The Student Room Group

Hongkong Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clh_hilary
I know - I was responding to the comment I quoted that mentioned 'visitor visa'.

Ah well the post I responded to was querying student visas issues with CUHK
Original post by lauramercier
Ah well the post I responded to was querying student visas issues with CUHK

Yeah I know - I just want to point out that if you guys are planning to come into Hong Kong as a tourist first you probably don't need to apply for another visa.
Yeah I know - I just want to point out that if you guys are planning to come into Hong Kong as a tourist first you probably don't need to apply for another visa.

I know but thank you anyway! :smile:
Reply 583
I got an email yesterday saying my visa had been approved and was going to be posted out to me. Have you heard from them too?

Yeah thankfully! I received the visa a few days after I'd confirmed my address. When are you leaving?
Original post by Mahree
Yeah thankfully! I received the visa a few days after I'd confirmed my address. When are you leaving?

Ah good! And I'm leaving London on the 23rd and get to HK on the 24th, how about you?
Reply 585
Ah good! And I'm leaving London on the 23rd and get to HK on the 24th, how about you?

You'll definitely get it on time then, yay!
I'm leaving on the 14th, so I'll be in Hong Kong already on the 15th!
I'd just like to ask for opinion, is HKU Law really that much better than CUHK Law?

After the 4 year undergraduate degree, does being in HKU or CUHK affect your chances of getting into PCLL? Or it won't really matter just so long as you do well at either uni? And how about other unis in the US/UK, (if i'm considering studying there later on) will they think a law degree at HKU is better than a CUHK one?

This has been worrying me for months, so I'd really appreciate any sort of opinion! Thanks :smile:
Original post by Mahree
You'll definitely get it on time then, yay!
I'm leaving on the 14th, so I'll be in Hong Kong already on the 15th!

oh wow that's early! hope you have a good journey out there, not long to go!
Reply 588
oh wow that's early! hope you have a good journey out there, not long to go!

Thanks!
I'm starting to feel a bit nervous about it actually, keep imagining my bags falling apart on the coach or something. The horror.
guys i ned some help I dont know whetherto go for hkust for business or ucl economics and grography joint degree??

thanks a lot people!!
Original post by BlueIcee
I'd just like to ask for opinion, is HKU Law really that much better than CUHK Law?

Yes.

Regarding job prospect, yes.

Regarding further studies, yes.

Regarding standards of academic, yes.

Regarding quality of students, yes.

Regarding prestige, yes.

Many people even say City University is better.

After the 4 year undergraduate degree, does being in HKU or CUHK affect your chances of getting into PCLL?

Yes.

Or it won't really matter just so long as you do well at either uni?

More HKU graduates go into PCLL, but an important thing to remember is that HKU gets As students, CUHK gets Bs.

And how about other unis in the US/UK, (if i'm considering studying there later on) will they think a law degree at HKU is better than a CUHK one?

Probably. If anything, CUHK's very new so they have 0 connection whatsoever, with academics from not particularly shiny background.
Original post by LightMarauder
guys i ned some help I dont know whetherto go for hkust for business or ucl economics and grography joint degree??

thanks a lot people!!

Need to know your background and what you want to do with the degrees in the future.

But if I were in your situation, I'd go for UCL instead if my family is funding me.
Yes.

Regarding job prospect, yes.

Regarding further studies, yes.

Regarding standards of academic, yes.

Regarding quality of students, yes.

Regarding prestige, yes.

Many people even say City University is better.

Yes.

More HKU graduates go into PCLL, but an important thing to remember is that HKU gets As students, CUHK gets Bs.

Probably. If anything, CUHK's very new so they have 0 connection whatsoever, with academics from not particularly shiny background.

Thanks for your reply! :smile:
Thanks for your reply! :smile:

But if CUHK Law is your only offer, you should still go for it. It is still possible to be a lawyer though wherever you go, it's difficult to become an actual one in Hong Kong. Generally in HKU you need to have second upper class honours to go into PCLL. Now, how difficult is that in law? I have little idea. (I have a lot of friends doing law but since I don't do it myself I can't really know how it's like especially when everybody whatever they do claims to be very busy anyway.)
Reply 594
Original post by emiilly
Heey! noo, im studying IB in Sweden! and so sorry, i haven't done the interview yet! but GOOD LUCK!:smile:

heyy you are from Sweden i was wondering if you could tell me how its like to study there :biggrin: I really want to go to uni there at Karolisnka Institutet.. from the research I've done seems a really good uni but apparently cost of living in hella high in Sweden :eek:
Need to know your background and what you want to do with the degrees in the future.

But if I were in your situation, I'd go for UCL instead if my family is funding me.

I've taken a-levels and my parents are able to fund me. I will probably come back to hong kong for employment but may move to UK, US or other countries later. I am likely to do a masters and go into banking, although I am quite open to other paths.

Why UCL?
I've taken a-levels and my parents are able to fund me. I will probably come back to hong kong for employment but may move to UK, US or other countries later. I am likely to do a masters and go into banking, although I am quite open to other paths.

Why UCL?

UCL better for career in Hong Kong.
UCL better for career in Hong Kong.

why? don't companies recruit in hkust?
why? don't companies recruit in hkust?

For worse positions, with less competitiveness. Local degrees are never as respected as overseas ones, let alone comparing one from HKUST (Top 50 globally) with UCL (Top 5 globally).
For worse positions, with less competitiveness. Local degrees are never as respected as overseas ones, let alone comparing one from HKUST (Top 50 globally) with UCL (Top 5 globally).

But isn't global business really competitive to get into and companies recit before you even graduate? is that not the same case for business?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending