The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ami_
Neither am I funnily enough! Lucky you! Next year I will be studying about Russia, as far as I know we'll be covering the 'Cold War', the Bolsheviks, communism and Soviet Russia :smile: I took advanced bio and chem too, not sure if I will cope, haha

That sounds like a brilliant topic! Love learning about Russia and stuff like that. For advanced we do the American Civil War which I have absolutely no interest in hah! That sounds like an awful lot of work, good luck:wink:
Original post by Ami_
Fair enough. I was actually recommended to do this by my teacher, and I had only recommended it because I had gained success with this method.

I also only revised three essays per unit. I thought it better to have three strong essays as to six weaker essays. I did this for both the preliminary exam and the final exam; both were fine.
Reply 582
Original post by MichGaughan97
That sounds like a brilliant topic! Love learning about Russia and stuff like that. For advanced we do the American Civil War which I have absolutely no interest in hah! That sounds like an awful lot of work, good luck:wink:

Thank you! You too with your advanced english :wink:
Reply 583
Original post by EllaGwenn
I also only revised three essays per unit. I thought it better to have three strong essays as to six weaker essays. I did this for both the preliminary exam and the final exam; both were fine.

Yay, I feel better now..
Reply 584
Original post by OxFox
I just emailed the sqa to ask them so we'll see what they say. in sure by the first line in the answer they'll know what topic you're doing to I wouldn't give it too much thought :smile:

Oh good! Yeah here's hoping haha!
Okay: attention anyone worrying about not writing question numbers or whatever!! (I don't take history, I have no idea what you were meant to write...) My mum is the chief invigilator at my school; just so you know, the chief invigilator (i.e the person who packages it all away etc) should have checked whether or not you wrote the right stuff in terms of candidate number, topic etc. If you forgot, they will add it in. Also, even if they didn't SQA won't penalise you (apart form anything, the sheer number of people who forget each year would have massive swathes of people who fail without reason). Worst case scenario, if you forgot AND your invigilator didn't check, you've caused some extra admin for someone. That's all - please don't worry.
Reply 586
Original post by Kintsukuroi
Okay: attention anyone worrying about not writing question numbers or whatever!! (I don't take history, I have no idea what you were meant to write...) My mum is the chief invigilator at my school; just so you know, the chief invigilator (i.e the person who packages it all away etc) should have checked whether or not you wrote the right stuff in terms of candidate number, topic etc. If you forgot, they will add it in. Also, even if they didn't SQA won't penalise you (apart form anything, the sheer number of people who forget each year would have massive swathes of people who fail without reason). Worst case scenario, if you forgot AND your invigilator didn't check, you've caused some extra admin for someone. That's all - please don't worry.

Aw that's good then! I'm not panicking as much now hahaha
Original post by Ami_
Thank you! You too with your advanced english :wink:

Thanks pal!
Reply 588
Original post by MichGaughan97
Thanks pal!

What else are you doing?
Guys today was horrendous for my second essay! Paper 1 overall was not too bad but Paper 2 made up for it
Original post by Ami_
What else are you doing?

I'll be doing Higher Media, Higher Politics and maybe French, I'm not too sure about French though! :redface:
Question for anyone!

In comparison questions, are you supposed to add in pieces of your own knowledge after you have stated where sources agree/disagree?
I have always added in one or two sentences at the end of each of my four comparisons of my own recall just to expand on the points the sources make...

If thats wrong, will i lose marks? :eek: Im freaking out a bit! :confused:
Original post by c_illusions
Question for anyone!

In comparison questions, are you supposed to add in pieces of your own knowledge after you have stated where sources agree/disagree?
I have always added in one or two sentences at the end of each of my four comparisons of my own recall just to expand on the points the sources make...

If thats wrong, will i lose marks? :eek: Im freaking out a bit! :confused:

No need for recall but no, you won't lose marks :smile:
Reply 593
Original post by AspiringMedic8
This is SQA :smile:

Ahhh woops! I think I read 'Higher' as in Higher tier. All the best in your exams you lovely Scottish people across the border xx
Reply 594
Original post by Ami_
Fair enough. I was actually recommended to do this by my teacher, and I had only recommended it because I had gained success with this method.

I really don't think learning 3 essays would get anyone anywhere, I learned all 5 of my Britain essays and only 4 of my America and I was tempted to not learn an America essay and just learn 3 but knowing my luck the 3 I never learned would come up so I would say you were just very very lucky! Always learn at least 4!
the relief when i saw the word suffragettes in that paper today! It went as well as it could have gone for me :smile:
Original post by claudiascott
the relief when i saw the word suffragettes in that paper today! It went as well as it could have gone for me :smile:

When we had to make a correction in the paper I took a sneak peak at the Britain section and my heart leaped with joy! I could not believe it! I was ecstatic!!!!!!
Original post by Am5
I too am beyond angry that no Nazi questions appeared today. My teacher has always told us that we should always revise both Liberal/Labour Reforms and both Rise of the Nazis/Nazi state as at least one of each topic will DEFINITELY appear. She has been teaching 10+ years so knows what she is talking about. The topics we do for our European Section is Italian Unification/Nationalism which I'm completely clueless about but had no option but to write a half-hearted attempt at this essay. After the exam both History teachers in the department came down to see how we got on and when we told them, they were outraged. They are even attempting to contact the SQA to see what they can do over their lack of consideration. We don't cover German Unification in our school so both Higher Classes were left no option but to do Italy which 85% of us were not happy about!

However, Paper 2 (Migration & Empire 1830-1939) was an excellent paper and Women with the Vote went well. I'm just hoping that my women essay combined with Paper 2 and my Extended Essay is enough to get me my target grade - which is B.

My teacher began shouting about it, haha. I think he was angry at the fact we had went so in depth with the Nazis and only touched on some other factors, but unification was not wholly covered. I'm hoping I've scraped even 5 marks for it, purely to pull up my grade slightly. I think 4 people in my entire class attempted a Germany essay! Migration and Empire was brilliant. It's positive marking as well, which is great considering I wrote and extra 3 pieces of recall, which I didn't need, on to the 10 markers to ensure I got the marks! I'm confident I'll get high marks for paper 2, which will hopefully shift my grade up. My women and the vote essay was pretty good, so I hope I get maybe 16 or 17. Then my extended essay is predicted an A, not sure how good an A though, hopefully around 23/24. My target grade was an A, I doubt I'll get it after that terrible Germany essay, but nothing can be done now...
Original post by nualamitchell
can anybody tell me what points of recall they used for the question 'how far does source A explain edwards resolution of the great cause?' thanks

I really struggled with that question. I only put down four very basic bits of recall. If I get any marks I'll be super impressed.

I put down the decision that Balliol was the rightful heir and his coronation at Scone. Robert Bruce being the first to accept Edward as his overlord and Balliol being one of the last (I was really scraping for something here, I'm not even sure if that actually happened or not). I mentioned that the Scots believed that Edward's overlordship only lasted until the true heir was decided, however this was not the case.

I literally panicked for that question, haha.

I think you could have mentioned how the Guardians thought that Robert Bruce had a hand in Edward's enforcement of the overlordship.
How the agreement of overlordship also meant that Edward had the legal possession of Scotland. His overlordship meant that he was no longer a neutral party and was instead the sole holder of the right to give away Scotland.
Edward taking so long to decide the true heir was likely to establish himself as overlord and to make it harder for the Scots to shake him off and for the Scottish King to establish his authority.
Bruce's early oath to Edward could have signified that Bruce felt he needed to win Edward's favour, as opposed to Balliol who was the last claimant to accept the terms.
You might have also been able to mention how only three of the thirteen claimants had a serious claim, and they were all descended from the daughters of David the Earl of Huntingdon.
Edward's decision to name Balliol as the true heir, despite much debate among nobility that Bruce deserved the throne more.

I wish I thought of all this at the time. :frown:

That question was the one I struggled on the most. How did the rest of the exam go for you?
can't believe no Rise of nazi came up for you guys!!😔 on the other hand why appeasement and reasons for democracy were a gift, and paper 2 Scottish wars was the easiest one I've ever seen (apart from question 1!) so overall perfect day!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending