Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    Bit harsh. The exam was Friday, GC will upload on Monday (the next working day!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ave u met GC in person
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MAD Phil)
    IAt my college, the teachers get the hard-copy 3 or 4 days after the exam. Last year, I got a stern summons from the Exams 0fficer when she heard I had been distributing worked answers a day or two after the exam; she was worried that an exam-paper had been smuggled out of the exam-room after the exam and had reached the teachers - which would be a sacking offence for someone, I suspect. I had to explain that the "Edexcel Emporium" website for maths teachers posts the papers the next working day. (The S1 paper has still not been posted, as it is Saturday; I downloaded Arsey's answers and snipped the questions so I could answer them without being influenced by his answers.)

I sometimes think Arsey must have some special arrangement with Edexcel, especially as he seems to refrain from criticising them even when they are being particularly ... shall we say ... individualistic.
    Your Exams Officer is making it up as she goes along. You were a bit gullible to swallow her nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heizenburg)
    Damn it. 9 past papers and that never came up.

Anyway i can only find 3-4 marks that I have lost, so hopefully I should still get an A.
    Ofc you will get an A, r u craZzy !!

ReputationRep:
    This was a decent paper. From what I'm seeing, I should get 67/75 hopefully. For Question 4 e) give a reason why the mean and SD shouldn't be used for this data, I said that it's because the mean and SD is affected by extreme values or outliers. By looking at the 46-60 range, that's a pretty big range, and only 10 people are in that group. So I thought that extreme values would be a valid reason. Would this be incorrect?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TheGoldenRatio)
    ave u met GC in person
    Is Graham a revered and legendary character in Edexcel A Level threads? I've met him. Can I claim a prize?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Your Exams Officer is making it up as she goes along. You were a bit gullible to swallow her nonsense.
    Lol. The non-teaching personnel at my college are equally bad!
    Some of the Uni-advice staff put off many students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnharM)
    This was a decent paper. From what I'm seeing, I should get 67/75 hopefully. For Question 4 e) give a reason why the mean and SD shouldn't be used for this data, I said that it's because the mean and SD is affected by extreme values or outliers. By looking at the 46-60 range, that's a pretty big range, and only 10 people are in that group. So I thought that extreme values would be a valid reason. Would this be incorrect?
    I dont see why not, I was going to write that but then I thought that sd was NOT affected by extreme values, so I lost a mark there

But you will get the mark Im sure, I mean the classes werent evenly distributed were they

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Is Graham a revered and legendary character in Edexcel A Level threads? I've met him. Can I claim a prize?
    Mr M are you a teacher I need your help !!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Xx4L3x)
    Mr M are you a teacher I need your help !!
    Yes. What's up? I should point out I know nothing about Edexcel Stats!

ReputationRep:
    I dont see why not, I was going to write that but then I thought that sd was NOT affected by extreme values, so I lost a mark there

But you will get the mark Im sure, I mean the classes werent evenly distributed were they
    I hope I get the mark. The classes are not evenly distributed, 46-60 class is very large, so I assumed there are outliers in that class. In past papers, it does state that mean and SD's are affected by extreme values, but extreme values in this question aren't too obvious in this case. If I do get the mark, I would get 68/75, hopefully 90 UMS. Good luck with your results!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Yes. What's up? I should point out I know nothing about Edexcel Stats!

Oh ok then haha !!

I thought you taught Stats )

Maybe you can still help me.

One of the answers was asked for as a percentage, but I put it as a decimal and so did Arsey in his model answers and it was worth 2 or 3 marks. Will I still get the mark for this answer?

ReputationRep:
    people *****ing and going all apocalyptic about losing 3-4 overall are the ****ing worst i swear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnharM)
    I hope I get the mark. The classes are not evenly distributed, 46-60 class is very large, so I assumed there are outliers in that class. In past papers, it does state that mean and SD's are affected by extreme values, but extreme values in this question aren't too obvious in this case. If I do get the mark, I would get 68/75, hopefully 90 UMS. Good luck with your results!
    Aw thank you at least youll definitely get an A, Im borderline depending on the grade boundaries !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tit)
    6c) - Last normal distribution question - I did what a few people were saying before: I wrote:
    P(X<210)-P(X<200) = 0.98
    P(z<5/sigma)-P(z<-5/sigma)=0.98
    then I converted 0.98 into its z value, so:
    5/sigma - -5/sigma = 2.06
    5/sigma + 5/sigma = 2.06
    5+5=2.06sigma=10
    so sigma = 10/2.06=4.85 something.
    How many marks would i get for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Could someone shed light on this issue please? It would be greatly appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Oh ok then haha !!

I thought you taught Stats )

Maybe you can still help me.

One of the answers was asked for as a percentage, but I put it as a decimal and so did Arsey in his model answers and it was worth 2 or 3 marks. Will I still get the mark for this answer?
    I expect you will lose one mark if the percentage was 35% for example and you put 0.35.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I expect you will lose one mark if the percentage was 35% for example and you put 0.35.
    aww damn , that would be harsh . Ah well though , only a mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)

Arsey suspects it will get an OE mark

Because 2.4% is 2.4/100 = 0.024.

Wow
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Wow
    I haven't even seen the question. He may well be right.

ReputationRep:

Wow
    The question asked for a percentage, therefore I wouldn't be surprised if they docked a mark for a decimal. I would have thought the final A1 mark will be for the percentage stated

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I haven't even seen the question. He may well be right.
    OE = or equivalent isn't it ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.