it wouldn't make any difference - he'd still be considered to be on the pitch. So it wouldn't have worked anyway :frown:

Strange thing to think about though - if you're not even involved in your team's defensive play (e.g. if you're a forward or something), going for a walkabout off the pitch could strictly speaking mean you're playing an opposing attacker onside at the other end lol...
Reply 596
Original post by Jimbo1234
That is because it will be something mummy and daddy made them do/remaining doing.
Wait until they get to uni. Then they stop all of it as they never were that interested to begin with/take up boyfriends as their only hobby. I've seen this happen so many times. Girls who have numerous hobbies and are even competing in some of them all of a sudden drop everyone like a stone come uni and go hunting after dick :rofl: To be honest it is quite sad.
Into fashion and went to Thailand? How are you/your parents financial off?

Seems to me like your issue isn't girls with hobbies, it is how well off parents are. Every time a girl has replied to you saying she has hobbies you jump down her throat essentially saying "Yeah well you are probably rich so you don't count" and berating them just because they may have had a different/more financially stable upbringing to your own. All it may prove is that girls from different backgrounds may like to do different things, not that girls don't have hobbies. Also just because "mummy and daddy" encouraged them to do a particular hobby doesn't mean that they are automatically no longer interested in it when they get older and would rather "chase after dick." Here is something shocking for you: girls like to have sex! What about the boys who chase after girls for sex? Do they not have hobbies or is that completely different because they are male? You make a lot of generalisations based on some people you may know at Uni. I'm sorry but it doesn't count for the rest of the female population.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
Sounds good but like. :colondollar: Are you never worried it'll like. tip over? :eek: I don't even know if that's possible.

I know what oyu mean lol! Well if you put it in the right way up it stays the right way up. You've got muscles in there that will hold it in place without you having to think about it :tongue:

Just a note, if you still own a virginity you cannot use one lol.
Original post by eliza.anne
Whaaaaat? My boobs are comfy to lay on :s
Agree about getting flicked etc though, ouch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe just me then :/ awks. And I don't have big boobs, they are just not comfy to lay on at all, I have to put a pillow under my belly or something to lift myself up :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 599
Original post by alexs2602
I've seen a couple of girls mention how awkward getting erect nipples can be but what I don't get is why it's such a big issue. You'd have to be looking very hard to notice it through a bra surely? Seems rather insignificant compared to the issue of getting an erection as a guy.

Especially because erect nipples = oh she must be a bit cold

guy erection = Is that guy.... OMG PERV!!! Run away from the scary man!

Quick Reply

Latest