Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I've tidied this thread. Please keep this on topic as per the OP and keep any debate regarding student finance in your new shiny thread here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2880735

Thanks!

Neostigmine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C=N-R)
    Yeah I totally agree, it's a joke! Everyone should be assessed equally. My household income is 55k+ before tax and it's not as if we are rich, my mum and dad have bills to pay, cars, gas and electricity and there is four of us (two brothers and one sister) They should make the threshold 70k+, that's when families are well-off and comfortable.
    The threshold should probably be increased, but being assessed equally...really? My parent combined income is 19k a year and they both work full time. So my application being assessed on the same level as a 50k or 70k income household is ridiculous. At least your parents have the option to help you out, I'd be lucky to not feel apprehensive asking for £10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolcucumber007)
    The threshold should probably be increased, but being assessed equally...really? My parent combined income is 19k a year and they both work full time. So my application being assessed on the same level as a 50k or 70k income household is ridiculous. At least your parents have the option to help you out, I'd be lucky to not feel apprehensive asking for £10.
    Earning 70k does not necessarily mean your parents will be willing or even able to give you any money. Cashflow does not mean expendable income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Earning 70k does not necessarily mean your parents will be willing or even able to give you any money. Cashflow does not mean expendable income.
    Sure, so a 70k household has no expendable income? That's pretty difficult to believe, and you're missing the point, while a 70k income household has the option to give to their child, an under 20k income household (with six members) does not. If a well-off household chooses to spend their money on a shiny car or expensive nurseries and somehow is unable to support their child, that's their decision, I don't think this entitles a member of this household to be viewed on an equal platform as someone from an socio-economically deprived background whose parents struggle to pay most bills.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, so a 70k household has no expendable income? That's pretty difficult to believe, and you're missing the point, while a 70k income household has the option to give to their child, an under 20k income household (with six members) does not. If a well-off household chooses to spend their money on a shiny car or expensive nurseries and somehow is unable to support their child, that's their decision, I don't think this entitles a member of this household to be viewed on an equal platform as someone from an socio-economically deprived background whose parents struggle to pay most bills.
    I don't think you understand. Just because you earn £70k, it does not mean that you have any expendable income. With personal debt, mortgages, business expenses, etc. £70k can disappear very quickly.

Why should a child be financially punished because of the poor financial decisions their parents made?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    I don't think you understand. Just because you earn £70k, it does not mean that you have any expendable income. With personal debt, mortgages, business expenses, etc. £70k can disappear very quickly.

Why should a child be financially punished because of the poor financial decisions their parents made?
    Personal debt? Mortgages? Sure, and people on less than 20k also have to pay these. Why would business expenses be coming out of personal income?
    If this privileged child is suffering so greatly after living in a great area and going to a wonderful school, they should find a job, much like what the rest of us are doing to fund uni. I believe the threshold for receiving student income should be raised but I don't think two near opposite ends of the spectrum should be viewed as financial equals.
    My friend from a single parent household (earning well under 20k) gets berated by her richer over (60k) household friends for receiving a scholarship of less than 2k, which I fins frankly ridiculous. Even while their parents earn over 3x more than her parent.

ReputationRep:
    Personal debt? Mortgages? Sure, and people on less than 20k also have to pay these. Why would business expenses be coming out of personal income?
    If this privileged child is suffering so greatly after living in a great area and going to a wonderful school, they should find a job, much like what the rest of us are doing to fund uni. I believe the threshold for receiving student income should be raised but I don't think two near opposite ends of the spectrum should be viewed as financial equals.
    My friend from a single parent household (earning well under 20k) gets berated by her richer over (60k) household friends for receiving a scholarship of less than 2k, which I fins frankly ridiculous. Even while their parents earn over 3x more than her parent.
    You seem quite ignorant to the situations in which people can find themselves in regarding debt, and clearly haven't understood what I've written. I'm not saying that every person who earns £70k can't afford to help their child with university. I'm saying that there are some who can't, and the child shouldn't be punished for being unlucky enough to be born into a family with that issue.

Also it's amusing that you think earning £70k automatically makes someone privileged. In some areas that is far from the case.

Anecdotal evidence means nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    You seem quite ignorant to the situations in which people can find themselves in regarding debt, and clearly haven't understood what I've written. I'm not saying that every person who earns £70k can't afford to help their child with university. I'm saying that there are some who can't, and the child shouldn't be punished for being unlucky enough to be born into a family with that issue.

Also it's amusing that you think earning £70k automatically makes someone privileged. In some areas that is far from the case.

Anecdotal evidence means nothing.
    Actually no I've completely understood, but debt isn't a problem for only 70k earners. And no the child should get a job. Actually compared to a 15k household it does make them privileged.
    You're talking about some hypothetical 70k household.

ReputationRep:
    Actually no I've completely understood, but debt isn't a problem for only 70k earners. And no the child should get a job. Actually compared to a 15k household it does make them privileged.
    You're talking about some hypothetical 70k household.
    Debt can be a problem for everyone. Hence why every student should be treated the same financially.

ReputationRep:
    I think my maintenance loan is 8.2k?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    For 2017

Tuition Loan: £958 at the moment but will double this year. Max: £5000 per year.
    Maintenance Grant: £1100
    Bursaries: £0
    Scholarships: £0
    Savings: £4000+
    Money from Parents: £0

Accommodation Cost: £40 p/m
    Weekly spend after Accommodation: £0

(Original post by David B)
    Well I've seen the old threads about how much people are getting and was wondering how much people are going to be getting for 2014.

In the past I've seen that there are people who are only getting like £30 a week which doesn't seem very much to live on for the entire week. Also mention how much your accommodation is going to cost because it'll be interesting to know

Use this format to keep it easy

Maintenance Loan:
    Maintenance Grant:
    Bursaries:
    Scholarships:
    Savings:
    Money from Parents:

Accommodation Cost:
    Weekly spend after Accommodation:

Mine are.

Maintenance Loan: £3862
    Maintenance Grant: £3387
    Bursaries: N/A
    Scholarships: £2400
    Savings: None
    Money from Parents: None

Accommodation Cost: £3403 (37 Weeks)
    Weekly spend after Accommodation: £168

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.