Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Did you see how much Schweinsteiger and Ribery matter to them?
    That's my point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    I would love him here. He would help a bit because we sometimes get stuck when the other team put 11 behind the ball. If we can't score, then there are his epic long shots. Also he can play in the middle well too which has been shown since holtby left.

He can develop just as well at Arsenal as Schalke. He is quite a realistic target and could see him coming too us. Also if he does want to develop and get game time he would choose us over madrid
    The guy is only 19, already recognised by his national team and is a Schalke youth product. You don't have a good chance of signing him. I can see him going to Madrid but I doubt he'll ever be in the EPL. He'll be at Schalke for another 1/2 year(s) anyway.

ReputationRep:
    How on earth did we beat Bayern 2 - 0 at the Allianz? :laugh:

ahhh, barca need to win champs league soon, so we can get the rest of the fabregas money!

ReputationRep:
    Bayern Munich 4-0 Barcelona
    Bayern Munich 0-2 Arsenal :yep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnightice)
    "I think you'd struggle to find any Arsenal fan that isn't happy for RvP. No-one in the Premier League deserves it more." - some guy on Twitter.

Moron.
    Saw this on the bbc i filled with hate! Such trolls, it's the same with 5live. Scummy *******s.

ReputationRep:
    Unbelievable that a totally unproven and out of his depth teenager was preferred to Alex Song tonight. Obviously he's not a CB but they trust Mascherano to play there. Complete waste of his career. Fair enough hell get a la liga medal but the kit man deserves one more than he does. Some whispers of getting him back and for 10m it wouldn't he bad business. He was very overrated by many at arsenal though imo so is prefer someone with more discipline tbh.

Fabregas is less extreme but similar. I'm sure he prefers living in Barca with his family and friends rather than n5 but from w footballing point of view he's just wasted these days. He can't genuinely enjoy only getting a run out in the easy games and being totally ignored in the big games. Doubt many of hid fondest memories have come at Barca. Think arsenals style suited him better as well tbh Feel sorry for the guy really as its such a waste.

On a similar note I desperately want Arteta to be phased out next season as well. Ramsey can do his job if needed and a proper Vieira type behind Jack and Santi would be such an improvement.

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame Huntelaar signed a new contract, if we could have got him, a front two of him and Podolski could have been a tasty prospect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Unbelievable that a totally unproven and out of his depth teenager was preferred to Alex Song tonight. Obviously he's not a CB but they trust Mascherano to play there. Complete waste of his career. Fair enough hell get a la liga medal but the kit man deserves one more than he does. Some whispers of getting him back and for 10m it wouldn't he bad business. He was very overrated by many at arsenal though imo so is prefer someone with more discipline tbh.

Fabregas is less extreme but similar. I'm sure he prefers living in Barca with his family and friends rather than n5 but from w footballing point of view he's just wasted these days. He can't genuinely enjoy only getting a run out in the easy games and being totally ignored in the big games. Doubt many of hid fondest memories have come at Barca. Think arsenals style suited him better as well tbh Feel sorry for the guy really as its such a waste.

On a similar note I desperately want Arteta to be phased out next season as well. Ramsey can do his job if needed and a proper Vieira type behind Jack and Santi would be such an improvement.
    Tbf bartra had been playing well for quite some time and did prove himself vs PSG in the second half. He was out of his depth but tbh busquetts and xavi weren't even on the pitch. Doubt song cares too much tbh but yeah I agree I'd rather be playing a bit more for a weaker team. Got too big for his boots.

Agree with you on fabregas but I think with xavi being phased out and having that achilles problem barca are trying to get fabregas to be the fulcrum of barca in the future. Need to start playing more directly to suit his game though.

Yeah said this before. Ramsey and wilshere should be the main midfield next season I really don't see what arteta does. He's far from amazing in passing to warrant his lack of defensive ability. If he had that ability to pick a pass like carrick/gerrard/alonso I'd say fair enough but he doesn't or seems to not do so. Ramsey would be good doing an aggressive DM role though. Can't help but feel that moussa sissoko would have been a good buy too. He's a bit of a yaya toure though so might end up with a song but if you could get him to track back like viera did he would have been a great signing for you guys since he's the type of dynamic player wenger likes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birdman1234567)
    It's a shame Huntelaar signed a new contract, if we could have got him, a front two of him and Podolski could have been a tasty prospect.
    It would be like playing with 9 men though I am wary of players like huntelaar who don't add a lot to your general play only finish off moves anyway but to play 2 players like that would be awful

ReputationRep:
    Why doesn't Wenger start Podolski upfront ever? Surely that's his best position, didn't he score like 15 league goals last season in that position for Koln? Now that Girouds out it would be crazy if he didn't at least get a chance there. When you guys bought Podolski I thought that's where he was going to play, I don't think he's a winger his most natural place is upfront.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    It would be like playing with 9 men though I am wary of players like huntelaar who don't add a lot to your general play only finish off moves anyway but to play 2 players like that would be awful
    Van Nistelrooy was the epitome of that sort of player yet was one of the best strikers to have played here. But I do see your point about having two in the same team - would be a bit stale upfront I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Van Nistelrooy was the epitome of that sort of player yet was one of the best strikers to have played here. But I do see your point about having two in the same team - would be a bit stale upfront I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Utd were dominant enough on the pitch to be able to afford to carry RVN at that time.

You can see a shift in SAF's thinking though - both in terms of having the likes of Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo and now RVP up front - all strikers who contribute much more than just pure goal scoring ability in the box.

A great example is Hernandez - he's a great player in the box and has an amazing goal/time ratio on the pitch but he doesn't offer an all round game and we've seen Welbeck get more time than him this season and last season.

You can afford a passenger against smaller teams to a degree and once you've got a lead, it's even easier but in Europe and against big teams, you're going to struggle having a player who offers little other than goal scoring/finishing.

(Original post by Mr Advice)

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Zerforax)
    Utd were dominant enough on the pitch to be able to afford to carry RVN at that time.

You can see a shift in SAF's thinking though - both in terms of having the likes of Rooney, Tevez, Ronaldo and now RVP up front - all strikers who contribute much more than just pure goal scoring ability in the box.

A great example is Hernandez - he's a great player in the box and has an amazing goal/time ratio on the pitch but he doesn't offer an all round game and we've seen Welbeck get more time than him this season and last season.

You can afford a passenger against smaller teams to a degree and once you've got a lead, it's even easier but in Europe and against big teams, you're going to struggle having a player who offers little other than goal scoring/finishing.
    football at that time was different from now, pure poachers were very common

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    How on earth did we beat Bayern 2 - 0 at the Allianz? :laugh:
    Watching yesterday's game, Bayern went out there to KILL!! - we only beat them because they believed the tie was already done, which to be honest it was.

Just like the AC Milan game from 2012.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spontogical)
    Watching yesterday's game, Bayern went out there to KILL!! - we only beat them because they believed the tie was already done, which to be honest it was.

So Bayern let Arsenal within one goal of winning the tie. If arsenal were little better on the day we could have score four

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spontogical)

That's gibberish. Arsenal beat them because we were better on the day.Simple.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lewandowski only scored 9 goals in his first season. Just a note to all the people who think Giroud is a donkey because he hasn't been the best striker in the world in his first season at Arsenal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)

I'm not buying into that. Van Nistelrooy was quality - in three of the five years he was here he scored over 30 goals including 44 in one season.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.